So i am currently considering purchasing a tour through sprint with a everything data plan ... BlackBerry Tour forum

Omegazab no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30c96eb6

Considering a tour.

Advertisement

So i am currently considering purchasing a tour through sprint with a everything data plan (seeing i don't use very many minutes i dont need the big everything plan). anyways there are many apps for the others in the bb family now what is working with the tour? I am also considering just going with the curve 8330 just because its cheaper and its a little more proven. But it was brought to my attention i would also be going with a phone that is nearly if not 2 years old. I have heard rumors that bb will be realeasing a version of the tour that does have wifi. Is there any validity to that? i guess that is a side question but still something to consider. Anyways i am someone that loves to research his new gadgets and i am definetly putting my work on my new phone choice. It won't be til sept so i may as well ponder away till i'm done with my current provider.

Just a note/idea: To any mods i have heard a lot of good/bad things about the tour how about a poll for those who do own one if they recommend it or do not recommend it? i dunno just a thought
    Last edited by Omegazab; 08-08-2009 at 02:36 AM.

lamoglinsgal no está en línea Stack level 3
    My Tour is on its way now. I think with any new phone, it's going to have its bugs first production. I had the Storm, and as we all know, it had/has its fair share. But with the right OS upgrades I got it running smoothly. I know getting the Tour will probably put me back at square one in that respect.

Since you're waiting until September, I'm sure some great new OS' will be out for the Tour, and possibly another phone choice or two.

As for the 8330, I also had that and it's a great device. I never had any problems with the Curve, the 8330 or 8320.

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    Hardware:
    - Loose battery cover
    - Display showing 'ripple effect' on lower two corners of screen when pressing down any of the top 5 keys including the trackball
    - Device is considerably warm after extended use (15+ minutes)
    - Headphone Jack does not work well or all of the time

Software:
    - Lag when sending SMS (SMS Screen freezes shortly before it sends)
    - Ending calls (The disconnect screen freezes for a short period before returing to main screen)
    - Notifier_BBPro_5 (audio file) does not work via the sound profiles, but will work via media
    - Notifier_BBPro_6 (audio file) sometimes sounds distorted when recieving an SMS

Possible Hardware+Software:
    - Muffled call quality
    - Extremly long bootup time after hard reset
    - Weak signal in areas where coverage was always fine
    - Vibration a tad bit on the weak side

http://forums.pinstack.com/f271/tour_9630_hardware_software_issue_list-111091/

I personally got the Palm Pre i had the Curve 8330 i do love the palm and the touch screen but pre has it short comings, yesterday i stopped of in a sprint store in NYC and played with the 9630(Tour) it is the same OS as the curve with slight modifications, my wife and 2 kids all have the 8330 and they all love except my daughter she wants a touch screen, she waiting for the Hero in the end of the year, it just depened what yo uwant your phone to do, I personally will wait with Palm and see if they fix there issues by end of year if not then i go back to my 8330, but if palm does fix there minor issues then i am keeping the pre, the pre is awesome device and has a nice bright future if palm palys it right. So what you get is up to you, just think what you want out of your phone and what kind of life do you lead(Business, consumer, media,etc..)
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    im sorry, but its not that bad at all with the tour. I have one and as a matter of fact mine is going back to sprint, for a new one. it keep doing a soft reset on me about every other day. And the BB rep three way'd me with the sprint rep and said this is an unknown issue, so they are sending me a new one and a return box for my current one.
    As far as the issues stated, its overly exaggerated, i have had mine for three weeks, and one out of every 100 sms i send, there will be a lag, call quality is excellent, signal strength is better than my 8330, way better. Yes boot up (batter pull/ soft reset) is long, about 4.5 minutes, but how many times you have to do that a week? Play with one and you still have 30 days, if you dont like it, then you can return it with no questions asked.

I love my phone, as i told the sprint rep when he asked me what phone i wanted, i said "i want the same phone i had, the tour, just one that has no restarts".

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    i have no problems with my tour........except for the fact that it lags when sending SMS and unlocking a screen....think it may be a OS issue not a hardware issue........oher than this...its been a great phone for me......tons better than the 8330 that i upgraded from...........its a world of difference......

I'm guessing and hoping it's an OS issue since it's running 4.7. My Storm had the lock/unlock lag.

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    I am hoping with from the sounds of it that some of these issues can be fixed by a software update. Those things can be overlooked as long as blackberry is taking them into account which it seems that they are decent about. I completely understand the software bugs that come out with new products. Its part of the fun of having the latest and greatest (or at least most companies say it is). I have talked to a sales person at my local sprint store and they said the coverage in my area is pretty good. I currently am using a t-mobile phone as a temp phone (not the greatest) and alltel is about to get be done with. Anyways I have always thought that a touch screen phone would be fun to have but just isn't practical because no matter how well a company seems to make a keyboard on a screen just doesn't compare to a true keypad/keyboard. I have friends with a envy touch, Samsung instinct, lg voyager, and many others and they are neat to play with but ya. I have messed with the palm pre and it was impressive but i just can't get into it. I've always had a little bit of a thing for blackberries so we will see.

How often does RIM release os updates for there phones?
    Do they release updated versions of phones that maybe aren't exactly new models? (basically a tour 2.0?)

Leaked OS's come out pretty quick and fairly often. The officials take a bit longer. Updated versions of the phone usually take a while, depending on the phone. The 8330 Curve, for example, has been out for a pretty long time. Now there is the 8530. The Storm has been out for (don't quote me) roughly 10 months, and the Storm 2 will be coming out sooner than later. But of the two, the Storm launched with way more bugs.

Beware, though, OS updating can become quite the addiction.

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    Leaked as in made by rim? or hacked by users? I have experienced the OS updating addiction with other toys. I wouldn't expect rim to come out with a whole new phone but one that would maybe fix some of the hardware issues that couldnt be fixed with software updates. Such as i've heard of the screen not being quite up to par so would they release a same model new screen basically or something to that effect. Has anyone on here bothered to shell out for a extended life battery (do they have one yet for the tour?)?

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegazab View Post
    Leaked as in made by rim? or hacked by users? I have experienced the OS updating addiction with other toys. I wouldn't expect rim to come out with a whole new phone but one that would maybe fix some of the hardware issues that couldnt be fixed with software updates. Such as i've heard of the screen not being quite up to par so would they release a same model new screen basically or something to that effect. Has anyone on here bothered to shell out for a extended life battery (do they have one yet for the tour?)?
    I personally think that the problems people post on the various forums are greatly overexaggerated.........I have had my Tour for a little over two weeks and am very impressed with it. One thing people fail to realize is that all phones have issues that people can focus on and allow it them to hold off on thayt device. The only two issues I have had with my Tour is the loose battery door, which I fixed in less than 2 minutes and the screen ripple which I actually just fixed 2 hours ago by tightening four screws......Other than that, this device has been awesome. Everyting is faster, almost 3 times the memory, much better screen, larger battery, a much improved camera, etc. And as far as the Pre is concerned.....I had ther Pre as well for about three weeks and it had MANY issues of its own. I would just recoomend you visit your local Verizon or Sprint store and do a side by side comparison for yourself...
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

PIN/ID
    30c96eb6
    I don't think anything shy of the tour become explosive will change my mind but i just wanna see when or if anything would be good to question. I do figure out of the thousands are sold that a few problems here and there are good to hear about.