There are already a few very nice Twitter clients for Android including the very popular ... Smartphone Reviews forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: TweetCaster For Android

There are already a few very nice Twitter clients for Android including the very popular Twidroid which I have never really cared for, Seesmic, and Swift which had been my top two but they did lack some functions. But now Handmark has released it's Twitter app TweetCaster and it has, in my opinion, taken one of the top spots right off the bat. I really did not have high hopes for it. I'm sure many of my Twitter followers remember my very vocal rants @handmark regarding TweetCaster for BlackBerry which when it was first released was just awful for me. But I must say that I am quite pleasantly surprised at the beautiful job Handmark did with their Android version of TweetCaster.

UI: The UI is really quite nice. There are options to use a light or dark theme, you can change font size, there are different colors for tweets you post, @replies, and DMs so they are easy to spot as you scroll through the timeline. Numbered badges appear on the icons for Tweets, @replies, and DMs to let you know how many you have. Tap a tweet and you get the options to go to links, @ reply, favorite, retweet(the new way only, ugh!), or view a mentioned user's profile. Long press a tweet and you can view the tweeter's profile, send a DM, Block or Report for Spam. When posting a new tweet and you want to mention a particular user, just type @ and the first couple letters and names of your followers will appear in a bar below your tweet that fit with what you're typing so if you're not quite sure of the spelling....at least by having the first letter you can find them. Then just tap their name and it gets inserted into your post. I also love that you can simply tap the icon that looks like an eye and view and scroll through your timeline so you can view a tweet you may be responding too. Everything feels very intuitive to me.

Options/Features: There is support for multiple accounts, something Seesmic and Swift both lack, you can also View trending topics, search, and even see nearby tweets using either a manually entered zip code or your phone's GPS. There is also support for Twitter lists, URL shortening with bit.ly and is.gd, Image service through twitpic and yfrog, and ability to edit your twitter profle details including your profile image. You can view your Follower, Following, and Favorties lists as well as follow ,unfollow, block and report users. You also can view other users lists but I found that to not be really reliable. I viewed one user who has 7 lists but in the TweetCaster app it only showed they had two lists. Another user had 4 lists but TweetCaster said they had none. This is obviously a bug they need to fix. It has a good amount of notification and refresh options but I would like to be able to select the notification sound.

What's missing?
    There are several features which they need to add in order to take the top spot for me.
    1. Video support ie Twitvid, yfrog, youtube....something...anything!

2. Option to RT the old way. Right now you can only RT the new way so you can't comment, and if they have a locked account you can't RT at all. There is also no option to copy a tweet so you can't even manually do an old style RT.

3. Option to display user names in timeline instead of full names. After using Twitter on the desktop for so long, I don't recognize some people by their real names and rely on the user names.

4. I would also like to see reply to all and conversation view options.

5. Support for twitlonger also would be useful but not a top priority for me.

So overall this is a great twitter app, it's speedy, pretty to look at, loads of options and functions, and has easily become the one I use most. However I can only give it 4 stars until they add at least the first 3 of my feature requests and fix the lists bug. Once this is done I will happily delete my other twitter apps. Are their other features you would like to see added? Mention them here, email them, tweet at them. They are listening and they want this to be the best app possible!

One final thing to mention is their support. Yesterday they were having API issues, I emailed their support and sent a screen shot of the error message. I got a response within a few minutes and then a follow up email once things were up and running again. Top notch support from the Handmark TweetCaster team!

You can get the free version with ads from the Market or buy the Pro edition ad free for $4.99 from the Market as well or hit this link
    Last edited by azstar; 01-29-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Great review, good job Handmark

Read (c-u) on Twitter

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Blog Entries
    Thx for the review. Now it's PinStacker tested.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Handmark said they are working on being able to reply with comment. I would also like to have the ability to share a tweet (or link in a tweet) via a different app like email, SMS, etc. There are not a lot of negatives with this app and plenty of positives. For example, I like when something is retweeted, you can see the picture in picture like icon.

I haven't decided to use it as my one and only twitter app, but it's a really good start.

I saw the tweet from handmark right after I posted my review, very glad to see they will get right on that. The "share" option is a good one to add to the request list. Seesmic has this option and I have used it on occasion.
    Twitter? My Apps List

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Thought of a couple more, but they are very minor: choosing the tweetlist length and selecting a ringtone for notification.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the Review, it is a great app and for some reason when I had Sesmic I just new I should have been receiving more tweet updates, even when in the actual program/refresh it still only gave me a few tweets, with TweetCaster at least I get all my Tweets.

Hmm, I don't think I had issues like that with Seesmic, but maybe I just didn't realize what I was missing haha. I do love that TweetCaster remembers where you were and doesn't automatically jump to the newest tweet...but it does have the option in the menu.

Plus the UI goes well with all the blue accents in the Smoked Glass ROM I'm running right now....seesmic doesn't match it at all
    Twitter? My Apps List

jblackfish no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Good review Sam, and good to know their support is in place. That support will make a big difference in their success rate IMO.

You know I'm not a "Droidite" (or should it be "Droiderizer"?) yet but I'm following the progress of you guys and what's out there for them. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Blog Entries
    Now they just need to match the bb application to the one for Android platform and I'll give them 5 stars...