Keeping with my "All work and no play" series, I was given an opportunity to ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer

Thumbs up Sid Meier's Civ IV: War of Two Cities.

Advertisement

Keeping with my "All work and no play" series, I was given an opportunity to have a look at Sid Meier's Civilization IV: A War Of Two Cities for BlackBerry from Concrete Software. And, frankly I was surprised.

The game is only loosely based on the PC gaming series; the BB port is a vibrant attempt at bringing strategy and action to BlackBerry smartphone users. While this game is NOT a replica of the PC version, that actually becomes its strength.

Pick your civilization, and expand it. There are four to choose from: Rome, Japan, Russia and the United States. Each "civilization" has its own native advantages. Now, at the simplest level, the key is to defend your kingdom by simultaneously attacking and defeating others. There is no middle ground.

There are four basic weapons at your disposal: fighting men in the incarnation of infantry, ranged units and mobile units, and the fourth is mortar/artillery. There is an associated cost with each of the "living" weapons. At the base level, it costs you far more to create a mobile unit than it does an infantryman, so you have to decide what to make when. The artillery takes some timing to master, but I liked the indispensability of that form of attack.

You have to win a few battles to defeat each civilization (at some point, you face yourself). After each won battle, you get to pick a civilization/army building technology. For example, at some point, you are able to discount the cost of a new foot soldier; another gives your fortresses added fortitude. You could eventually choose to increase food or ore production, just to give a few more examples.

There are three different difficulty levels; the first level is relatively easy; the top level may require dedicated time to complete. There is also an associated "Quick Play" option.

This game breaks the mold because it does force you to think. There are distinct ebbs and flows, and at the higher difficulty levels do require strategy.

While BlackBerry hardware considerations may prohibit it, multiplayer capability would be phenomenal.

In any case, this awesome offering has a place on my BlackBerry (which is a serious honor, if I do say so myself). The guys at Concrete are great.

Pickup this game at Handango. Also, right now, Concrete is offering discounts for signing up for its newsletter. The demo is available at the Concrete site.

Compatible Handhelds: BlackBerry 71xx, 77xx, 81xx Pearl, 82xx Pearl, 83xx Curve, 87xx, 88xx, and 9000 Bold handhelds.

This software was tested (and review written) on Blackberry 8320.

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    I love this game! Simple and addictive, right up my alley!

Phx, it is a phenomenal game... I never thought I'd like it so much....

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Considering I like these kinds of PC games, I thought i'd have a good time with this. All I can say...I'm glad I took the trial route.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by green_light View Post
    Considering I like these kinds of PC games, I thought i'd have a good time with this. All I can say...I'm glad I took the trial route.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah... that's why I tried to be clear that it is DIFFERENT from the PC game. The trial does ensure clarity.

Another plus is that they do indeed provide trials... too many developers don't.

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    I did the trial too and was pleasantly surprised. I ended up buying it.