Choosing the best video converter for your smartphone or PDA can be extremely difficult because ... Smartphone Reviews forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

Review: Mobiola Video Studio

Advertisement

Choosing the best video converter for your smartphone or PDA can be extremely difficult because there are many converters on the market which all claim to do similar things, and even more smartphones that require very different encoded videos.

Mobiola Video Studio makes some big claims such as-
    • Converts DVD, YouTube, Metacafe, Google Video, iTunes video files (majority of formats), groups of files or folders to the best video format played by your device.
    • Has unique DRAG AND DROP to device functionality from DVD or from the browser (YouTube, Google Video).
    • Has QUEUE OF JOBS, do not wait until previous conversion is done, just drag and drop new files and YouTube links.
    • Supported formats: avi, 3gp, mov, mpeg, mpg, mjpeg, mp4, mg2, mve, m4v, mkv, flv, smk, str, vob, rm, fli, flc, wve, uv2, wmv, 3g2, asf, m4a
    The huge range of devices supported is impressive and just about every possible device, screen size and format is covered. All you do is choose your device and away you go. I tested DVD conversion and this worked particularly well with all 7 episodes of Friends from a disc listed- you click each one and they will all be converted in the background. Choosing high quality for my Blackberry Bold resulted in 170MB files, but I can cope with that as I have a 16GB microSD card. One 2 hour film came out at just over 600MB which is steep, but if your device has a good screen there is little point in encoding a video at low or normal quality. There is an option to split files up to a certain MB, and this may be useful for devices that suffer from audio / video sync issues. Some phones have this issues with files over 100MB, especially BlackBerry’s and Nokia’s.

Next I tested the YouTube conversion and this is even more impressive- just input the URL of the video you want to watch on you device and it will start converting. You can also queue many video files from various sources to leave a batch converting in the background.

Throughout my testing I didn’t have one single issue with the software or the resulting video quality. If you have the space available, you can go full steam ahead and aim for the highest quality possible. There is a small annoyance in that you cannot hide the program unless you right click the toolbar icon at the bottom of your Windows screen- it would be nice to have the standard minimize button present.

I tested this software on a Blackberry Bold and iPod Touch and both received high quality video which is more than respectable. The software is not very attractive from an interface point of view, but it is a great solution for people who want a one touch solution for moving videos over to their smartphone. It is especially useful for people who move devices often, or those with multiple devices, because of the inbuilt flexibility.

There are free solutions on the market as well, but I do not consider $24.95 overpriced for an application which does quite a big job with ease. Before you buy it though check out the developer’s forums where a few issues have been raised.

Available from Warelex for $24.95 (Pro version also available).
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    I thought 16gb didnt come out yet? where did you get it?
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Do they ship to the States, Shaun?

Looks like they do. US price is 115.00.

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    Nice sounding product, and nice write-up.

PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=173933 Quite expensive compared to the UK price.
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com

I'll say! I'll wait 'til it's available in the States. Thanks!

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Wow, cool, thats the rate of change for you, I just checked and got 110, and using paypal rate, 103 :P if you click on do not convert. Its cheaper to change $ to L over there then to do it in the usa
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    Got to be the first time the UK gets anything for cheaper than America. Makes a refreshing change
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com

vdiddy09 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Man you can step ya game up learn the right encodes...and save ya 25 duckits..I'm a pro at converting!

PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    Man you can step ya game up learn the right encodes...and save ya 25 duckits..I'm a pro at converting!
    That's why I said there are free versions available and that this is a simple solution. This software is for people like me who can't be bothered to step up our games
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com