So I called Verizon to ask about a replacement for my Tour because the trackball ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackball Issue - How NOT to Fix it!!

Advertisement

So I called Verizon to ask about a replacement for my Tour because the trackball now doesn't like to move laterally very well.

Their remedy? Wipe the device.

Not only does it NOT fix the trackball problem, it creates a ton more by losing all 3rd party apps, kills the connection to BES, and creates more hassle than anything else.

Thanks tech support!

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    You should have come here first. You don't wipe a device because the trackball doesn't work right.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Umm trackball=hardware wiping device=software. Who hired these techs? Sheesh! I'm not even a tech and I've fixed far more bb's than those idiots I bet. Don't even buy that sensitivity adjustment from them. Meaning if they tell you you gotta set the sensitivity to 70. Just tell them listen buddy I know you don't wanna replace the trackball or device just gimme a new one
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah.....

Whenever my trackball starts acting up I take apart my device and clean it.......this is not adviseable if you are still under warranty and can easily get a replacement.

If cleaning doesn't work you can go on cnn.cn and order a replacement trackball and install it (it is very simple).

P.S. Verizon workers are especially stupid, and almost ALWAYS do more harm then good!

Good luck!

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx View Post
    So I called Verizon to ask about a replacement for my Tour because the trackball now doesn't like to move laterally very well.

Their remedy? Wipe the device.

Not only does it NOT fix the trackball problem, it creates a ton more by losing all 3rd party apps, kills the connection to BES, and creates more hassle than anything else.

Thanks tech support!
    Wow really bad support... The trackball was a bad issue when the tour was first released, it has since been fixed I believe. How long have you had your Tour?
    -Josh

I've had my Tour since July 2009 and DID come here first to see if there were any fixes...I didn't find any. (see update thread just a bit down this page)

It's my own fault for listening to the moron on the other side of the phone. I know the trackball is hardware, and I still let her talk me into a wipe. Stupid.

As far as taking it apart and cleaning it, that's not REALLY advisable on the Tour since the whole bar needs to come off. It's not like some of the earlier models (8830 or Pearl for example) where you can take the ball out and clean.

Even with the sensitivity turned up, the damn thing doesn't want to work.

<sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx View Post
    I've had my Tour since July 2009 and DID come here first to see if there were any fixes...I didn't find any. (see update thread just a bit down this page)

It's my own fault for listening to the moron on the other side of the phone. I know the trackball is hardware, and I still let her talk me into a wipe. Stupid.

As far as taking it apart and cleaning it, that's not REALLY advisable on the Tour since the whole bar needs to come off. It's not like some of the earlier models (8830 or Pearl for example) where you can take the ball out and clean.

Even with the sensitivity turned up, the damn thing doesn't want to work.

<sigh>
    I've had my 8900 and Bold apart more than a few times without issue......I guess the Tour is more complex?

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    If you're still under warranty I would take it back to them and have it replaced. And yes you're right about not adviseable to take it apart like we used with the ancient bb's 81xx/83xx/87xx/etc... But nowadays most of us have graduated to the new models and have taken them apart and to be honest with you they're just as easy to take apart as the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    If you're still under warranty I would take it back to them and have it replaced. And yes you're right about not adviseable to take it apart like we used with the ancient bb's 81xx/83xx/87xx/etc... But nowadays most of us have graduated to the new models and have taken them apart and to be honest with you they're just as easy to take apart as the old ones.
    Raton - A little off topic, but I just did the black bezel swap on my 8900 last night! It looks pretty sweet, I have already had ppl ask what BB it was....

Good advice on taking it back if you've had it less than a year.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    ^^AWESOME!!! If I don't get the 9700 I'm definitely gonna pimp out my bb not to white thought kinda tasteless IMHO but to each its own. I'd rather have mine look as manly as possible and less yuppified . Congrats on the new look dude. Back to the topic. Yes, I would return it and get it exchanged or just buy the parts and have the fake techs fix it for you or venture into takint it apart yourself as many of us have done so already. Good luck dude

They're replacing it....I just have to wait until Friday and I'm in London. So I've got 2 more days of international travel without a BB. It's like someone stole my left arm.

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I know how you feel dude. Just tell them next time it happens to give you one of the new tours because when they were originally released they had the faulty trackball in them. It's a known FACT. RIM screwed up royally on that part. They should have released it with the damn trackpad to be begin with but that's another story. Just be sure to let them know. Good luck once again. And don't buy any crap from them; they'll try to tell you otherwise. Bastards!!!

zakz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow,, I wonder if they format their computers when their mouse trackballs aren't as responsive coz of dirt..