Hello all. So I have a trackball issue. I've had my Tour about 6 weeks ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

Trackball issue -- return unit -- back up?

Advertisement

Hello all. So I have a trackball issue. I've had my Tour about 6 weeks now and it's getting pretty bad.

Anway, I am going to the Verizon Store where I suspect they will replace it. My question -- someone said on another thread to "do a back-up first" so your data will be safe. My Tour syncs wirelessly with my Lotus Notes (calendar, address book, e-mail, etc.) and I don't know how to "force" a back-up. I've never used any cables or "Desktop Manager" (which I used setting up my first BB many years ago). Is "Desktop Manager" still used? If so, how tough is it?

Any help here? Am I missing something? Thank you all in advance.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yes, desktop manager is still used and it is very easy. The best thing to do is have verizon send you your replacement and use the Switch Device Wizard in the Desktop Manager to switch everything from your old BB to your new one. This will transfer all your data, settings, and 3rd party apps etc. to the new phone.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Yes, desktop manager is still used and it is very easy. The best thing to do is have verizon send you your replacement and use the Switch Device Wizard in the Desktop Manager to switch everything from your old BB to your new one. This will transfer all your data, settings, and 3rd party apps etc. to the new phone.
    Thanks. Actually, I have no apps -- just my data. If I use the Desktop Manager now, and back up my data and settings -- here comes the stupid question -- where is it backing up to? Doesn't my data back up or sync to my Lotus Notes?

Thank you.

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Despktop manager will give you the option where to save the backup file to.. Really a great idea, will save all your personal settings too.
    Andy

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I just did this about a month ago when I had to replace my 8120 and the backup was saved to My Documents. I'm not on a BES but the process is the same. Took about am hour but I got my new 8120 running.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C146 Safari/528.16

Thanks everyone.

Update -- went to the Verizon store. Even after 6 or 7 weeks they say that they have to arrange to send me a "replacement unit" (via overnight or priority mail) and they don't have any those in the store. The replacement unit is everything but the back door, the battery, and memory card (I think). So, I do have to use Desktop Manager to back up. Turns out the data transfer at the store, and my wireless sync only covers the address book, calendar and e-mail -- no settings, pictures, etc.

Now the Tech Idiot has to install and use Desktop Manager and start changing memory cards. Oh, this should be fun. LOL.

Thanks again everyone. I am sure I'll be posting again when I try and do the back up and swap.