Since i got the 8800 in store now, i decided to give it a try. ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Rogers 8800 review

Advertisement

Since i got the 8800 in store now, i decided to give it a try.

For the look, it's a Pearl design. Sleek look but nothing special either. The keys looks cheap tho.

For the feel, feels like standard RIM quality. Made in Canada phone. The keys feels cheap and are hard to use. I have small fingers and i still have trouble.

For the features, well it lacks a camera and that's a shame. I tried the GPS with bbmaps and it would not work.

My personal opinion: it is crap! 500$ with a 3 year plan is way too expensive! GPS is a gimmick i think. The keys feels way too cheap and are too close to each others. Lots of money for nothing really new or better over the pearl.

Bottom line: GPS gimmick and cheap qwerty keyboard for double the price of the Pearl.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Rogers 8800 review

Wow thanks for the review. I really don't use the camera or GPS but I need the QWERTY keyboard now. A lot of carriers disable some features so that may be the case with your carrier (Verizon disables the GPS). Or it could be that you need TeleNav or some other GPS software to use with it. I don't know what's available in Canada.

It was a mini review hehe but glad you liked it! It might be possible that the GPS is disabled because Rogers sells a 10$/month GPS plan with it. It's really not worth the money if you don't/want need the GPS ...the qwerty keyboard really sucks! The 8700's is much better. Wait for the 8300!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks for the review Dan and stick to SureType I can't use anything else since I tried it
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

The keys are too close together, but after a week of constant typing I'm getting there. I'm lucky 'cause I have small fingers, but still when typing fast I hit the keys with my nails instead. The GPS is great with the proper software; I have Google Maps, bbmaps & the mapquest navigator installed. My wife and I spent an entire day driving to Toronto and moving about in the city today. We purposely did not turn the direction when told by a matured lady voice to do so. Consequently, the software re-calculate and issued new directions to get us back on track towards our destination. I was expecting the triangulation(s) with 12 satellites to take a long time, but not so with the 8800. Overall, I am very impressed with the 8800; I am planning to use the GPS 'cause it does what it says it'll do and fast, and in spite of the closer than desired typing keys I don't mind them after a week of constant typing. With 2Gigs micro SD I have songs & movies something I was already doing with my iPod, but now I have the bb8800 to serve me whenever I forget and leave my iPod behind.
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

I know what you mean about the close spaced keys on the 8800. I had the same problem with my Pearl when I first got it (took me a WEEK to get past the cramps I endured). I almost returned it. And as for slippery keys while typing, I have that problem on my SideKick 3 more than my Pearl but I still use both devices.

I really don't need GPS because I don't drive much (or have others drive for me right now since modifications to my minivan are taking longer than expected).

I MIGHT get an SD card with the 8800 since I didn't with my Pearl. I will probably use all 3 devices (Pearl, 8800 and SideKick 3) for mp3 players since I have a hard time keeping up with my 5GB Rio Carbon LOL (which I could have used about a week ago)
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-08-2007 at 03:32 AM.

net80 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I know what you mean about the close spaced keys on the 8800. I had the same problem with my Pearl when I first got it (took me a WEEK to get past the cramps I endured). I almost returned it. And as for slippery keys while typing, I have that problem on my SideKick 3 more than my Pearl but I still use both devices.

I really don't need GPS because I don't drive much (or have others drive for me right now since modifications to my minivan are taking longer than expected).

I MIGHT get an SD card with the 8800 since I didn't with my Pearl. I will probably use all 3 devices (Pearl, 8800 and SideKick 3) for mp3 players since I have a hard time keeping up with my 5GB Rio Carbon LOL (which I could have used about a week ago)
    Hi where did u download all your gps software. I like to give it a try. What is the cost.
    Thanks

I didn't download any GPS software.

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/O...kberry_GPS.htm

Go there and I promise you wouldn't be disappointed! This guy is a true guru about blackberry and GPS. Best of luck!
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

mrwilson no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer
    Since i got the 8800 in store now, i decided to give it a try.

For the look, it's a Pearl design. Sleek look but nothing special either. The keys looks cheap tho.

For the feel, feels like standard RIM quality. Made in Canada phone. The keys feels cheap and are hard to use. I have small fingers and i still have trouble.

For the features, well it lacks a camera and that's a shame. I tried the GPS with bbmaps and it would not work.

My personal opinion: it is crap! 500$ with a 3 year plan is way too expensive! GPS is a gimmick i think. The keys feels way too cheap and are too close to each others. Lots of money for nothing really new or better over the pearl.

Bottom line: GPS gimmick and cheap qwerty keyboard for double the price of the Pearl.
    $500 try 99.99 if you are with Rogers in Edmonton, wish i was. Took a picture of the deal and was hoping that Rogers would treat me the same as the Edmontonian's. no luck, you may want to try. If the picture doesn't attach then I can PIN it to you 204870D1

bpomeroy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24450BFA

check the small print on the $99 rogers deal for Edmonton!!

Promotions vary from a province to another. And yes, read the fine prints!