As a follow up to my "trackball" thread -- I received a replacement Tour from ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Tech Idiot no está en línea Stack level 3

Desktop Manager

Advertisement

As a follow up to my "trackball" thread -- I received a replacement Tour from Verizon. However, as suggested here I want to do a back-up using Desktop Manager.

About that -- anything I should know? I reviewed all the material that came with my Tour and there is nothing on DM (other than the CD). I haven't used DM since I got my original 7250 and even then I used it on day 1 for set up.

So is there anything I should know about Desktop Manager and doing a back-up? How do you know if it was successful? I have the replacement Tour in my office, can I run the back-up here, tonight, at home; or should I wait until I have the replacement unit with me?

Thank you all.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Desktop Manager will tell you at the end if the backup was completed successfully. I'd do the backup first so you have everything saved and the try the Device Switch Wizard. I've had very good success with that and I think it transfers more of your settings than a backup/restore.
    I hope this helps.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If you are wanting to get you old info from your old device you can used device switch wizard. If you are just wanting to do a backup of your new one you can do it any where you want at anytime.

Now I am a bit lost here. My data "back-up" is done randomly and syncs the e-mails, calendar, address book, etc. between my BB and Lotus Notes.

The back-up I am talking about is to back-up my pictures, settings, etc. I back that up, get the new BB activated, up and running -- and then I can get my pictures and settings onto the new BB. Is all of that right?

So what is the Device Switch Wizard?

Doesn't my old info get onto the new BB with the first wireless sync? Just not my settings and pictures, right?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You're confusing a back-up (saving off all of your device's data, settings, etc to a file on the PC), with a sync (matching up the calendar, address book, etc between the device and the PC).

If you want your new device to mirror the way you had your old device set up, then you need to use the Switch Device Wizard. You will need to have both devices in your possession to do this. If you have to return the old one prior to receiving the new one, do a back-up of the old one, then you can restore that back-up to the new device.

Either way, you need to use the Desktop Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    You're confusing a back-up (saving off all of your device's data, settings, etc to a file on the PC), with a sync (matching up the calendar, address book, etc between the device and the PC).

If you want your new device to mirror the way you had your old device set up, then you need to use the Switch Device Wizard. You will need to have both devices in your possession to do this. If you have to return the old one prior to receiving the new one, do a back-up of the old one, then you can restore that back-up to the new device.

Either way, you need to use the Desktop Manager.
    OK. Got it. I think. LOL.

Yes, I want my new device to mirror the old device was set up. Also, yes, I do have to return the old one -- but they already sent me the new one. But it's not a full device -- it's a "replacement device" as they call it. I keep the original battery, door, memory card and they send a new "device" absent those items.

So I'll try and do this tomorrow at the office. In short, yes, I want my new device to be exactly like my old device.

Thank you again very much.

Question

Yeah, I am screwed!!! So DM was installed but will not run. I am getting an error message that says some source or resource cannot be located -- but it's looking for something (an .msi file) associated with my very old 7250. We've tried to find this file but it doesn't show up anywhere. We deleted any and all files associated with BB, the 7250, etc. One empty folder cannot be deleted.

In the add/remove programs, the BBv4.1.0 for the 7250 is listed so we removed that. It reappears automatically. Same for the old DST patch/tool. We uninstalled DM and reinstalled it. No help.

I had to get the home office IT people involved. It usually takes them about 3 or 4 days to even call back and they are the ultimate losers. They call back, never leave a call back number, sometimes don't leave their name, etc. and you cannot call them directly. Have to call back the help desk who then send a message for the IT people to call you again! They stink.

If I don't get the new/replacement device back to Verizon within 10 days they are supposedly going to charge me some outrageous fee.

So -- how screwed am I here? Thanks in advance.

Easy.....you're not screwed. You need to completely uninstall the version of DM you have on your PC using these instructions.

Uninstall that old 4.1 OS again.

Once you've done that, download and install the latest DM version from here.

Try the switch again.....

You'll also want to get your device OS loaded onto your PC as well, but this shouldn't be necessary to switch the devices (I don't think).
    Last edited by RogerG; 10-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.

In case this doesn't work for some reason, take the two devices into a store and have them do it for you.

Easy.....you're not screwed. You need to completely uninstall the version of DM you have on your PC using these instructions.

Uninstall that old 4.1 OS again.

Once you've done that, download and install the latest DM version from here.

Try the switch again.....

You'll also want to get your device OS loaded onto your PC as well, but this shouldn't be necessary to switch the devices (I don't think).
    I'll try it step by step. I can't do it now, because it's not allowing me to uninstall the old 4.1 because it says it needs the CD. Is it talking about the old CD for the old 4.1 and the old 7250? If so, that's so long ago I may not have that CD. If it means the new CD that came with the new Tour, that's in my office, so again, I'll try it step by step tomorrow.

So, should I uninstall the old one first, or the new one that I just installed yesterday? Thanks again.

In case this doesn't work for some reason, take the two devices into a store and have them do it for you.
    Huh? Have them do what? They told me they could only "transfer" the calendar, address book, and I guess they said the e-mail inbox, sent box, etc. (which would happen on the first wireless sync anyway, right?).

So what do I have them do? Thanks.

Not sure about Verizon, but AT&T was able to switch devices completely for me in the store, including settings, etc.

If you can uninstall the old DM completely first, that would be better than overwriting with the new version.

Not sure about Verizon, but AT&T was able to switch devices completely for me in the store, including settings, etc.

If you can uninstall the old DM completely first, that would be better than overwriting with the new version.
    OK, I get it. My IT guy said yes, they can do that for me. However, it was uneccessary, because today -- oh boy. Brutal.

Long story short. 3 1/2 hours on the phone with corporate IT. There was an old version of DM on my laptop, or at least the remnants of it. It couldn't be uninstalled because it kept looking for a "7250.msi" file (I think that was it) and it was causing a lot of problems. Of course, the new DM couldn't be installed until the old one was uninstalled. Also, there was a folder that couldn't be deleted that had to do with the old DM. Every single time we tried to do something, it kept looking for a "7250.msi" file -- which was nowhere to be found.

So the IT guy said we have to get this old DM version off the machine. However, he couldn't do it in the normal way. He went to the RIM website and downloaded an "installer" or something which would allow him to install/reinstall/uninstall the old DM. It was kind of like he had to get the old DM on there correctly in order to correctly get it off there. He then installed/uninstalled the old version. OK. Took a long time, but got it off. Then he uninstalled/reinstalled the new version. Apparently, the CD that came in the box is damaged. It has some bad "blocks" or something. So, we had to uninstall again and download the new DM from the RIM website. Reinstalled again.

Now we do the "device switch" which was the only part that really went smoothly. So it appears that everything worked out. As soon as we were done -- totally unrelated -- a "server outage" occured so the new replacement device isn't up and running normally, but it appears that it will be. It got all the "old e-mails" from the old device over, up until the outage.

Anything else? Hopefully not. Two little issues which the IT guy said will work out after the outage (he hopes, LOL).

1) The network time/date is correct. The setting for the date/time says "network" so that's right. But the date/time on the home page is wrong. It has a date/time in August, a couple of days after I got the original Tour. But, the IT guy said it's OK and will straighten itself out.

2) The e-mails -- showing up fine in Lotus Notes. Sent an e-mail to myself (from the BB) and it showed up quick in Lotus Notes on my laptop, but not on the BB. Again, IT said an local server outage, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

3) Irony -- OK, it's stupid. The battery door doesn't slide up and down like my original device! LOL. I really didn't care about that at all and I know many people complained about that.

And of course -- my trackball works!!!

Thank you all for all of your help -- especially RoGro.

I didn't pick the name Tech Idiot by accident. It's very applicable. LOL.

LOL! Wow, well, glad you got things working, despite all the effort it took!

Thanks.

Actually, the date worked itself out, and sent/received e-mails started showing up on the BB. Funny thing though -- the e-mails, both sent and received, from Friday afternoon (from the time we started the back-up/switch, around 2:15pm) to the next day seem to be lost. All of them appear in Lotus Notes, but they don't on the BB. Kind of weird.

So -- now everything seems to be up and running and working fine. Like I was with the 7250 -- I'll probably keep this device as long as humanly possible and be the very last person on the planet using a Tour/9360, LOL. You should have heard the Verizon reps on the phone last time I called for some tech support on the 7250! It was hillarious!!!

Thanks again.