Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There are a couple of points that I see here that I agree with. We ... BlackBerry Tour forum

usmcjd no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

There are a couple of points that I see here that I agree with. We are all techies and the grass does become greener on the other side over time. I had a blackberry curve for a year and loved it, then i switched to the htc touch pro, and then the palm treo pro because I thought they might be better. I couldnt stand the stability of the operating system and the fact that I didnt have "true" push email. I then went to a blackberry flip and then to the tour. The tour is by far the best blackberry that I have ever owned. The iphone is good for some people...although I havent actually met any yet. The few guys that i know that actually switched over to the iphone (new and old) have returned them and got something else. One guy that I work with wants to return his but doesnt want to pay full price for another blackberry. His phone is constantly on the charger and his emails are always hit or miss. You can not run more than one app at a time. It doesnt sound like a big deal...until you dont have that option anymore. He cant figure out how to set ringtones without a 12 step process and the thing lags like no other when trying to open programs.

Just my observations.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Reading through this post, has been ery interesting and of course there are the bb diehards and the iphone diehards, but in the end to each his own. I know if the Iphone had come out when I was in my 20's I would have to have had it, even now every time I walk past an Apple store it is difficult not to go in.

So I am a bb user and it does all I need, but its not as flashy and the browser is not as good, and applications on the Iphone wow I would go broke in no time. I am sure it is a matter of time before I succomb, thankfully the e-mail capability on bb keeps me from spending money, just keep those adverts away from me

Thanks to Pinstack I will know when is the best time to update my phone!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegelf View Post
    dude, where did you get from my msg that i'm on a pearl still?? i own the Tour, Bold, Storm, AND curve (multiple models)!!!! right now they're sitting in my drawer.

Come on, look around.. there are lots of people unhappy/disappointed w the tour, i'm not the only one. again, i loved my BB's for yrs, didn't think twice about it. but let's be honest, it's like using MS-DOS now. yeah, the keyboard is nice, but most of us dorks are on the computer if not on the phone anyway..

Got the iPhone 3Gs 32gb. Great phone, has its weaknesses (eg still not great w typing), but far superior to BB's. I mean, the thing has a chip (GPU) exclusively for the graphics/OS.

Anyway, $100 says in 5 yrs RIM will be in bad shape. in either case, their phones suck right now. i'm tired of ripping on the iphone (previously it was warranted). If you're thinking about getting an iphone, go try it out. You'll probably be happier.

Furthermore, my problems w dropped calls has actually improved since switching to iphone. I'm not saying it was BB (b/c my older bb's didn't have that prob), but my bold/at&t combo had a crapload of dropped calls.

Yep, it's all personal taste. but as i see it, bottom line:

BB: good phone, keyboard, very customizable. crappy web, slow os.
    i phone3Gs: good phone, amazing internet, fast OS, great apps (hell it has FTP, remote desktop you name it), great video/mp3.

Peeps, it really is a better phone. go try it for a week. Don't let pride hold you back.
    I'm assuming you must be rich. You have the 4 latest BB's and youre not using them and then you turned around and copped a 3g s. I smell something, and its not good.
    Next you say that the tour OS is slow? please tell me where? I agree that the OS is dated, but its tried and true, and its still able to handle multiple apps/programs without a hitch. And thats still the biggest knock about the i phone.
    Oh, and the iphone OS is fast, very fast. If my pc can open only one program at a time (kinda like ms-dos), i would claim it to be the fastest also. Wouldn't you?
    We can throw call quality out the window, too many variables: location, carrier, phone type and such.
    Not to knock the iphone, but its not all that imho. It would be perfect for my wife because she never uses all the features of her curve, but she's too accustomed to it. And if she is in the middle of replying to a work email and a phone call interrupts and close that, she will be pissed, very pissed.
    Seriously, it is for those who are unlike us. We are techies, we know about l the latest phones: specs, multitasking, whats under the hood matters.
    I seriously just dont know about what aspect of the iphone is better than a BB (lets be specific, a tour) outside of the UI, web browser and playing music. Is it the storage, and the billions of apps? For the casual users, maybe yes, but for the business/power users, i seriously doubt it.
    Last edited by Charlie Hustle; 07-19-2009 at 12:03 AM.

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

re customer service

This is a letter I emailed Blackberry:

It is kind of upsetting when a loyal customer calls for technical support and are asked to pay $49. Especially if the customer could switch over to the Iphone and only have to take a drive 5 minute down the road to the Apple store.

But some of us stay loyal to Blackberry, because you were there for us before the Iphone hype.

I own an Ipod touch and they went out of their way to resolve an out-of-warranty issue for me. That’s what I call customer service.

Regards
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mikegelf View Post
    well.. i've had a blackberry forever.. have seen multiple people post when they were gonna finally turn to the iphone.. used to think it was crazy considering the iphone's lack of basic functions (eg copy & paste etc), but i think my time has now come. the iphone has addressed a lot of its deficiencies.

just got the tour. same old crap as ever. i think it was BB's last chance when they released the Storm, got it first day it was out.. what a POS. in my opinion, failed miserably.

granted, the Tour/Bold is the best BB yet. but come on, BB's are basically becoming obsolete. it's slow. the web sucks. and with verizon (can't stand other networks in west LA, they suck), they lock out key features making it crappier (eg gps, wifi -- and yes, wifi is good to have even if you already have the data plan).

yes -- BB is very customizable and nice little keyboard for texting.. but i think i'm over it now.

iphone -- fun, superb web, and now that the keyboard enlarges when u rotate the phone.. typing is better. now they have pdf support etc. tons of apps.

basically i'm just sick of the blackberry. it's old and slow. i'm kinda annoyed that i ported my number over to verizon, and i've been waiting for this thing and hoping it'd be an improvement, but it's not really.

honestly i think at this point anyone who really believes BB is superior is deluding themselves.. can anyone convince me i'm wrong or to not leave?

bdbrown no está en línea Stack level 2
    I mistakenly though the new iPhone was the answer. I bought the phone but in less than 12 hours I had returned the iPhone. It definitely has a great screen and a great browser but it is "Not a Business Tool." I have over 8,000 contacts on my phone and with the iPhone it took forever to find a number. Most important, I spent over three hours on the phone with Apple trying to get my business email account to sync. After making some cryptic changes to the email setup, it still did not work reliably. It also was a nightmare to use the touchscreen while trying to send emails.

I now have a BlackBerry Tour (Verizon) and love it. My email is rock solid. The spacing on the new Tour makes the keyboard much easier to use. The new screen is great. This is the very best BlackBerry that I have ever owned. This is definitely a business tool.

I can't download and purchase thousands of programs like I could on the iPhone but the ones that I need for the BlackBerry are really well written. Like I said before, the iPhone is interesting but the Tour is great.

Now if you ask my younger kids, I am pretty sure we would have a strong disagreement.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I posted this in another thread but it also applies here too.

Interesting thought?
    The iPhone went from a consumer media product and now is moving towards business use while the Blackberry has always been the business phone but now is moving towards consumers media needs.

Does anyone think they are give their customers what they want?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post

Interesting thought?
    The iPhone went from a consumer media product and now is moving towards business use while the Blackberry has always been the business phone but now is moving towards consumers media needs.

I think each one is trying to grab consumers in both markets. Personally, I like the competition between the smartphone manufacturers at the moment. The recent influx of devices into the market is spurring new ideas and innovation in the development process. RIM has held the business end of the market for quite some time and I feel hasn't always listened to the consumer in regards to features and enchancements (still waiting to install/run apps on my memory card), but they are slowly making that migration to it. I think both Apple and RIM are trying to move away from the stigma attached to them and their devices of being for businesses only and a toy.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I agree that competition amongst the different makers is great its the customer/user who makes out in the end from folks like Apple and Rim wanting us to decide who has the better toy.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    I think each one is trying to grab consumers in both markets. Personally, I like the competition between the smartphone manufacturers at the moment. The recent influx of devices into the market is spurring new ideas and innovation in the development process. RIM has held the business end of the market for quite some time and I feel hasn't always listened to the consumer in regards to features and enchancements (still waiting to install/run apps on my memory card), but they are slowly making that migration to it. I think both Apple and RIM are trying to move away from the stigma attached to them and their devices of being for businesses only and a toy.

Well said. But RIM like Microsoft is not to worried about us the small consumer, they have the big business and goverment contracts national and international.

Apple in the other hand will look after the consumer, because that's the slice of the pie left for them.

AdamC no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbrown View Post
    It definitely has a great screen and a great browser but it is "Not a Business Tool."
    Couldn't agree more. I bought a touch a month or two after the first gen came out to compliment my 8130, and am glad I have that OS as a second device.

It sure is pretty, and 90% of the time I need a web browser on the couch or somewhere else I have wifi, I'll use it. The touch also works as a great photo display and video player.

I could not see it as my primary phone device though. The lack of true background processes can't be stressed enough. I have consistently jailbroken my ipt with each firmware release, as well as PAID FOR THE NEW LEGIT FIRMWARE! I just don't see myself fully buying into apple's world with my cell phone and 2 year contract, even though I have (and happily use) an imac and ipt. It's too closed and controlled.

I actually have to hack my ipt device in order to run certain apps that increase my productivity, which doesn't sound like such a great thing on my "Business Device."

my .02.
    Adam
    Tucson, AZ
    Sprint Tour 9630

Grafixx01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post

Interesting thought?

Personally, the way I look at it, AT&T didn't have a huge market share since the 8830WE came out on VZW. The BlackBerry, yes, it appeals more towards business whereas the iPhone appeals more towards a consumer/general population usage.

Personally, I don't see any major corporation or government agency adopting the iPhone since it cannot be secured and locked down. So the iPhone appeals more to the general population. The appeal of it was pretty much to just take an iPod and add phone features to it. It's a good phone with good features, if you're going to use it for gaming, web surfing, and things like that. But if you're going to do things like that, a lot of the applications and games that are mentioned can also be done through the BlackBerry (remote desktop, games, etc). And as long as it took Apple to come out with an OS update, I'm not too keen on getting an iPhone.

If they make a CDMA version and put it on VZW, possibly and just a toy, but I won't lose my BlackBerry either. Especially since my wife and daughter have one and RIM has the (now discontinued) program BlackBerry Unite! which acts like a mini-BES for up to 5 devices. Apple has nothing like that and with a soon-to-be teen, I'm not going to pay $300+ for a cell bill!

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    I was a huge fan boy of the BB, i had the 8330, got one for wife and 2 kids and they all love it, also got lot of my friends to get bb, but now i have jumped ship to Palm Pre and honestly i love it, i do miss the BB messenger and other small things, but the Pre does everything i did on my 8330, and i totally love the touch screen, before i came to bb i had the Tre0 650 so i love touch screen, but i do not like the iphone, everyone has that phone and i dont like to follow the heard. Plus the phone can do multi-tasking, with the pre i can have as many windows open as i want, the most i had was 15 at one time and everything ran great. Yes iphone has 50k+ apps, but thats about it. and all my iphone friends agree, some are considering to get pre in nov when there contracts are done. So what i am saying is that if the iphone is good for then get it and enjoy it, but just dont get cause your friend has it.
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martinkingkng no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile

I still use my old styled blackberry 8900. I have no intention to buy a iPhone 3G or 3Gs. That is impossible for me to go with the times.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123