Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

UPDATE: NOW WORKS WITH 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS VIA THE APPLICATION SWITCHER......bumped to 5 stars for ... Smartphone Reviews forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Thumbs up Review: SnapScreen for OS 4.3+ Screenshots right on BB, no PC connection required!

Advertisement

UPDATE:NOW WORKS WITH 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS VIA THE APPLICATION SWITCHER......bumped to 5 stars for me
    Update, it appears there are still a few 3rd party apps where there are problems getting a screenshot. Some mapping applications sometimes give a white screenshot or you have to request the screenshot more than once to get it. Also in mapping apps, wait to try and get your screenshot until the data finishes downloading. For Google maps, try temporarily disableing the "My Location" feature, exit, then go back in and it tends to work better for me then. I have been in contact with the developer and they are investigating.

If you have trouble with a particular application please post the name and version number of the application and exactly what the problem is and I'll pass it on to Virtual Views.

Verdict: Buy It or at least try it, free trial now offered as of 04/09/08

Pros: Easy to use, inexpensive, works very well, quality screenshots in small file size, saves directly to media card

Cons: NONE now since issues fixed and seems to work with all applications via the application switcher (hold ALT, press escape, while still holdong ALT, use trackball to scroll to snapscreen application. Once SnapScreen is highlighted, release the alt button and your screenshot can be saved)

URL: http://blackberryshop.pinstack.com/p...or-OS-4%2E3%2B

Price: $4.99 on sale through 04/15/08, then $5.99

Overall Rating 5 stars

SnapScreen for OS 4.3+ by VirtualViews.com
    Takes screenshots directly on your BB, no connection to PC required

This is a review of a new software application for Blackberries with the 4.3 OS or higher, so for right now that means I believe only the 8120 and 8130 can use it at this time.

I love this application! It has a nice small file size, only takes up 20kb on the device memory. During the download/install process it automatically sets up a folder on the media card and places all screenshots there so no device memory is used. The screenshots themselves are good quality about 15-20kb in size.

This one was taken with JL_Cmder

This one was taken with SnapScreen

I think the quality of the images is pretty comparable.

Once the application is downloaded, it is available in most menus on the BB, for example:

Just click on SnapScreen, the screen will be outlined in red to show it has been selected and a box appears "Save Screen?", just click yes or no and it is saved. These screenshots can easily be sent via email or accessed by your laptop or PC when the BB is hooked up via USB and Mass Storage Mode is enabled. It is extremely easy to use.

It puts an icon on your device, but when you click on it, it just offers to take a screenshot of that exact page with all your other application icons so I find it rather pointless.

The SnapScreen application can be accessed several ways:
    1. It shows up in most BB menus, for example while browsing with the BB browser, media, messages, etc. and many more

2.It also appears in the switch application list. Just hold ALT and press escape, while holding ALT scroll to SnapScreen and release the ALT button, then your screenshot can be saved

3.It can be assigned to a convenience key. I found this to be the most helpful if planning to take many screenshots, this is the quickest and easiest way to do it.

What are it's uses and why buy it if JL_Cmder is free?
    1. It's even easier to use than JL_Cmder, just a couple clicks on the BB and it's saved.

2. No PC or USB needed......if you are away from your computer and your BB or an application starts behaving strangely, just take a screenshot so you'll have it later for troubleshooting.

3. Images can be quickly and easily sent via email if desired, I'm not sure about MMS though since it's still not available for Alltel BBs yet.

4. You can even save screenshots of maps, if you know you're heading to an area with poor service and are worried about your data connection they can be saved in your SnapScreen folder:

So, final verdict, I love this program

I will continue to play around with this and add to the review as needed. If you have more ideas for good uses please post!

All screenshots were taken by SnapScreen except the one specified taken by JL_Cmder.
    Last edited by azstar; 04-12-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: New version released, some issues corrected and that info added to review
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Damn thats pretty good I was still borderline on whether or not to buy this

Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    Damn thats pretty good I was still borderline on whether or not to buy this
    It is great, but it won't run on your 8310 quite yet, only works on OS 4.3 or higher.......but once that new updated OS finally gets released....get it!
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    LESS
    heh it will if its 4.5 lol

blackman711 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the review. I really like the suggestion to save maps as screenshots. I think that is one very practical way that I can benefit from this. Just waiting for the OS upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by blackman711 View Post

Thanks for the review. I really like the suggestion to save maps as screenshots. I think that is one very practical way that I can benefit from this. Just waiting for the OS upgrade.

Thanks, I think I will find all sorts of great uses for this app. I hope others will try it and share beneficial ways they use it too!
    Twitter? My Apps List

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~this looks really neat. I'm going to have to check this out.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Excellent review!

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Very Cool & About time ! Thanks.
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Stellar review aztar!! Thank you!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    awesome - where did you buy it from?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    awesome - where did you buy it from?

Right here at the Pinstack Store, I had the URL up there but somehow during editing I must have lost it, but I added it back.
    Twitter? My Apps List

ssemmel no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301076F8
    your screen shot shows that you could download a trial. I dont see that availble on the site. Is a trial still available? if it doesnt work on all 3rd party apps, there should be a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by ssemmel View Post
    your screen shot shows that you could download a trial. I dont see that availble on the site. Is a trial still available? if it doesnt work on all 3rd party apps, there should be a trial.

That "Try" button only shows up when you look the application up from your BB browser and only goes to a link stating the app must be downloaded via desktop. There is no free trial. Not sure why the "Try" button shows up on the mobile browser.
    Twitter? My Apps List

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3
    Don't work with bb curve 8300....unless you have 4.3 or greater OS running on your bb!!
    Last edited by butterfly2; 04-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
    Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast