Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by mbranscum Wow...I just want to know where you work. I would love ... Smartphone Reviews forum

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    Wow...I just want to know where you work. I would love to have a job where I could play with my phone and watch videos!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by rmerck View Post
    Lol
    Whoops double post I'm a restaurant manager so I can allocate plenty of downtime

armenvzw no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I wonder if the bold will ever get to verizon?

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3

Question

Interesting comment on the GPS. I ordered mine (Dec 15th shipping) after talking to someone in a VZW Corporate store who told me GPS will work without issue on Google Maps and any other 3rd party application. If this doesn't turn out to be the case I'm going to be pretty angry since I'll be porting my number over from AT&T when the phone arrives.

Can anyone else confirm the GPS doesn't work with Google Maps?
    Device: 8100c / Apps: 4.5.0.69 / Platform: 2.7.0.72

Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
    Interesting comment on the GPS. I ordered mine (Dec 15th shipping) after talking to someone in a VZW Corporate store who told me GPS will work without issue on Google Maps and any other 3rd party application. If this doesn't turn out to be the case I'm going to be pretty angry since I'll be porting my number over from AT&T when the phone arrives.

Well, he wouldn't have been wrong per se... it does work without issue., it gives real-time location, accurate directions etc... it just isn't as accurate as the VZ Navigator or BB Maps output since it uses triangulation.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post

Well, he wouldn't have been wrong per se... it does work without issue., it gives real-time location, accurate directions etc... it just isn't as accurate as the VZ Navigator or BB Maps output since it uses triangulation.
    Triangulation has nothing to do with GPS.... If the guy at the VZW corporate store said it would work without issue, and it doesn't.... then he was lying or flat out wrong.....
    "Who Dares Wins"

Quote Originally Posted by eazid View Post
    Triangulation has nothing to do with GPS.... If the guy at the VZW corporate store said it would work without issue, and it doesn't.... then he was lying or flat out wrong.....
    If the guy at the VZW corporate store said that it would work without issue he still wouldn't have been wrong.

Since Google Maps has the functionality to use triangulation, then the program is still functioning in the parameters it has been designed for, even more so to be able to adapt to restrictions placed on devices that would be used by the software. So Google Maps is EXCEEDING what it should be expected to do, it's skirting VZWs lock on hardware.

If he said the GPS functionality would function flawlessly with Google Maps, then yes, he would be wrong. But without issue, he is still correct. The device will still give a relative location and be able to give you directions and the ability to search local business etc.

ETA: Granted my wording in the previous post you quoted would be correct with your above statement, but we/I frequently equate GPS with the act of being able to acquire a position digitially, even though it isn't in line with the true meaning of using the GPS Network, pardon my grammatical faux pas :-)
    Last edited by rmerck; 11-24-2008 at 02:52 AM.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    If the guy at the VZW corporate store said that it would work without issue he still wouldn't have been wrong.

Since Google Maps has the functionality to use triangulation, then the program is still functioning in the parameters it has been designed for, even more so to be able to adapt to restrictions placed on devices that would be used by the software. So Google Maps is EXCEEDING what it should be expecting to do, it's skirting VZWs lock on hardware.

If he said the GPS functionality would function flawlessly with Google Maps, then yes, he would be wrong. But without issue, he is still correct. The device will still give a relative location and be able to give you directions and the ability to search local business etc.
    I agree that using triangulation to find a location is cool. I am saying that what was stated would be incorrect. But maybe I'm just reading what's there. Maybe I'm being too technical.... ?

But If I want to see exactly where I am within 5 meters.... I'll use GPS and hope that that accuracy is allowed at that time (GPS accuracy can be changed if need be. It's a military thing but we're not talking about that). I'm not trying to start an arguement.... so that's pretty much all I have to say on it. Unless I'm asked a question or something... then I'd be glad to talk.
    "Who Dares Wins"

cog402 no está en línea Stack level 1
    You better check your price plans before its too late.I was on a 34.95 plan and 15 to tether before my purchase. I found out that now it will be 44.95 plus 30.00 to tether with a storm. After switching back to my curve the plan went back to old price so anyone that buys a new storm you pay for the hype for a slow processing bad touch screen piece of .....that is not going to beat an Iphone in the touch screen market. Sorry guys but this isn't the greatest phone to hit blackberry in anyway and mine will be "BACK" in stores in the morning!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eazid View Post
    I agree that using triangulation to find a location is cool. I am saying that what was stated would be incorrect. But maybe I'm just reading what's there. Maybe I'm being too technical.... ?

But If I want to see exactly where I am within 5 meters.... I'll use GPS and hope that that accuracy is allowed at that time (GPS accuracy can be changed if need be. It's a military thing but we're not talking about that). I'm not trying to start an arguement.... so that's pretty much all I have to say on it. Unless I'm asked a question or something... then I'd be glad to talk.
    No worries or arguments here sir!

pilotjet no está en línea Stack level 1
    still waiting for STORM from Europe ... can't wait to touch the STORM... LOL

Threekings no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the review rmerck. Good info to know. Maybe they will have the OS update done for Telus to release to us Canucks in Canada in December!

MonkeyBizIU no está en línea Themes Pro
    The only way anyone else gets the Storm is if Verizon fails to make it's sales figures. Based on the reception that the phone has gotten thus far, I doubt that will happen.

Moreover, even if you get one from somewhere that uses GSM, it's a different flavor of GSM than they use here.

So, if you want a Storm in the US, you have to get Verizon.

amcat no está en línea Stack level 3
    I get a funny feeling there is going to be alot of unhappy people with new Storms, trying to get them to work properly with other carriers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use your mind... Creativity is free!!

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by amcat View Post
    I get a funny feeling there is going to be alot of unhappy people with new Storms, trying to get them to work properly with other carriers.
    I've already encountered a guy at work telling me how he's going to get on and plug in him ATT sim card ::grabs popcorn::

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast