Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

COST: Free REVIEW: This to me is a very useful app for your BlackBerry. There ... Smartphone Reviews forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Thumbs up Review: WeatherBug Direct

Advertisement

COST: Free
    REVIEW:
    This to me is a very useful app for your BlackBerry. There are many apps out that have very nice features but very limited cities and are Carriers specific. WeatherBug Direct is not.

If you are like me and live in a small town this is probably one of your best options. When you enter your zip it will give you a list of all locations in your area and you can chose the closest to where you are. Mine is 5 blocks away at the High School.

If you have used it on your PC and liked it you will not be disappointed with it on your BB. You may have to tweak the settings to what you like but once you do that I am sure you will be happy with your choice. Here is what it offers.

Live, local weather conditions
    Local forecasts
    Live temperature on your home screen
    Severe weather alerts

You can set how often it updates. You can also set it to give visual alerts where the icon flashes when there are weather alerts or you can set audio alerts so it plays whatever you want when an alert comes across.

You can also use the portal to add things like. Forecast, Pollen, UV and AQI. I don't use any of these but have tried them and they all seem to be useful if it is something you care to keep up with. If you haven't found a weather app that works for you and can't seem to get weathereye or BBweather to work for you I would suggest trying this.

PROS: Amount of different locations available and the fact it is not carrier specific.

CONS: If I have to come up with one it would be that severe weather can only be set as low as 5 minutes for updates. In 5 minutes a tornado could have already blown me away.

VERDICT: This is a very helpful app for anyone who wants free weather info or for those of us who can't get other apps to work because of location.

OVERALL RATING: 4.5 out of 5 , because of the severe alerts

URL:
    You can get it OTA here weatherbug direct .
    Or you can go here to learn more about it.

Also from reading today's post it looks promising for Storm users as well. Check it out in this thread.

I will edit in a few screen shots once i read and learn how.
    Last edited by moderncowboy; 12-02-2008 at 03:31 AM.

artiesberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32146C01
    I've tried several and this has to be my favorite. I've had it for a couple of months and it's a keeper. I totally agree with you.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Great post. I also agree. I have tried many other apps that have a hard time covering the specific city you're looking for, usually giving you the closest next best thing. I have even tried to find a better one just to look but WeatherBug is awesome hands down.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    A very good review of an excellent program

Seems the install on this is a little complicated. Delete, then add, go here, go there to set it up.
    For a much easier install of a comparable program, check out the following link:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ht=weather+eye

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Seems the install on this is a little complicated. Delete, then add, go here, go there to set it up.
    For a much easier install of a comparable program, check out the following link:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ht=weather+eye
    I am not sure where you are having an issue installing because it is very simple. The only thing stated when you try to install is if you have a previous version uninstall it first. The reason for my review was because apps such as weathereye are carrier specific and will not work for users like me.

Right on cowboy. I'd rather have Bug for the alert feature. Will print out their intructions for set up through portal and then do ota!
    Thanks again for awesome review

jasonring no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    be kind
    Thanks Cowboy.... That's awsome. I travel a lot. Very useful.

dboggny no está en línea Stack level 1
    I found weather bug to be buggy in several ways after many months of use. I feel that upgrading to OS 4.5 may have been the cause. Mainly, updating of the app (alerts updating in a timely manner and the add on programs as well). For severe weather alerts I found a better solution for me. accuweather.com (from a desktop computer) has free email severe weather alerts. Basically the NWS alert if near immediately emailed. And since I am completely anal about this, the longest its taken is 3 min from issuing the alert to it getting in my inbox. You cannot pick and choose what alerts you'd like as you can on WB, which can be nice.
    Thanks
    DB~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Specs no está en línea Stack level 5
    As far as I can tell U.S. only. No use to us in the UK unfortunately.

zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    I loved this app on my curve, unfortunately it just looks ugly on the flip... It seems to function fine, but its about impossible to read the temp etc on the icon... But I think this is a flipberry/4.6 OS issue... Amazing app nonetheless, but weathereye is sufficient for me now, and also is very fast and responsive on the flip! Good review btw!

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    Quote Originally Posted by dboggny View Post
    I found weather bug to be buggy in several ways after many months of use. I feel that upgrading to OS 4.5 may have been the cause. Mainly, updating of the app (alerts updating in a timely manner and the add on programs as well). For severe weather alerts I found a better solution for me. accuweather.com (from a desktop computer) has free email severe weather alerts. Basically the NWS alert if near immediately emailed. And since I am completely anal about this, the longest its taken is 3 min from issuing the alert to it getting in my inbox. You cannot pick and choose what alerts you'd like as you can on WB, which can be nice.
    Thanks
    DB~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Over quite a few months period the developer for this program worked really hard with fixes and program enhancements. If you haven't tried it recently I suggest you try it again. Eddie has all the bugs fixed, at least for my device. Just remember, any upgrades, WBDirect or BB device upgrades requires a fresh install for it to work properly, that's the only bug I am aware of. I'm always tinkering, upgrading my device, but my son has been running this app on his 8330 since Sept with not one issue with it. He uses the "Follow Me" location feature in the program and it works great.

Of course as with everything, it's all a matter of personal taste when it comes to what works best for you.
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

gmclella no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is it just me or is this a free trial with the need to buy the app?

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    Quote Originally Posted by gmclella View Post
    Is it just me or is this a free trial with the need to buy the app?
    There is a WeatherBug Application for BB that is a subscription service, that is not the app discussed in this thread. The free application is called "WeatherBug Direct". It can be found here. http://weather.weatherbug.com/labs/w...lackberry.html
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review cowboy. I usually just check weather in viigo but may try this again. Of course the last time I tried it mine never alerted to anything, weeks and months at a time just saying hot and sunny . But it is almost winter, it should rain a couple times in the next few months
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast