Product: Solar Power Charger for Cellphone/Digital Camera/PDA/MP3/MP4/iPod MSRP: $16.22 Web site: http://www.budgetgadgets.com Direct URL: http://www.budgetgadgets.com/-p-3598.html ... Smartphone Reviews forum

patrick168 no está en línea Stack level 1

REVIEW: Solar Power Charger for Cellphone/Digital Camera/PDA/MP3/MP4/iPod

Advertisement

Product: Solar Power Charger for Cellphone/Digital Camera/PDA/MP3/MP4/iPod
    MSRP: $16.22
    Web site: http://www.budgetgadgets.com
    Direct URL: http://www.budgetgadgets.com/-p-3598.html

Introduction
    With modern gadgetry placing ever increasing demands for portable power, the Solar Power Charger comes at just the right time to save you from running out of juice while away from a wall outlet and at the same time helping out the environment.

In The Box
    The charger comes in a standard (no-thrills) box with [/FONT]

• Charging unit (your choice of 3 different colors – pink, blue, and black)
    • Four phone connectors (including connections for mini-USB, Nokia, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson, Samsung, etc)
    • AC adapter

Specifications
    The built-in high capacity rechargeable polymer lithium ion battery is rated 900-1100mah. There are 3 methods for charging the main battery:

1. Directly via AC Adapater in 5 hours
    2. USB via PC in 5 hours
    3. Direct sunlight – 10 -15 hours

Charging time is about 60 minutes – depending on your mobile device. I was able to fully charge my Blackberry Pearl in about that time.

Battery Rating: 900-1100 mah
    Dimensions – 3.66 x 1.69 x 039 in
    Weight – 4.12 oz

Testing
    The charging time was in-line with the specifications. When using the solar charging feature, you really want the solar panel to be in direct sunlight. Indirect sunlight will take far longer to charge the battery, but still works. There is an LED indicator that is green while charging and the indicator illuminates once the battery is full.

Blackberry Pearl. The solar charge was plugged in to a half discharged Pearl. After around 30 minutes, the Pearl was fully charged.

iPod Nano 1st generation. From a completely discharged battery on the Nano, the charge was able to impact a 100% charge to the Nano in about 4 hours.

Conclusion
    While I had doubts about this type of devices at first, having waste money on a Kensington Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices which did not work on my Blackberry and trying other more expensive solar chargers, I have come to enjoy using this charger everyday. Besides a great alternative power supply for my portable devices, it will come in handy having the extra power in the car or while hiking through the wilderness. I came away with a positive impression of this device, especially at the bargain-basement price for $15 with free shipping from http://www.budgetgadgets.com
    Last edited by azstar; 01-17-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: font formatting

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the review. I'd seen the BudgetGadgets site mentioned on another site and wondered about them.

Any comments about the build quality or the purchase experience/delivery time?

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks for the great post Patrick
    Last edited by Berryadict; 01-17-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'd seen the BudgetGadgets site mentioned on another site and wondered about them.

Any comments about the build quality or the purchase experience/delivery time?
    RedNightHawk,

Great questions.

1. The build quality is surprising good. The charger seems to be solid and the included accessories do not feel cheap. The wall unit charger was the worst quality but still usable.
    2. Purchase experience/delivery time. The purchase experience was fine. You can pay with PayPal. The delivery time is not great as they are located in Asia but not bad. Took 2 weeks but I expect better delivery time on my next purchase as this was done over the December holiday season.

Hope this helps.

Big thank you PS-Mod team for fixing my post.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for the review, well done
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Nice review thank you for sharing Patrick.

Macinshak no está en línea Stack level 2
    looks like a sweet deal! did u use the mini USB to book it up tothe blackbry? or was there another adaptor u had to purchase? I'm using a bb 8900 which I know has a slightly plug in connector than the older 8310 models etc really login the solar panel idea especially when summer. is just around the corner
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    VERY nice review. I'm going to order one of these. You never know when something like this could come in handy.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Macinshak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Will this work with a New Curve?? 8900 with the Mini-usb I think thats what its called!