Verdict: Elegant and beautifully designed Pros : Superb build quality, does not add to device ... Smartphone Reviews forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

REVIEW: Piel Frama Leather Flip Case for BlackBerry Curve 8900

Advertisement

Verdict: Elegant and beautifully designed
    Pros: Superb build quality, does not add to device dimensions much
    Cons: Front flap will hang when on a call
    URL: http://www.pielframa.com/cases.asp?i...oma=en&color=2
    Price: 70 Euros
    Overall rating: 4/5

Piel Frama is well known for producing quality smartphone accessories in the higher end of the market, and at 70 Euros this particular case is not cheap. The question is if it lives up to the price tag? It may appear to be expensive at first glance, but with the smartphone it is protecting retailing at close to Ł400 it seems like a reasonable price to pay to protect it.

In the box

The box contents are not what you would normally expect with a smartphone case, but this is definitely a good thing. Here is what you get-

A belt clip
    A key to remove the belt clip stud on the back
    Three replacement flat studs for if you do decide to remove the belt clip stud
    Instruction sheet for belt clip removal
    Small leaflets which offer more information on Piel Frama as a company
    The entire package is well made and subtly brings over a message of quality without going over the top.

The case

The case itself is a flip style which offers more protection that most can due to its design. The screen is protected by a soft covering which also has a mesh insert for a credit card or loose notes. There is also a further slot behind this for extra storage. This style is excellent for protection, ABS inserted protection included, but has the disadvantage of being slightly less quick when receiving a phone call. You can use the Curve perfectly well while in the case, but the front flap will hang down which may not be ideal for some.

The build quality is as good as I have seen in any case; from the stitching to the perfectly cut slots for the camera, everything is made to complement the rest of the design. The Curve sits firmly within the case, but there is no chance of damage occurring because the leather is soft enough to avoid any small scratches occurring when in situ.

There are also cut-outs for the charging port and the left / right convenience keys which ensure that all of the standard functions are accessible all of the time. Strangely I found it very easy to type with the Curve in the case, and in fact it seemed slightly easier than normal. I guess that the slight increase in dimensions and the soft leather is responsible for this.

Conclusion

I tend to know what to expect from Piel Frama these days, having used lots of its cases in the past, and it is gratifying to see that the standard has not deteriorated at all. This is by far the best quality case I have used for the past 2 years, and as such makes the 70 Euro price tag seem more than fair.

This style of case from Piel Frama is available for many makes and models of smartphone and PDA so you can expect the same level of quality no matter what device you own.
    Last edited by stmcgill; 03-28-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks for the review. I know a few people who would invest in that case. I'm not big on flip cases but its nice.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I haven't typically been big on flip cases either but I am looking for a nice alternative to some of the snap on cases that Seidio and other vendors carry.

Nothing wrong with some of those cases, they're just not for me.

I think my biggest thing is that I truely do prefer keeping my berry in my front pocket day to day, and I have yet to find a suitable case/holder to meet my demands.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I wouldn't use something like this on a regular basis because of the flap being annoying when on a call, but on days when I want to travel light and not carry a purse this would be nice. Of course I liked the more expensive alligator one more

Thanks for the review Shaun, I will keep these cases in mind for my next device.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I wouldn't use something like this on a regular basis because of the flap being annoying when on a call, but on days when I want to travel light and not carry a purse this would be nice. Of course I liked the more expensive alligator one more

Thanks for the review Shaun, I will keep these cases in mind for my next device.
    you must have pockets
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I digg this case. I am big on protection other than convenience on answering calls. Good looks and review on the case.

loreelizabeth no está en línea Stack level 2
    Great review stmcgill. This case is beautiful but I'm unsure whether I'd like the flip. I wish they had other models to choose from but I just may buy it anyway.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I am a BIG fan of Piel Frama. Great cases, great service....

I have a review somewhere as well. Will repost/piggyback if OP has no objections...

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    It would be so bad if the flap didn't naturally spring back. If the flap easily folded down towards the back of the phone and didn't try and bounce back I think it'd be great.

I'd be largely in favor of a case like this if there was more of a hinged flap as opposed to a springy material "hinge" like I'm assuming this case is sporting.

drmoze no está en línea Stack level 2
    I like the looks of my Vaja much better than this. No ugly stitching around the screen, also high quality. No flip cover, but I use a BSE skin and have no worries about the screen being protected.