Hi, I am with Telus and thinking of picking up the Blackberry Tour. I have ... BlackBerry Tour forum

quiksilver no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    306DA124

Using Tour/Bold Overseas

Advertisement

Hi, I am with Telus and thinking of picking up the Blackberry Tour. I have been relocated overseas (Czech Republic) and was wondering if this phone would work over there on their GSM networks (Telefonica O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile) The other question is: Telus also offers the BB Bold 9700 that comes with a SIM card. If I were to unlock this phone, will I be able to use this phone with a European GSM carrier? or should I just stick to the BB Tour? From what I saw on the carriers sites, the "latest" model they offer is the BB Bold 9000. Not sure if this means that neither phone will work on the Czech carriers' networks. What are you thoughts?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    This should be of help to you in making your decision.

PIN/ID
    306DA124
    Wow quick reply But I am still confused. Is the Bold 9700 able to also do GSM/CDMA so therefore I could use it in Europe?

No, the 9700 is NOT a CDMA phone, the 9630 is, but both phones WILL work on GSM networks, which means they'd both work in Europe. Europe does not use CDMA.

PIN/ID
    306DA124
    This is where I got confused. If the 9700 is not a CDMA phone, how is this being offered by Telus? Did they finally make the switch to GSM?

Couldn't tell you that, quik. One thing you'll have to do in either case is get the phone unlocked.

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2
    I can tell you that for Verizon both phones would work in the Czech Republic. As Roger mentioned, both have GSM capabilities (the Tour has both CDMA and GSM functionality) With Verzion (which I know you don't have), Vodaphone is the EU network that you would be accessing.