I have been attempting to connect my Blackberry Tour 9630 to my laptop and use ... BlackBerry Tour forum

bearpsid4m no está en línea Stack level 1

Trouble connecting Tour 9630 to WinXP Machine and using Mass Storage Mode

Advertisement

I have been attempting to connect my Blackberry Tour 9630 to my laptop and use the Mass Storage Mode. When I first set up my phone a couple months ago, I had much difficulty getting it to work as a modem and spent some time on the phone with Sprint. We finally got it working. However, I wanted to turn on Mass Storage Mode this week so that I could easily transfer files between my laptop and my SD card on the phone. (The Media Manager within the Blackberry Desktop Manager stinks). I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the BB and Sprint stuff with no luck. I ran the suggested pinstack fix from Safiy [Mass Storage Issues? (Here's the fix)]. If I connect the phone to a different machine it loads fine, which makes me believe it is an issue with windows. When I look at the Device manager, I see the Blackberry Smartphone under Universal Serial Bus controllers. I also see a big long number under other devices – It has the Big Yellow Question mark for unknown device. If I go into the properties on this device, it has an error code of 28 (Drivers Error). If I try to reinstall the driver, it tells me it can’t find an associated driver even if I point directly to the driver. The item does not show under Disk Drives (On my working machine I see RIM Blackberry SD USB Devices under Disk Drives) I am at a loss on how to clean up this mess. Any ideas are appreciated.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Bear, what version of Desktop Manager do you have?

I would suggest you uninstall your current DM, download and install the latest, which should also bring down the latest USB drivers and give it another go. You can find threads in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature with links to the RIM download site for Desktop Manager, as well as instructions on doing a clean uninstall of DM.

By the way, you ARE turning Mass Storage Mode ON on your device, correct?

Sorry I did not not clarify in my post. I have used the latest Desktop Manager v5.01 (uninstalled it, reinstalled it, uninstalled it and used an older usb driver (from v4.6). All to no avail.

Yes I do have Mass Storage turn on on the device. When I connect to a different PC, it works. On the laptop when I go into options >> memory, then choose the menu and select enable usb mass storage nothing happens.

Thanks for working with me.

-Bear

What OS is on your laptop?

Win XP Pro - SP3

Okay, let's try this again. Go to the Technical Support Blog link in my signature. Reference the thread about a clean uninstall of DM and go ahead and do that.

Then download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and utilize that to clean up any remnants of Desktop Manager. Reboot your laptop.

Download and reinstall Desktop Manager, including all the USB drivers, and reboot your laptop again.

You shouldn't need to enable anything on your laptop. Simply enabling the mass storage mode on the device should suffice.

Roger,

Thanks for your help. I don't see a link to the technical support blog you reference. Could you post that link for me?

-Bear

I did the clean uninstall following the directions and reinstalled Desktop Manger 5.0.1. Still not working

By the way when I uninstall the BB device from Device Manager and then reboot, it finds a Blackberry Smart Phone and installs it, a usb composite device and installs it and then tries to install the device with the long serial number and can't complete that.

-Bear