Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's true that RIM has fallen behind the UI department, and that the appeal of ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

It's true that RIM has fallen behind the UI department, and that the appeal of blackberry has fallen short to the iphone. I also think that giving up functionality for a better UI is ridiculous. It's obvious that we all have some sort od ADD when it comes to out devices. I too have looked to go iphone, but for me its just not there yet. Yes, it has better games and a bunch of more apps, but those are things are for entertainment purposes.

I have a few friends that have iphones and I have compared them to my Bold, Both on ATT both 3G with full service and let me tell you, the call quality blows on an iphone. Safari is the best out there and IMO is the only thing thats great about the iphone. I dont care for the thousands of pointless useless apps that are out there either.

Itouch has something I have been thinking about getting, but again it's an mp3 player and being a sound nut I think the quality of the sound is hideous, but it can surf the web and is capable of downloading apps too so you get more than other mp3 players can offer, but I want something that sounds great not something to distract me from the short comings of such a device. It seems that apple's Iphone and Itouch are great at being anything except what they truely are a phone and an mp3 player.

mikegelf no está en línea Stack level 2
    Yeah, that article totally sums it up. I love my blackberries for years, but it's time for a change. I can't believe they haven't kept up, they are being blown away here.

After only a day, my Tour is going back.. and I think I'm going to get an Iphone 3Gs.

hell, WiFi is totally locked down on Tour (I know, it's verizon's fault not RIM).. whereas the Iphone (with the right app) CAN NOT ONLY DO WIFI BUT BROADCAST ITS OWN WIFI NETWORK thereby sharing its data connection.

Everyone else is right too.. yeah we are kinda ADD and tech geeks and expect the next great thing, etc. But come on I haven't switched from RIM since 7100, so I'm not that ADD. I think it's RIM in this case, they haven't moved at all.

To be still using a BB and proclaiming it's "superior functioning" is just stupid. This thing sucks. Feels primitive. I'll miss ya RIM buddies!

Oh.. and as for warranty covering from accidental damage to Iphone.. just gonna address that by buying a SquareTrade warranty. It's cheap, and (from wha I can tell) people like them. I can't wait for some of these apps, even the dumb ones.

I feel like I'm practically using MS-DOS with the Blackberry.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegelf View Post
    Yeah, that article totally sums it up. I love my blackberries for years, but it's time for a change. I can't believe they haven't kept up, they are being blown away here.

After only a day, my Tour is going back.. and I think I'm going to get an Iphone 3Gs.

hell, WiFi is totally locked down on Tour (I know, it's verizon's fault not RIM).. whereas the Iphone (with the right app) CAN NOT ONLY DO WIFI BUT BROADCAST ITS OWN WIFI NETWORK thereby sharing its data connection.

Everyone else is right too.. yeah we are kinda ADD and tech geeks and expect the next great thing, etc. But come on I haven't switched from RIM since 7100, so I'm not that ADD. I think it's RIM in this case, they haven't moved at all.

To be still using a BB and proclaiming it's "superior functioning" is just stupid. This thing sucks. Feels primitive. I'll miss ya RIM buddies!

Did you happen to read the whole article? The second to the last paragraph says it all. That if he could only have one device a blackberry will always be on his hip. Rim knows this. when it comes to your needs a Blackberry will do it for you. why do you think RIM is selling more phones than they ever have?

And here's another article but kinda the opposite.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/10/e...he-job-market/

Two different devices for two different types of purposes, so your whole claim that a Blackberry is primitive and doesn't have superior functionality is totally off and ignorant due to the fact that the need for such a device is still in demand and still out performs all other devices out there when it comes to its specialty.

Grafixx01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    Everyone has their preference. I think the BB is more in tune with Business uses. The Storm 2, when it comes out at the end of the year, is going to be the "Storm that should have been released 1st". The first one was just an attempt to see what would happen and how much of the market VZW would grab from the iPhone and AT&T.

AT&T supposidly, may not have full exclusivity to the iPhone anymore and I hear that VZW is working with them to make a CDMA version.

I like the iPhone, for 'play'. But AT&T service, and YES I have lived in MULTIPLE states in the U.S., in my opinion, just plain old stinks. Dropped calls all the time, no signal, poor signal, etc etc. Sure they have the biggest network, but it's mainly overseas. VZW has the biggest stateside.

But like I said originally, it's personal preference and what you'll use it for.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Oh.. and as for warranty covering from accidental damage to Iphone.. just gonna address that by buying a SquareTrade warranty. It's cheap, and (from wha I can tell) people like them. I can't wait for some of these apps, even the dumb ones.

I feel like I'm practically using MS-DOS with the Blackberry.
    Dude, why are you still tootlin' around with a Pearl??? You don't even have the 4.6 or 4.7 OS. You don't have the Hi-res screen and a much much faster processor. No wonder you trippin' right now. You're stuck in 2006. Upgrade to a more recent Blackberry and then maybe your comments could be taken with a little more seriousness. That was my FIRST Blackberry......3yrs ago.
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    I got the ipod touch several months ago. I figured if it became totally indispensable to me, I'd switch to the iphone and have only one device to carry around.

I'm content carrying two devices around. Yeah, its a pain, not gonna deny. But there are things my trusty 8310 does very well that my touch just doesn't. Email management is the primary one. I love the UI of the touch, but its just not as efficient for handling lots of messages.
    The touch is fantastic for web browsing, and I have a ton of games that I like to kill time with. It also has a much better selection of news, weather, and reference apps than the BB.

The keyboard is definitely an advantage, no matter what iphone fanatics try to say. At least for me it is. I've tried to get used to the iphone screen keys, and I'm pretty good at it, but I am still a faster "one thumb" typer on my 8310 than I am with two fingers on a touch.

But I am very disappointed when I look at the OS on the Bold and the Tour. Its basically enhanced graphics of my phone. That's just unacceptable, given what the marketplace has been driving for the last 3 years.

WebOS is fantastic. In another year or so, if RIM is still "repainting" this OS and Palm keeps refining theirs, we're going to be lamenting the demise of the BB from a WebOS device. I might already be over there if Sprint didn't suck in my area and the Pre's app offerings make BB App World look like the itunes store.

Even Windows Mobile is about to catch back up to it.

Anyway. If you're on the fence about the iphone like I was, get an ipod touch for a while. You'll be glad you did.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

tpwtom no está en línea Stack level 1
    Bought a BOLD on April 23 ( ATT ), and have had two others ( reconditioned ) since then because of various issues, not turning on, not accepting a charge etc. , etc. Have always loved my BB's( 8700, 8310 ) even though I'm a long time Apple person. Waiting for my next reconditioned BOLD to arrive and if this one does not perform, I will just use my old Curve...unhappily! I'm tempted by the IPhone but it doesn't seem to suit my business needs as well as BB's re: multiple Email account easy access etc.

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Why is this discussion in the 9630 thread?

Hint hint MODS....

LOL
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by dubie76 View Post
    Why is this discussion in the 9630 thread?

Hint hint MODS....

LOL
    the OP just got a tour and was venting

to bash BB and say that they are outdated,slow and a POS is just ignorance. maybe it's not for you and you should get a iphone. i am no longer an iphone basher and if big red ever gets it i will probably have one in my arsenal but i will always own a BB.the storm is awesome and i can't wait for the storm2.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Grafixx01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30B5F65E
    Well, like I said, AT&T supposidly lost exclusivity rights to the iPhone and VZW is supposed to be working with Apple to make a CDMA version of it to launch sometime next year.

bigdog357 no está en línea Stack level 2
    well all im gonna say is if u get the iphone,ur also gonna need a hearing aid,i had it 4 1 day and took it right back,what good is a cell that u cant hear,bb is very loud,best cell phone ever made,and yes i got the new tour as well,this thing is very nice,but i love bb,not the iphone.and its allready been said but alll phones have pros and cons,best of luck to u.

Quote Originally Posted by drew4flt72 View Post
    Upgrade to a more recent Blackberry and then maybe your comments could be taken with a little more seriousness. That was my FIRST Blackberry......3yrs ago.
    dude, where did you get from my msg that i'm on a pearl still?? i own the Tour, Bold, Storm, AND curve (multiple models)!!!! right now they're sitting in my drawer.

Come on, look around.. there are lots of people unhappy/disappointed w the tour, i'm not the only one. again, i loved my BB's for yrs, didn't think twice about it. but let's be honest, it's like using MS-DOS now. yeah, the keyboard is nice, but most of us dorks are on the computer if not on the phone anyway..

Got the iPhone 3Gs 32gb. Great phone, has its weaknesses (eg still not great w typing), but far superior to BB's. I mean, the thing has a chip (GPU) exclusively for the graphics/OS.

Anyway, $100 says in 5 yrs RIM will be in bad shape. in either case, their phones suck right now. i'm tired of ripping on the iphone (previously it was warranted). If you're thinking about getting an iphone, go try it out. You'll probably be happier.

Furthermore, my problems w dropped calls has actually improved since switching to iphone. I'm not saying it was BB (b/c my older bb's didn't have that prob), but my bold/at&t combo had a crapload of dropped calls.

Yep, it's all personal taste. but as i see it, bottom line:

BB: good phone, keyboard, very customizable. crappy web, slow os.
    iphone 3Gs: good phone, amazing internet, fast OS, great apps (hell it has FTP, remote desktop you name it), great video/mp3.

Peeps, it really is a better phone. go try it for a week. Don't let pride hold you back.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    it's like using MS-DOS now.
    That's pretty good

DOS was "IT" back in the day and I still have 6.2 if I recall the last version?
    We've come a long way is a short amount of time.

thenext no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm actually the opposite. I have a Pearl 8100 then an 8300 from at&t back when they first came out. The day the first iPhone came out I grabbed that and since then have owned each successive model.

Maybe I just needed a change being a phone nerd and all, but I just picked up the Tour and love it. For its connectivity, BB can't be beat. Actual notifications and multi-tasking has no substitute. Push notifications just weren't cutting it for me.

For browsing, games, media ... I still prefer the iPhone. I picked up a Verizon MiFi that lets me use the iPhone over WiFi (as well as Google Voice when the app launches). At this point I'm very satisfied with the switch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast