I'm getting rid of my storm very very soon so should the tour be the ... BlackBerry Tour forum

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8

should the tour be the one i go for?

Advertisement

I'm getting rid of my storm very very soon so should the tour be the way i go or should i get away from bb all together??

thanks

Pat
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    I take it your on verizon unless your storm is unlocked but verizons phone selection is (in my own opinion) not that good and as far as a all around phone, i think the BB lineup is the best they have....im just curious how well the response is going to actually end up being for the optical sensor

bbmike no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23A4788C
    With the Tour you get the power of the Bold with the function and style of the Curve. I tried the Storm for a few months and it did not take. Just can't handle touchscreens in general. I even gave the mighty iPhone a go 2 different times. For me, email, texting, and messaging are important and I can't live without a QWERTY. Not sure I would try any other OS than BB. I believe my Tour will answer my needs for at least the next year to 2. After that....who knows. Good luck.
    PIN anytime: 23A4788C

Using Torch on Telus in Canada.

petemoralez no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30B6A8D7
    I agree with bbmike, the tour is definitely the way to go. I had the storm since it got released and made the mistake of selling my curve to get the storm. I had no choice but to keep the storm but I did have the option of going back to the curve but I heard about the tour... Well I couldn't help it... I just had to deal with the storm hehe I'm in love with my tour
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Really, none of us know you or know how you use a device, you can decide carrier first, or decide device first, or decide firm factor first, or a myriad of other things that will then start to limit your choices.
    If you want a QWERTY BlackBerry on Verizon or Sprint or USCellular or Telus or Bell or whoever, the choice is obviously a Tour. If you want an iPhone, go see ATT. If your priorities are otherwise, you'll need to figure that out.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105
    Last edited by azstar; 08-03-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: content edit

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Get a curve.....lol
    "good things come to tho's who wait"

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I agree however that ultimately the decision is up to the OP, but these topics do foster a good debate thread. For the OP, I would always recommend choosing the carrier FIRST and device second. I know a couple people who grabbed the iPhone for the sake of having it and lament going to AT&T. If you're happy with your carrier, start looking at what you need/want from a device and go from there. RIM has a great feature on their site that allows you to compare the specs of each of their devices side by side. I would highly recommend looking it over.
    Last edited by azstar; 08-03-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: removed quoted post which has been edited
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Because posts like this usually drum up enough replies to give the OP a good list of good/bad experiences with the device. I agree however that ultimately the decision is up to the OP, but these topics do foster a good debate thread. For the OP, I would always recommend choosing the carrier FIRST and device second. I know a couple people who grabbed the iPhone for the sake of having it and lament going to AT&T. If you're happy with your carrier, start looking at what you need/want from a device and go from there. RIM has a great feature on their site that allows you to compare the specs of each of their devices side by side. I would highly recommend looking it over.

which is the exact reason why i made the post. there hasnt really been a discussion on whether or not the tour is actually worth it or not. when i had my 8800 and then my curve i never even questioned whether it was worth it or not but now...the way rim has been releasing pieces of crap......i do question the devices. so i turn to the stacks and ask questions so the people who have the phone can tell me their experiences with the device and whether or not its actually worth buying or not. im already on vzw so its just a matter of a phone now. I ask questions because i want to know something that i do not have the answer to. not because i didnt already think about it "DUH"
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

terryzx no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30D1DFAF
    I wanted an iPhone but since it is not on Verizon yet....I got the Tour and I LOVE IT!!!

I might not even get the iPhone now since I like it so much

ditguy no está en línea Stack level 1
    The tour is awesome. I'm a newb to this forum but it helped me get some answers to questions I had. I had the BB curve from Verizon for some time and I use my bb all day, which is integrated with my BES server for Exchange. I loved the curve since it had the full QWERTY keyboard and it was lightweight and easy to use. Here are some first glimpse reactions when I got it on 7/20...only a few days.

- Very nice upgrade to the curve with almost all the same functionality and design, slightly bigger and heavier, design seems much more flush than the curve but very well built aside from the flimsy battery removal case
    - The screen resolution, image quality and added functionality to the multimedia features is sweet...i love how you can click on an image and just scroll the ball to view pictures like a slideshow. Color is crisp and very clean throughout all built in apps
    - The speakers improved tremendously and you can actually here music when playing outside and loud enough to have someone tell you to lower the volume. I downloaded Pandora and streamed Internet music and it played flawlessly...another plus if you don't have mp3's loaded but still want music streaming
    - I like how they moved the MicroSD slot so that it's accessible without removing the battery, this was a big annoyance when I had the Curve
    - Didn't like how the device had MicroUSB connection since I had a car charger, extra wall charger and USB cable...I'm about convenience and I like to have everything at home, car and office so I don't have to carry things around.
    - Nice of RIM to include a 2GB MicroUSB card
    - The browser is much better than the curve and reminds me a bit of OperaMini but better integrated for the BB device
    - After using the device for a while it heats up in the back, you can definately tell it's warmer so I'm guessing it's the processor
    - I heard all this buzz about it being much faster but when I attached it to our BES server and during activation, it took many reboots before it seemed to catch up to the commands. Be prepared to be a little frustrated as you tweek the device to your settings and add applications since it slows down the navigation. Also, I didn't like how it reacted to the end button (the red phone key, not sure what people call it here) while it was in the middle of a busy application or process...it took way to long to get to the home screen.
    - Email and calendaring has improved a lot for the BES Exchange integration. You can now check availability of your invited attendees for meeting requests and also set a conference call option. It's a huge plus when arranging meetings since previously, you only invite and that's about it. Also can check next availability
    - CAUTION, you can set default conference call moderator and participant information but it shows up to the invited attendees so I wouldn't put the moderator passcode or number if you're concerned of security. Also, when you send the invite it shows up as CCMXXXXXXXXXXxpasscode and CCPXXXXXXXXXXxpasscode. RIM could have done a better job by spelling out Conference Call Moderator and Passcode before the numbers show up. The example above would be your bridge number and the numbers following "x" is the passcode. Who would know what the hell that means if you don't have a Tour?
    - Filed messages that have attachments do not show that it has an attachment in the message list. Only shows the paperclip icon for attachment when not filed into a folder
    - Nice new alarm/clock application
    - Much more customizable features in all the menu options
    - The sound profiles were very annoying at first since it seems to have changed from the Curve. Previously you were able to customize each of the built in profiles. With the Tour, if you activate a profile and select the "Set Ring Tones/Alerts" option, which I naturally thought would be the advanced/customize option for each profile, it sets it as the default for all profiles. The only way I found to customize my individual needs was to create my own profiles. I use vibrate only all day for all alert types since I'm in the office and when at home I have a phone and SMS only mode so I don't get all the emails and other alerts.
    - Sound profile can be accessed through your home screen at the top left
    - 6 apps available in the home screen instead of the 5 in the curve
    - Lock/Unlock feature can be accessed at the push of a button on the top left of the device, I had to program one of my convenience keys for this. Now I use the left key for Bluetooth and right key for camera...bluetooth active will drain the battery faster
    - Another annoyance is that it expands all Outlook folders. I have a ton of folders and it's really annoying when trying to file a message and scrolling through the list. I haven't found a way to make it collapse. The Curve remembered the folders you had collapsed but the Tour seems to default to expand every single folder in Outlook

This is my initial impression for what it's worth. I also found a good site that has some apps/games compatible with the Tour. The file manager is awesome. I'll post when I have time to pull the link from my laptop.

Just want to say this place is awesome and I found a lot of useful information.