Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verdict: Good quality, great value and elegant Pros: Adds little weight or size to device, ... Smartphone Reviews forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

Review: Slim line pull strap leather case for Bold and 8900

Advertisement

Verdict: Good quality, great value and elegant
    Pros: Adds little weight or size to device, great price
    Cons: None
    URL: http://www.pdahut.com
    Price: Ł9.95
    Overall rating: 5/5

Cases are of course one of the most important investments you can make for a smartphone which costs many hundreds of pounds or dollars, yet they are not always practical and sometimes they simply add too much bulk to make using them a practical option.

PDA Hut has recently released smartphone sleeves for the BlackBerry Curve 8900 (http://www.pdahut.com/store/product.php?productid=21174) and BlackBerry Bold (http://www.pdahut.com/store/product.php?productid=21177) which retail for only Ł9.95. I originally discounted even trying them because of the price- this may sound strange, but I like very good quality cases on my smartphones and the price alone suggested that these may not be up to scratch. How wrong I was...

The leather is lovely and soft and there is an inner lining which cushions the phones from damage. It feels like a much more expensive case, but more importantly it hugs the phone perfectly and adds very little to the overall dimensions. It is hard to explain what makes the design feel so good, but if you like good quality cases you will understand what I am saying.

The stitching is excellent with only a small part out of line, this may be just the sample I have, on the pull-out strap and there is a small logo on the front which is barely noticeable. This makes up a stylish yet discreet look which fits the BlackBerry ethos perfectly.

With slip cases it is often difficult to remove a phone, especially on a case which hugs the device so well, but there is a clever little strap included which does the job for you. You simply dull the strap and the phone glides out from the top- it is such a simple mechanism yet it works so well. I tested an iPhone case as well to see if it would damage the ultra fragile back, but there have been no marks or scratches on my iPhone or Curve 8900 since trying these.

As it happens, these cases have been in permanent use since I received them and there’s no going back. In all my years of reviewing PDA related accessories, never have I found a case so simple and elegant at a price which is unparalleled. Quite simply brilliant!
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks for the review, I like the idea of the tab to slide the phone out, no fingerprints from grabbing it to tug it out of the case

I checked it out and it would be about $23 with the shipping here to the US, not bad at all, especially for a real leather case...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Great review-very well done, thanks.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

janboothrn no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    ?

Slim line pull strap leather case for Bold

I just ordered it because my neighbor sent me a text about it; went to PDAHut.com and it was only $14.15 after shipping and handling of $5.50, might have been on sale, but I was pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to receive it.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Interesting. Sure beats the slip case that now seems to come with all BB's. I used the one for the 8900 until I couldn't stand pulling it out with thumb and fore-finger any more. Then bought the innocase. That protects it but that's not exactly what I want either. I may just have to give this a try, exchange rate, fees and all.

UPDATE: Did it!
    Last edited by jblackfish; 06-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

n0130185 no está en línea Stack level 1
    what about the magnet that puts the BB on standby mode? the holster that comes with my BB curve 8900 kills the battery. what is the difference between this and the next?

ok i just read the product details:
    Sleep function to save battery life of your Blackberry

if anyone has it please tell me if it truly works because i would love to try this nice looking case... :O)

I just put my 8900 on clock, bedside mode and don't worry about it. It seems to work fine without a "sleep" magnet.

oh ok thanks... but do you use that particular case? or you just dont have the need for it? is that what you are telling me? sorry sooo many questions lol

sorry i just read your comment right above mine and I see that you dont have the case. I use the blackberry skin case for now and put it on stanby mode. it works great and battery life is pretty good.

I just ordered the case today. I've been using the Seidio innocase without the holster so I don't have the magnet on that either. I'm only interested in the slim characteristic and the pull tab to get it out. I don't care much about the magnet for my 8900.

Lindararith no está en línea Stack level 3
    Before I buy this case ... Can you tell me if it have the magnet to put the phone in to standby mode?

Lindaratith, The ad lists one of the features: "Sleep function to save battery life of your Blackberry" so I presume it has the "sleep function" magnet in it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I would love to get this case also, but my main concern is that most of the holsters for the newer BBs do not put the device on standby mode while in there causing the phone's battery to drain faster than usual. thats my only concern. thank you for replying Jblackfish. :O)

As I said, I believe it does have the sleep function. If you have a case that doesn't you can set your "backlight timeout" to a lower number of seconds AND set the "backlight brightness" to a lower percentage. Those two things save battery.

I've operated both with the "sleep" function and without it - I don't notice much difference in battery usage either way. In my opinion the "sleep" function saves very little power comparted to some of the power-hogging aps like radio streaming or aps that do frequent updates of new items, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast