Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have been thinking about this application since CTIA Las Vegas. Taking into consideration the ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Thumbs up REVIEW: Trapster -- Don't get caught speeding!

Advertisement

I have been thinking about this application since CTIA Las Vegas. Taking into consideration the amount of driving I do as a *soccermom* with two kids in soccer, one of which is on a traveling team, I am surprised that I only have one speeding ticket in the past 10 years So I downloaded the application last night and decided to test it out on a road here in the East Bay known for its fatality accidents. On any given day, you can find at least two cops doing traffic duty on each end of the treacherous road known as Vasco Road.

The coolest part, I think, is it is GPS based. So, as I was driving over to have lunch with my husband, I decided to give it run. Now, everything is real time, so it is impossible for me to get real time screen shots.

Below, is the screen you will see when there are no alerts around.

The "No Alerts Found" actually scrolls across the bottom of the screen until an alert pops up. On my drive, I didn't get any police activity, but did get alerts on possible 'speed trap hiding places' -- which will then pop up on the top of this screen and you can even click the alert to see who posted it and how much 'credibility' that person has. In addition, you can also vote on the alert to give it more credibility. On a couple of occasions, more than one alert popped up for 'hiding places' showing that more than one person sees that as a potential speed trap. Very cool Below is a picture from the Trapster website, more or less showing all the alerts I received today, but on a map. If the alert is yellow, its has two votes, green is one. If it has more than two votes (i think, can't confirm) then the color is red.

You can alert/report to the Trapster community of potential hiding places of police/speed traps, areas where red light cameras and speeding cameras are located, and actual police running radars all with your mobile phone and your GPS.

Here is an additional picture of the south bay and the number of redlight cams reported. This is from the website, not the blackberry.

Trapster is a free application (not web-based, there is a client to dl to your bb) that runs on your blackberry and uses your internal GPS. It is a social community, only as strong as its user base so the more reported, the better it becomes. I can only reiterate that you please use caution when reporting speed traps, etc. because we certainly don't want you causing an accident trying to report to the Trapster community

visit here to learn more and register for free

and for the flamers, here is an excerpt from their 'about' page:
    Isn't this fundamentally wrong or illegal or something?

As far as the ethics of it all: Speed limits are listed as fixed, but enforced as guidelines. Here in Southern California where we are located, traffic never moves at or under the speed limit. Inconsistent, selective, and subjective enforcement practices create ambiguity. This means good-intentioned drivers often end up not only with a ticket, but confused and angry about why they were chosen. Unfortunately speed traps are sometimes created and enforced as intentionally deceptive revenue generators, but this is the exception rather than the rule. We think most police just want you to slow down. You can either have them pull you over to tell you that personally, or allow your phone the chance to save them the trouble.
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 05-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.

blacknight0180 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2445561A
    ur a soccer mom cherri?? lol thanks for the info!!!
    -=BlacKnight=-

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    nice thats for the info whats the ota link for this let me know please cherri
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight0180 View Post
    ur a soccer mom cherri?? lol thanks for the info!!!
    lol...did i just spoil all my 'coolness' ?

yes, i am a soccer mom!! my son plays on two different teams and i spend A LOT of time driving him all over Nor Cal .. one of the sole reasons why i bought the 8310 .. for GPS

Quote Originally Posted by LatinLegacy View Post
    nice thats for the info whats the ota link for this let me know please cherri
    there isn't an 'ota' for the download. you have to visit the link above, register, and they will send a confirmation. then you log back in using the confirmation email and the ota will the become available

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    so how long does a "cop alert" stay active? im sure there isnt a way to really track where the cops are so alot of people would really have to be on the ball

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    i see ok thanks whats there site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

bigmatt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Looks like a great app. Now sprint needs to release the curve so i can have internal GPS so i can use this program.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    so how long does a "cop alert" stay active? im sure there isnt a way to really track where the cops are so alot of people would really have to be on the ball
    good question...since i didn't get a 'cop alert' (the one day i want to test and no cops to be found ) i'm not sure and i can't find any clue on their site.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Very nice cant wait to test it out myself

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I was thinking about this a few weeks ago.. but since I'm pretty much in the same 30 mile radius at almost all times, I've learned to memorize which locations these sneaky cops hide at. This would be great for a road trip.

bigmatt no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this program seams to be more suited for speed traps and all those stupid camera takeing things. For daily stuff a radar detector is still the best bang for your buck.

blacknight0180 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2445561A
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    lol...did i just spoil all my 'coolness' ?
    nah.... all stackers are COOL!!!!!! we never lose the cool factor...
    -=BlacKnight=-

corkyvera no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2428E0FB
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    On any given day, you can find at least two cops doing traffic duty on each end of the treacherous road known as Vasco Road.

Vasco = gateway to Brentwood lol

Even wit the cops on that road you still see people flying by going at least 80 more than half the time

nova609 no está en línea Stack level 3
    quick question....i have the curve 8300..no gps, will this app still work on my phone?

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    I been using that app for 2months now,what did they release another version?
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast