Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is a copy of a thread that was posted on SupportForums.blackberry.com "REMOVE BING FROM ... BlackBerry Tour forum

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Removing BING from the Blackberry

Advertisement

Here is a copy of a thread that was posted on SupportForums.blackberry.com

"REMOVE BING FROM BLACKBERRY

12-28-2009 06:15 PM - last edited on 12-28-2009 09:16 PM by jakoby4204
    I have been a Verzion customer for 10 years now. I have 7 phone lines and pay them roughly 6-7k per year. Forcing something unwanted in my direction is completely unethical and uncalled for.

So, this BING icon shows up on my phone.
    a) I don't want it
    b) I don't want something unwanted shoved in my face
    c) I don't want to carry around advertising for a product I don't care to use
    d) I find out that there is not really a way to remove this and it messes up some of the Google features I CHOSE to use
    e) When I go to Options>Advanced Options>Service Book and remove the BING service book, it reinstalls iteself upon rebooting my phone... This constitutes something being shoved in my face, not cool.

So, my resolution to this is to file FCC complaints for a "Deceptive or Unlawful Advertising or Marketing Complaint". I did it and I feel if enough people do it as well, then Verizon will be forced to remove this or give us the option to remove this unwanted software. This is the most effective way to shove something in their face from the consumer.

FCC Complaint form: esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/new_complaints.action?request_locale=en

Everyone file complaints and lets show Verizon that we, the customer that keeps them in business cannot be treated this way. They should appreciate our business."

I thought it might be of interest!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    My Alltel BlackBerrys came with a Yahoo! icon, I don't recall a uproar over that. If you don't want to use it, just hide it right I don't see how this is in any way deceptive or unlawful advertising.

Now as for them removing other search options from the start page in the browser and only having Bing, that's a nuisance, but still not unlawful. But if it affected me I would complain to big V about that. But at least bookmarking Google is an easy work around.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

I was just reporting what I saw! Bing has a nice interface but I am a Google user.

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    He must be Mac user. LOL. There is a lot of add-ons that get pushed to a bb: myspace, handango, etc. Not to burst his bubble, but $7k a year are pennies compared to some corporate accounts.
    Last edited by visionthing; 01-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Certainly provokes discussion. I like Bing, good interface, but I also like Google, use them both. I have also noticed a lot of other items pushed to my phone, since all they are are links I plaiced the ones I didn't want in a directory and leave it alone. No big deal certainly doesn't need a letter to the FCC

There are a lot of the things happening today that we should be upset about and trying to do things to chnage, an icon on a phone screen is not one of them

PIN/ID
    Apple
    There are a lot of the things happening today that we should be upset about and trying to do things to chnage, an icon on a phone screen is not one of them[/QUOTE]

Well said, with all the things happening in this country right now a icon that you don't want shouldn't take up your time. If that's your game, fine. IMO, that time it took to write that letter to the fcc about an icon you could have sent one to your congressman or senator asking why they voted a health care bill through that the majority of the public didn't want. I'll just hide my icon BTW.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    There are a lot of the things happening today that we should be upset about and trying to do things to chnage, an icon on a phone screen is not one of them

Well said, with all the things happening in this country right now a icon that you don't want shouldn't take up your time. If that's your game, fine. IMO, that time it took to write that letter to the fcc about an icon you could have sent one to your congressman or senator asking why they voted a health care bill through that the majority of the public didn't want. I'll just hide my icon BTW.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we all know the healthcare system needs reform, but not the way it has been pushed through. This is one time I believe that the bill should have been read, discussed, reviewed, examined and compared to other countries systems that work well, then expanded to work properly instead of being powere through by a majority congress so that they can say they were the ones that made history, make me angry
    Last edited by dushdavj; 01-03-2010 at 08:38 PM.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    For sure, that bill made me angry also. What I don't think most people understand is that all of this doesn't take effect until 2013 but we start paying for it next year because the government doesn't have the money to pay for it right now. So next year you're going to be paying for healthcare you have now plus paying to put money into the pot for this thing they call healthcare. All this is going to lead to is one healthcare provider, the government, how sad is that. Healthcare doesn't need that much reform that obama wants you to think. we have great healthcare in this country, and everybody has healthcare, just not everybody pays for it. thats the truth, if you dont have healthcare you go to the doctor or hospital and you get treated, thats the law. its not that hard to understand and make a good system great, the politicians want to use it for political gain. i always thought that the people we elect to represent us in washington we're to do what WE said as a majority, not just because their hunting buddy said it was good.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Please no more thread jacking guys. Feel free to take this convo to the lounge
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

PIN/ID
    Apple
    NP. To the OP, could you post a link to the FCC section of that law, i would like to read what it has to say before i comment further on this matter.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Ok back on subject, on PC's when you dowload certain programs they try and takeover your homepage on your browser, and I constantly see Yahoo, Google or Bing trying to take over your search engine, I am pretty sure this happens on the Mac too. I have aeen McAfee try and load a Yahoo toolbar (and they are there to prevent viruses!) So how many people write and complain about this?

Seriously I do believe there are far more important things out there. Something else must have got to the guy, and this probably pushed him over the edge. Maybe healthcare sorry couldn't help it

Quote Originally Posted by visionthing View Post
    He must be Mac user. LOL. There is a lot of add-ons that get pushed to a bb: myspace, handango, etc. Not to burst his bubble, but $7k a year are pennies compared to some corporate accounts.
    LOL, I am as far away/removed of a MAc user as you can find! I will not even touch my wife's iPhone!

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    NP. To the OP, could you post a link to the FCC section of that law, i would like to read what it has to say before i comment further on this matter.
    I do not have it! I just copied over a post I saw on a different forum that I thought was interesting!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Ok, that's completely my fault, I missed the first part or lost it in reading the post that was copied. Still an interesting discussion in whether or not it infringes on this law. I'll try to find the FCC link tomorrow. Come on man, give apple a little chance, what's the worst that could happen, you get a phone that works as advertised, lol, JK man.

Well, it does not work as advertised, at least for my wife! She is always asking me to help her out with issues! I tell her: "When in doubt reboot!" the iPhone is a nice device but the Nexus One looks just as good! My big issue is data usage when traveling internationally! With a BB you can send/receive emails all you want for a flat fee, other plans/phones do not offer that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast