SplashID part of the SplashWallet suite from SplashData serves as a secure database for all ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer

SplashID: a hands-on review.

Advertisement

SplashID part of the SplashWallet suite from SplashData serves as a secure database for all of your sensitive information, accessible from the palm of your hand.
    SplashID is packaged as two separate but complementary components: the handheld utility, and the desktop application, which resides on the computer or laptop. The integration with BlackBerry Desktop Manager makes it possible to transfer information between both components when the device syncs.

A simple illustration shows why the concept of having a mobile electronic database can be important. I literally have dozens of passwords that I use on a daily basis. Add in banking information, child safety codes, utility accounts, web forums, networking and blogging utilities, email accounts, alarm codes, license numbers, insurance card information, social security numbers... well, you get the point. The fact is that I am not odd, and paper notes don't work. Having an application like this one's PDA is almost imperative.This is why SplashID can be so welcome.

On the device, item entry is easy. Initial start up yields samples of numerous types of data. Setup was a breeze, and the initial sync went without a hitch. I tested the sync process with entries on my computer, and entries on my BlackBerry, and the dual pieces handled my tests well. It is pertinent to note that the handheld portion has 256-bit encryption to secure the data; any ten consecutive attempts to "hack" the password causes the program to lock-up.

With so many ubiquitous things in life that require passwords nowadays, there is the temptation to simplify things by using one password (or slight variations thereof) to secure sensitive information. Sadly, that is a hacker or ID thief's dream. In fact, data security experts encourage people to change their passwords frequently; some banking websites actually auto-prompt for password changes after set time intervals.

SplashID has a unique password generator that allows you to create unique passkeys on the fly. So, as you are creating that new entry for, say, an online discussion forum, you can create a unique password for it on the spot. You can even customize it based on length, inclusion of non-alphanumeric characters, and even pronounceability.

The desktop database can be printed, exported, and backed up to your desktop. Of course, the backed up database can be password-protected.The application lives and breathes security as well. It can be programmed to lock after a set period (in minutes) of inactivity. Any ten unsuccesful attempts to login or hack the master password causes the system to lock too.

Do you like customizations like I do? No problem. You can choose cell colors and even font size. The interface was surprisingly user friendly.

All in all, it was easy to remember why I loved this program on my Palm, and why it should be essential on your handheld. The interoperability of the desktop and handheld units is a great idea; it allows for two methods of data entry. The auto-fill feature helps thwart keylogging.

Having a secure database that can store even birthdays is priceless, and I highly recommend this to anyone who has more than one password to remember. The developers offer a 30-day trial period, and also a 60-day money back guarantee on purchases. They have ports for every major platform (including iPhone/iPod Touch, Nokia/Symbian and Android). Users might also be interested in checking out the entire SplashWallet suite which provides solutions for photos, lists, and financial management (more reviews forthcoming).

On Blackberry, it is rated to work with most 7xxx and 8xxx series handhelds.
    Software was tested on unlocked Blackberry 8320 running OS 4.5 and HP Laptop running Windows Vista.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Will be trying this out! Thank you for the awesome review

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer