Verdict: Permanent New Home For My 8100 Pros: Open Face Design; Tight Fit; Belt Clip ... Smartphone Reviews forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: Phantom Black CaseMate BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Cabriolet Case

Advertisement

Verdict: Permanent New Home For My 8100
    Pros: Open Face Design; Tight Fit; Belt Clip Easily Mounted, Accessed and Removed
    Cons: Screen Protector; Won't work with my upcoming 8120
    Price: $34.99
    URL: http://www.case-mate.com/phones/blac...rry-pearl-case
    Rating:
    9/10

Got this case via UPS yesterday. I ordered my case in black with my name on the back above the Case Mate logo and below the PinStack logo. This is my 3rd open face case for my Pearl and I have to say that this will be its permanent home.

The box this case came in is a nice beige colored box with Case Mate on it (for those of you who have the box still). The box also contained a screen protector which I just tossed after fighting with it, and a cleaning cloth which is black with "Case Mate Fine Leather Goods" in white lettering enclosed in a red circle around "Case Mate" embossed on it.

This case is a very smooth leather skin case. It feels good in the hand which will prevent drops. The top and sides of the case (which expose the headphone jack, USB port, and volume keys) are completely open (cabriolet style). Below these are portions of the case that protect the chrome and enclose the convenience keys. The keyboard is also left uncovered for easy typing while leaving the phone in the case.

The surprise of this case came when I put the belt clip on the back. I had never really used a belt clip of any kind (although I ordered Fortte cases with the 360 degree swivel clips, and promptly proceeded to remove them) because I didn't like the way they felt when attached to the seatbelt of my chair. This clip has changed my mind. In fact, I didn't even realize I had ordered the case with the belt clip when I placed the order LOL

The case came with a 360 degree swivel/ratchet clip, which actually locks into place once you swivel it to get it onto the metal stud on the back. Turning the clip every 90 degrees makes it function like a ratchet clip by locking it in place. This clip is removable by pressing in on the button on the top of the clip and rotating it counter-clockwise (rotating it clockwise to attach) on the metal stud on the back of the case. I had a little trouble getting it back off the case but I soon realized I would be better off keeping it there. I have played with the clip a few times since receiving the case and it is something I can live with.

The big problem with this case took place when I applied the screen protector. At first it worked great until I realized I had it on crooked. Getting the protector back OFF the phone was a struggle. Once I got it aligned properly, it collected air bubbles beneath it and looked dirty. I ended up trashing it. I will just use the cleaning cloth that came with the case to keep the screen clean. The case does allow me to use my 1250mAh or 1500mAh slim extended batteries.

Overall, this case is a solid case that will house my Pearl for a long time even after I retire it to use my 8120.

EDIT: Forgot to attach the pics LOL Here they are
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-22-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Case Does Work With Items Previously Thought Incompatible

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Nice review!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

Original post corrected...this case DOES work with the 1250mAh and 1500mAh Slim Extended Batteries, as well as the wrist lanyard.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-22-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Joe's BB no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the review I just may have to get one here in the near future if still available.

They are available.

kayj no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Thanks Erica I get mine tomorrow for my 8100 pearl I hope am as happy as you are lol great review !

Kayj

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Cool nice review i get mine on the mail sometime at the end of the week

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ You will love the 8100 case. My only beef with it is that it won't be able to work with the 8120. I should have just waited and replied stating I wanted a case for that model.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    What you bought sounds identical to the skin and holster I bought from case mate, which, I had my name inscribed on the back also. Sorry to hear about your screen protector. I had the same problem. You only get 1 screen protector and you only have one chance to get it right. I went to Best Buy and bought a replacement protector and I am happy now. As far as the skin and holster go I'm loving it and would recommend it to anyone who has and loves their blackberry. I do sleep with my blackberry and I place it inside the holster so there is zero chance of any keys being pressed if I happen to roll over on it I while sleep. The case and skin just give you a safe feeling when you pick your bb up!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I am NOT a happy camper AT ALL as of this afternoon (although picking up my 8120 has helped me calm down a bit)!!

I go to put my case on my seat belt of my chair where I wear it for easy access to my 8100. The belt clip, plastic stud AND about 1 centimeter of the leather on my case RIPPED OFF the back of the case. There is now a hole exposing the material under the leather the case is made of.

I have sent an email to Case Mate telling them what happened. Spoiled my experience with their products because I JUST got my 8120 this afternoon and don't know if I'm gonna waste another $25 for a case that cheaply made.