Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review: Seidio 8130 Extended Battery Part #: BAS112BBX4S Capacity: 1250 mAhr Size: 38mm x ~10.5mm ... Smartphone Reviews forum

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Review: New Seidio 8130 Extended Battery

Advertisement

Review: Seidio 8130 Extended Battery
    Part #: BAS112BBX4S
    Capacity: 1250 mAhr
    Size: 38mm x ~10.5mm x 60mm (original battery: 38mm x ~9.5mm x 60mm)

Updated in red.

Well today is the start of day two of trying the new Seidio Extended Battery for the 8130 Pearl II (thanks to Seidio and Hayden). I waited to post this so I could get a good day of use out of it and go through at least two charges before writing a review.

I received the battery on Tuesday and could not wait to get started with it. As anyone that has the 8130 can tell you, the standard battery that comes with the BB just doesn't quite cut it as far as battery life cycles go. If you are like me and are on the BB all day with emails, chats, calls and BBM, then you probably drain and charge your 8130 at least twice a day (or more). Well this will help, a lot!

The standard battery that comes with the 8130 is a 900 mAhr lithium cell. The Seidio extended battery is a 1250 mAhr. Seidio also states on their website that you will get 30% more power from this battery, and you will. I have provided some charge and use times below. So far I have noticed a great improvement in battery life and a big reduction of charge cycles. I always had to charge the standard battery three times a day.

Day One: Received the battery and immediately installed and started to charge as per the instructions in the package (8hrs for initial charge). When I put it in it had 45% charge. I started the charge at 3:50PM and it was at full charge at 7:10PM. I removed it and started using the BB as usual. By 6:30 the next morning it was at 55%. By 10:30AM it was at 20%. I started charging it again at 10:45AM and it reached full capacity at 1:20PM. By 7:00PM I was down to 50%. I started charging it again and was at 100% at 8:45PM (I know that was not a complete drain but I was trying to get a sense of charge times from various levels). At the time of this writing at 9:20AM it is down to 40%.

Today is day two and I will again be keeping track of the charge times. I will update this thread with the charge times and capacities until I reach the recommended 5 to 6 charge cycles that Seidio and the package insert states will result in performance improvements. I also removed Viigo temporarily to see if that helps improve my use times.

OK, today is day three (afternoon) and I have just started the 5th charge cycle. So far that is great, since with my standard battery I would have had 5 charge cycles in the first two days. Yesterday (day two) I was at 20% at 1:00PM (at 9:20 I was at 40%, slow day) and I charged it to 100% by 4:25PM. Almost 3.5 hrs for an 80% charge, not bad. The only problem I have right now is that I am on a day time charge and I'm not charging at night. That's not always good if you are on the go all day. I can not always find a place to charge so just need to get on a schedule, that's all. It should be easy with this battery since I can go all day on one charge now.

I won't be updating this post anymore, but I will answer any questions in this thread.

Pros: This battery uses the same battery door that comes with the 8130, there is no need to get another battery door like many other extended batteries require; reduces the number of charges per day in half.

Cons: Although it uses the same battery door, the battery itself is about 1mm taller than the standard battery, this makes the battery door fit a little more snug. This should not be a problem. A good thing about that is it stops my battery door from "sliding" around in place, it also makes the 8130 "feel" more solid. So I guess it is not a terrible con.

Installed Apps: JiveTalk, PinStack Launcher, BBM, Gmail, Ascendo DataVault, Google Maps, TeleNav, Viigo; v4.3.097 (platform: 3.1.0.51); 15.9 MB free memory
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 02-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Review: New Seidio 8130 Extended Battery

~via TMo BB8100(wap.pinstack.com)~ Nice review. I just wish this was available for my 8100 so I can stop ordering kits with bigger doors.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Good post d-daddy. Look forward to a progress report as you go along.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9

i got the extended battery for my 8100 and instead of charging it everyday sometimes i go 2-3 days with out charging it and i talk on my phone all day

Here is a picture of the two batteries side by side. For reference on size.

(edited: posted better picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 02-28-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: posted better picture

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9

wow i thought it would have been bigger, but like you said you didnt need a battery door

Quote Originally Posted by blacktouch007 View Post
    wow i thought it would have been bigger, but like you said you didnt need a battery door
    To be honest, this is what RIM "should" have made for it originally.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46

Works well on my 8130. Thanks for the review and I agree with doughdaddy.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    To be honest, this is what RIM "should" have made for it originally.
    I agree with that too. The batter for the Pearl is just a little inadequate for much usage.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MHutch30 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    cnAsk4it

Helpful review-thanks!

dhyde79 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319FB186

got mine in yesterday around noon, charged it for about 6 hours, pulled it, used it till about 10 when I went to bed, charged till 8:30 this morning, will report back at the end of the day as to if there's any more life than my old one....

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~wow that's great I hope they release one for the pearl cause I don't want my phone to be any bigger I'm on my phone all day and my phones dead about noon

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

Nice review, and might i say what a graphic avatar you have there doughdaddy...
    :)

Just kneeding the dough that's all..

and thank you

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

Great post! The only omissions were price and availability. I could definitely use this product since I usually have to "take it easy" if I want a full days use out of my pearl. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast