Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I wont give it any stars today because Im not that impressed... I didnt realize ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Review: Sprint 8130

Advertisement

I wont give it any stars today because Im not that impressed...

I didnt realize how many features I would lose by switching to this phone. Dont get me wrong, there are many other features that are wonderful, but I really am not sure if this is the phone for me.

I am great with suretype or full qwerty, however I find it difficult to type with this BB. Its not because of the keyboard, its because many times while typing I am not getting the words that I want, and they are not slang. I really prefer full qwerty but will keep using this until I cant deal anymore.

One nice thing is the camera, a nice 2mp with video capture. I dont like how much trouble I have to go to when starting the spotlight, there has to be a shortcut. I also dont like how while in the largest picture size it takes a good 7 seconds from taking the picture to getting ready for the next shot, I recommend speed capture to RIM.

TV and Music work awesome, Internet browsing is so much better and faster. I like how the little mouse appears whenever you want it to, no matter in desktop mode or column mode. No tabbed browsing however.

I lost alot of homescreen key shortcuts. With my 8830 I used to associate every letter with someone I knew for a speed dial, obviously I knew I was going to lose that, but i really miss it. I dont like how you cant disable "dial from homescreen", deal with that as well I suppose.

On many of the themes you have to definitely recognize what your icons are because it will take almost a second before the word appears for that icon, this is while in Zen mode. On the 8830 the word would appear immediately, as with any other BB Ive ever owned.

I like the calendar how you can color organize events. However you can only use as many colors as you have email addresses on your BB. I happen to have 7 email accounts, there are only 6 colors to use, so one I have to duplicate, but thats no big deal. If an event is already started it seems you cant change the color, you have to choose the color when you first create the event. Although the entire calendar experience is alot better, colors etc...

You can now add custom ringtones to contacts without actually going into their name, just by highlighting them in your address book and opening the menu. Woohoo, juse something I noticed.

The ball wont light up with any color app, thats a shame, I was quite looking forward to that.

There are two speakers under the battery door, and that makes a huge difference in the speakerphone, and music and video playback. Good job RIM.

Oh let me explain the biggest disappointment when I open the box. The case that comes with this BB is the most awful I have ever seen. It is simple a little pouch with no belt clip of any kind, you put the BB in the pouch to put the whole thing in your pocket? Thank the lord I had already ordered my Boxwave active case a couple months ago so I will use that instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cp6169; 11-23-2007 at 11:20 PM.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Review: Sprint 8130

Thanks for the review Chris. I know someone else that has this phone and says that it is very very buggy. They also are coming from qwerty. If this is the case RIM should really fix this stuff before they release it.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Chris don't knock that case! Some of us love being able to carry our Pearls in our pockets without getting them beaten up!

Thanks for the review. Its a shame there are a few glitches. Sounds like the 4.3 improvements are pretty nice.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

Sounds like they released the same phone with the carrier specifics aside. I'm working with the Verizon Pearl and have drawn almost all the same conclusions. I do like the pouch however ha! The main thing at this point that keeps me from going back to the 8830 is the size and lack of a camera. I knew those details when I got it so I'm not really complaining. I'm just saying that being able to picture message again has been extremely pleasant.

On that picture messaging note I think the Verizon camera is a ton faster. None of that 7 second business. And I have mine on all the highest settings for quality and such. So I'm not really sure what the deal is there.

And when I first started on the suretype keyboard it had some issues getting the word I want first if there are certain words that use the same button combination. But it seems the more I select the word I want over the one that is suggested it brings it up less often. And in my experience this a fine time to take advantage of the predictive text or use AutoText if you can. Predictive text only slows you down for a few seconds but then you're right back at it.

And lastly I'd say that the appearance of the name for each application is also faster on the Verizon version. Again not really sure what the cause of that would be.

Thanks for review its good to see a comparison from another company. On a side note. Does your BlackBerry Pearl have multi page texting? I'm wondering if I need to have a beef with Verizon or not!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

I've had the Verizon 8130 now for a little over a week and I have been nothing, but happy with it. The keyboard did indeed take a bit to get used to, but now I'm actually faster on it then my old Pearl. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard setup is the Pearl itself. I like the firm and ball feel of the old Pearl rather than the weak and soft push feel of this new Pearl.

Yeah I've also noticed on the Verizon Pearl vs. my TMO Pearl I can only text 135 characters before being forced to send. The TMO Pearl just carried over into multiple texts. I haven't been able to find a setting to change this on the 8130 yet.

This OS seems A LOT faster than previous BB OSes so Chris it may just be your phone. My camera is very fast and I'm happy for that cause my 8100 took a long time to save the pic and I often got frustrated with that.

Other than that it's a great phone.
    Last edited by alwaysbelieve1; 11-22-2007 at 01:58 PM.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I've seen that pouch! It should be burned!

Good review, but give it some time. Its new so the bugs have to be worked out. No color pearl is a big letdown for me!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Sprint limites the sms to 160 characters for sms. Thanks for all the input guys, I am keeping my 8830 and switching back and forth every couple weeks. I like the 8830 size, smaller doesnt really matter to me. Everything is getting much faster as I go. I am tethering right now on EVDO and am very happy with that.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks for the review cp. I want to see the pearl in person. I just don't see it topping the 8830. keep us updated on whether it grows on you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks for the review cp. I want to see the pearl in person. I just don't see it topping the 8830. keep us updated on whether it grows on you or not.
    How would it not top it? I wouldn't get any other BB after I went to the original Pearl from an 8703e. It's a great, great little phone that really packs a punch.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

didomenico77 no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the review!

I'll be picking mine up tomorrow (finally!!!) Can't wait!

I'll post a review with some pics just for the sake of wanting to give out some info for those of you who are new to blackberries just like me! (This is my first one!)

PIN/ID
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    How would it not top it? I wouldn't get any other BB after I went to the original Pearl from an 8703e. It's a great, great little phone that really packs a punch.
    I just dont see it topping the 8830. There is not a single thing about the 8830 I would change and CP doesnt sound too impressed with the 8130. Thats all. To each his own.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Indeed, but I don't see what the 8830 can do that my Verizon 8130 can't. I have GPS which works awesome! It's much smaller and is just a terrific phone.

The 8830 is also a good phone for those needing what it looks like and does.

Most all BBs these days aren't much different than the last except when it comes to form factor. Other than that they are PRETTY MUCH all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    I just dont see it topping the 8830. There is not a single thing about the 8830 I would change and CP doesnt sound too impressed with the

8130. Thats all. To each his own.
    Also CP is just one person and he's grown with more of the bigger BBs than any of the smaller one since he works for Sprint.

Think about that. His taste comes from what he sees everyday.

dchris96 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301054FF

Have you been able to load applications using the Desktop manager? I just got the Pearl from Verizon and I cannot load any apps with the Desktop Manager.

PIN/ID
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    Also CP is just one person and he's grown with more of the bigger BBs than any of the smaller one since he works for Sprint.

Think about that. His taste comes from what he sees everyday.
    I understand. I started with a 7250 which is a full keyboard and now still have a full keyboard. I just cant see having SureType. I although I will have to see and use one in person before i place too much judgment on something i havent used before. As long as you are happy with your 8130 then its all good.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast