So we got our 1st 3 8703e's in, and we can finally upgrade the last ... Smartphone Reviews forum

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Verizon 8703e - First Impressions

Advertisement

So we got our 1st 3 8703e's in, and we can finally upgrade the last couple of 7750 holdouts and some 7250 users that really wanted this one.

Out of box impression: Ok. It's exactly like the 8700g, only black (they all should be! ) but with the green phone button icon being black. Very low key, which is a plus for me.

Theme is the same as the 7130e comes with, which I don't care for personally.

There doesn't appear to be an OS download for this device yet, so I don't want to play around with loading too much on it yet.

Oh, the keys have a more pronounced bevel on the inside edge.
    I'll see if I can get some side-by-sides of it vs the G or C. The keyboard itself (at least on the one I've opened) seems nice and stiff, with no slop in it.

Unfortunately, the battery is the same C-S2 as the other 8700's rather than the new one the 8100 uses. Our Verizon devices typically burn through the battery a bit faster than the T-Mobile or Cingular Devices. We'll see if that holds true or not with this model in a few days.

The Platform is 2.2.0.149, and app version is 4.1.0.344. The RSA SecurID app and our custom app loaded and seem to run fine, so that's good.

I'll try to post more once I'm able to activate it (they're upgrades so I don't want to kill the user's device until we actually swap them).

What I do notice so far after running BenchmarkMagic 1.4, is that it's about half the speed of my 8700c, so it doesn't look like it uses the Intel CPU. Most of the people that'll use it here probably won't notice the difference since they've never had one.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Verizon 8703e - First Impressions

Hopefully it is a good seller for them.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

w8rz no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B06BDB

I ordered mine off the vzw website Sunday morning. I see that they (vzw,aftermarket suppliers) do not offer the extended life battery door that I liked having in both my 7250 & 7130e. My guess is that for the most part, the dimensions for the 8700 are pretty much all the same. That being said, I wonder if the extended life battery door for the 8700c (the only version in the 8700 series that seems to offer it) will work in my soon to be delivered 8703e? If not, I wonder how long it will take RIM to begin supplying vzw & the after markets folks with this "option"? Any help is greatly appreciated.

From the South end of Lake Erie, de W8RZ

AL904 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by BBWrangler
    What I do notice so far after running BenchmarkMagic 1.4, is that it's about half the speed of my 8700c, so it doesn't look like it uses the Intel CPU. Most of the people that'll use it here probably won't notice the difference since they've never had one.
    Does the 8703e have the same processor as my 7130e? I am considering moving to an 8703e, and I wouldn't want to go to a slower processor.

Do you know why the (newer) 8703e has a slower processor than the (slightly older) 8700c? Does it have something to do with CDMA vs. GSM systems?

Also, is the 8703e keyboard noticably more cramped than the 7250?

TIA
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Using Bold with at&t
    Forum for PTT Users

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

I like the looks of the 8703. I wouldn't mind swapping housings. For some reason I think a Blackberry should be BLACK. I dunno call me crazy.

PIN/ID
    219DFD90

AL904:It would appear to use the same CPU as the 7130e, so it should be about the same speed.

I think the CPU difference is due to the CDMA Verizon uses. I think Qualcomm actually makes those CPUs.

The key spacing isn't much different from the 7250 at all. The difference is the shape of the keys. The 8703's keys are more like a paralellogram, while the 7250's are more egg shapped. It may take you a couple of days to adjust, but I find it just as comfortable typing on either one.

w8rz: It uses an identical housing to the 8700g, so if there's an extended battery cover for that, it would fit, but not the one for the 8700c.
    Here's a fairly blurry pic of the 8703e next to a 7250. I took it with an 8100 Pearl, which arrived a little bit after I posted earlier.
    http://www.trackfire.com/images/8703e7250.jpg

AL904 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks, BBWrangler !

It's starting to look like there's an 8703e in my future.
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Using Bold with at&t
    Forum for PTT Users

PIN/ID
    219DFD90

As promised, here are a couple of shots of the 8703e, taken with an 8100.

First, next to the 8100.

And then next to the 7250.

The image quality isn't great, but that's whatever the 8100's camera is set to by default. If enough people are interested, I can take better shots tomorrow.

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701
    Iam assuming that you are using the 8703e in a bus enviroment, can you recommend a solid spell checker. I am available at ItsaRaid@columbus.rr.com