Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

It's been almost 24 hours since I got this new gadget, here is my review! ... Smartphone Reviews forum

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro

Review: Verizon Wireless 9530 Storm

Advertisement

It's been almost 24 hours since I got this new gadget, here is my review!

Verdict:
    It's a solid and electrifying phone, albeit room for improvement.
    Pros: First, the obvious touch screen. The touch screen takes some getting used to, no matter what side of the phone world you are crossing over from. The touch screen just doesn't function by tapping the screen, you actually have to press the screen (which itself is a giant floating button inside the chassis). However, just lightly tapping or placing your finger on the screen will select options or scroll, yet won't execute any kind of command until you have physically pressed the screen.

With the implementation of the new screen, you also have the option of what kind of technologies you like to use for typing. Holding the phone in a horizontal fashion will yield a qwerty keyboard which gives way to speed in typing. Holding it in a vertical fashion will give way to the SureType platform. Both modes have their use. If you have two hands to devote to texting or typing at the moment, chances are you will subliminally choose to use the qwerty keyboard.

The phone is also a quad-band phone, having the capabilities to use the phone overseas, and comes equipped with a sim card installed as well.

The new 3.2mp camera produces excellent pictures, featuring focusing, zoom, auto flash and white balancing options and is extremely easy to use.

Sound quality is excellent as well. The earpiece while not using the hands-free speaker is comfortably easy to hear even through noisy environments (which volume adjustments of course) and the sound quality is crisp and clear even at high volumes. The speakerphone seems like a force to be reckoned with also. While driving, the speakerphone can be used during highway driving with no extra effort to be made to clearly engage in the conversation. All calls that have been made using speakerphone and the handset have yielded outstanding reports from the person on the other end of the line; many times getting a surprised reaction of "I'm on speakerphone, wow... I couldn't tell!".

The battery life is seemingly great as well. I got my Storm yesterday at 11:30am, let it fully charge and went to town on the battery. The rest of my day (even when I went to work) was spent watching multiple videos on YouTube, surfing the internet, texting and talking on it. Almost non-stop from when I left the house to when I got home from work. When I arrived home after work around 12:30 in the morning, the Status menu showed I had 50% battery life remaining (I always keep the screen display brightness to 10, which is still very bright and legible to read, even in broad sunlight).

Browsing the internet is easier than ever, and the Storm takes full advantage of Verizon's 3G capabilities to bring lightning fast browsing. Streaming video through the internet is easy and seemless, unaffected by the operating system lag.

E-Mails now are more feature rich, taking advantage of HTML coding capabilities by RIMS latest BIS upgrade.

Now, the GPS... every Verizon Wireless customer's complaint with the BlackBerry platform. I tried VZ Navigator for the purpose of this review. It is as we all know, pretty intuitive software as far as Mobile GPS navigation goes. It now integrates local traffic to help you decide the best course of action, lets you find the cheapest fuel in the area etc. No one has debated VZ Navigators abilities or function. HOWEVER, we have always felt the need to have restrictions removed on our GPS devices, since the GPS system is available for free from the government. The Storm is not unlocked for GPS use per se though. BB Maps acquires, uses and implements realtime GPS now! Satellite acquisition is fast and speedy, and as I've driven around the city, travel speed and direction were accurate; many times reported speeds being within 1-2mph of my digital speedometer in the car. Google Maps however, does not function with the GPS, it still triangulates.

The new media player is easy to use, aesthetically pleasing and an overall great improvement over previous BlackBerry media players. The phone comes with a sample trailer for BabylonAD and a sample song to listen to. Watching videos on the phone is a pleasure, sound quality is excellent on both, even at loud volumes. The phone also ships with an 8GB microSD card, so no more having to go hunt for one and pay for extra goodies on an already expensive peice of technology.

The operating system is gorgeous. Verizon users have longed for that streamlined Bold look for a while without having to download new themes that aren't fully designed or lack theme effects.

Reception on the phone is excellent throughout, I have yet to see my signal strength go below 3 bars or shift out of the EVDO network.

Cons: The Storm is not without it's faults however. The first notable and most important con of the phone (easily attributed to RIM/Verizon rushing to get this product out on the market) is that the operating system, while gorgeous, lags heavily. The lag is visible in almost all functions of using the phone. Anticipate this flaw to be quickly fixed by the update to be released in December.

There are no themes available for this phone. For now, we are stuck with the Verizon Theme that is shipped with the phone until Plazmic releases new software.

The phone is not compatible with PocketMac (which affects myself directly, I found I had to implement use of VMware Fusion with a Windows XP install to synchronize and transfer contacts).

As noted earlier, the GPS is not unlocked. BB Maps works and functions as it is intended to, however third party software such as Google Maps will not (Google Maps uses signal triangulation to give you a location within 1800 meters of your current location.

There is a new power adapter, a smaller micro usb slot. Rendering all of your current BlackBerry cables useless. Plan to buy new phone chargers. The phone does ship with the connecting usb cable for your computer.

URL: http://www.verizonwireless.com
    Price: $249.99-$50.00 Mail-In Rebate with new contract, out of contract price $499.99
    Overall rating: 4/5 Stars
    As with any new product there are kinks. Fortunately for us, all of the kinks that I have encountered are software related, and while I don't anticipate the GPS to be unlocked by Verizon anytime soon, the complete functionality of BlackBerry Messenger is an added plus and I expect that the lag in the operating system will be fixed by a future software update (which can be done sans Desktop Manager through the Wireless Update feature that is in the advanced options).
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

marcrott no está en línea Stack level 2
    I ordered mine on the pinstack special yesterday. Waiting for it to come in the mail is playing with my emotions lol

58vette no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3049D993
    well i have mine now for the same amount of time and would agree with your review and to add the list of cons its the lack of programs that work with it. I know its new give developers time but i want weather and VIIGO on asap Mostly the VIIGO

oh well in due time

overall its great and about time VZW got some BB love first

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    merck-very helpful and informative review for those of us awaiting the storm. since you said that it has a sim card, Im assuming that soon there will be unlock codes available (even though VZW is not doing so at this time) so they can be used on the GSM network, specifically AT&T? and also will it connect to AT&T's 3G? thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    merck-very helpful and informative review for those of us awaiting the storm. since you said that it has a sim card, Im assuming that soon there will be unlock codes available (even though VZW is not doing so at this time) so they can be used on the GSM network, specifically AT&T? and also will it connect to AT&T's 3G? thanks again
    I would venture to say that being a "World Phone" with HSDPA/GSM capabilities that it isn't adaptable to GSM service in the United States since I beleive European and Asian GSM networks function on different frequency bands than the United States carriers.

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Good looks on the review.
    T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 & I'm not coming back! :D

--HeavyC.

aaronnieves no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305F72EB
    Good review. Thanks merk

Mike99PA no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20FBE9A8
    Great review! Anybody knows if ATT&T will pick up this phone?

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Very good review. I had a chance to mess with one for almost an hour last night and I drew many of the same conclusions. I'm pretty excited for my chance to grab one which is exactly one month from today.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Nice review...

I went to three local Verizon stores this morning with my son, we were waiting for a movie to start, so I thought I would go play with the Storm. I changed the home page on 7 devices to Pinstack.com. Haha

The Storm is nice but definitely laaaaggggsssss!

Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    Nice review...

I went to three local Verizon stores this morning with my son, we were waiting for a movie to start, so I thought I would go play with the Storm. I changed the home page on 7 devices to Pinstack.com. Haha

The Storm is nice but definitely laaaaggggsssss!

Hah, I will say that initially after starting the phone up or doing a battery pull, the device lags like hell, but after being on for a few hours, using apps etc, the lag is significantly reduced.

But the lag is definitely not a deal breaker, and it will be fixed in a software update I'm sure.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    My phone is being delivered AT WORK on Monday so I don't know how much work I will get done on that day.

I switched from TMO to Verizon because of the LG Dare (I so wanted a touchscreen phone). Weeks after that, my husband emails me a article that rumored of a touchscreen Blackberry and I knew then and there what I was going to end up doing...

Because of Verizon's dumb policies on uping the charges for an upgrade within a two-year contract, I had to sign up as a new customer and my husband will have to drop the second line. I wanted this phone so badly and now, I just have to wait two more days. I am really looking forward to this baby!

cito1584 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24193AEE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike99PA View Post
    Great review! Anybody knows if ATT&T will pick up this phone?
    from what i heard, at&t well be next to release it, but not sure of a date, with t-mo being last. t-mobile needs to step their game up, where's the 3G? its gonna be a totally different experience on edge.

blkbryluva no está en línea Stack level 1
    Just ordered mine and was told that I would have to wait 2 weeks.....

HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    The voyager was never released on any other providers and it was a Verizon exclusive phone wasn't it? Why does everyone say this phone will be released? Isn't it also a Verizon exclusive device? I would then assume the Bold is coming to Verizon then? I haven't read anything that says it is.
    Last edited by HolidayDre; 11-22-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast