Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I promised to review some Bible software a short while ago. This is one I ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer

Youversion: Bible Solution for BlackBerry Smartphones

Advertisement

I promised to review some Bible software a short while ago. This is one I stumbled on while talking to Twitter pal Chris, and I am happy I stumbled.

Youversion is an offering from Lifechurch.tv that is aimed at making the Bible more accessible to all. The best part is that they truly have a heart for leveraging technology to make it happen.

This application is user friendly, allowing users to add devotions and notes to specific verses that can be used by fellow users.

The whole project makes available a robust online Bible in numerous translations. Well, the developers didn't stop there; they created a BlackBerry port, so that your biblical needs are available on the go.

The BlackBerry application has more than 30 different translations in numerous languages. You can search the entire Bible with keywords. Upon starting the program on your Berry, you are welcomed to a clean mobile interface with an option to check other user contributions, or to use the built-in one-year reading plan, or simply just "read."

I found that application responsive. The default font was perfect, and can be made smaller or larger to fit the users tastes.

If I had to gripe (and I am honestly struggling here), it would be about the inability of a user to make notes/contributions on the BlackBerry.

All in all, this is a beautifully-made free application for BlackBerry and (gasp!) iPhone users. A true blessing. Have fun "inviting" friends and family to use this application Facebook-style via email, or join the growing community at youversion.com.

The generalized mobile site is located at m.youversion.com.

Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 11-27-2008 at 06:56 PM.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dzyuba no está en línea Stack level 1
    I know several people who use this on their iPhone. I tried it on my Blackberry and liked everything except the fact that it is for online use only. This means long load times with a slow connection or possibly no content at all in areas with no coverage. I know there is an option for offline Bibles on the iPhone but I did not see it on my Blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by dzyuba View Post
    I know several people who use this on their iPhone. I tried it on my Blackberry and liked everything except the fact that it is for online use only. This means long load times with a slow connection or possibly no content at all in areas with no coverage. I know there is an option for offline Bibles on the iPhone but I did not see it on my Blackberry.

Yeah... I have to agree. Very valid point.

Would be great to have offline capabilities for BB; hopefully they roll it out.

djdeerock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK!
    Tre...thanks a lot for this! Much appreciated info. and well-organized, accurate review.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Great review I was looking for something like this~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    awesome! i needed this!

artiesberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32146C01
    That is GREAT, thank you.

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    hmmmmmm sounds very interesting. Thanks for posting and for the nice review too.
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." ~BLAISE PASCAL

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Will give it a try. Thanks

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    This is great. I had tried other versions but never really liked what I saw. This will keep me reading on a daily basis.

They also push out updates frequently.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Seems pretty nice but I think I will have to stick with Noah, as I too need it in places where coverage is not great or even available(such as in church)
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Bassman: I agree; I keep Olive Tree and Noahm

Others: thanks for the kind comments and reputation points.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sbs8331 no está en línea Stack level 2
    For a great on-line Bible, you might try bible.org. They feature the NET (New English Translation) that has the most extensive set of translation notes ever seen. On your PC you can download the HTML version for free. From smartphones, you can go to http://wap.bible.org. Once you open up a passage, you'll see hyperlinks to the notes. Most are translation notes, e.g. why a particular phrase was rendered as it was. There are also many textual criticism notes (explaining Greek and Hebrew meanings) and some study notes. It's worth checking out. I use it in church as a supplement to my printed Bible (NKJV or NASB).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast