I have been playing around with a cool new app for BlackBerry from Virtual Views ... Smartphone Reviews forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: MobiMouse for BlackBerry

Advertisement

I have been playing around with a cool new app for BlackBerry from Virtual Views called MobiMouse. It basically allows you to use your BlackBerry as a mouse for your PC. At first I thought wow, this is cool, kind of a novelty but not really practical. But the longer I play with it, the more I am actually using it.

Verdict: Very cool app, many uses and new features make it even better.
    Pros: 3 ways to connect, support for Vista 64, use keys on your BlackBerry to open programs or use Windows shortcuts
    Cons: A bit tricky to set up for me, but I had never used BT with a computer before, so that was probably more my issue than the program's
    URL: http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?...e-%26-Keyboard!
    Price: Regularly $9.99 but on sale until 04-10-09 for $6.99, save 30%
    Overall Rating: Love it! There's a 7 day trial, try it out!

From the developer's description:

Turn your BlackBerry into a Wired or Wireless Mouse and Keyboard with MobiMouse!
    MobiMouse supports Bluetooth, WiFi, or USB.
    Mobimouse allows you to control the Windows cursor with your BlackBerry trackball or the touchpad on your BlackBerry Storm.
    Press the trackball for left click and the escape key for right click.
    You can even adjust the Windows volume control using the volume keys on your BlackBerry or press the mute key on your BlackBerry to mute the sound.
    Mobimouse supports full use of the BlackBerry keyboard. You can type on your Blackberry it will show up in whatever Windows application your are currently using.
    Version 1.1 of MobiMouse allows you to assign Windows Applications & Shortcuts to BlackBerry convenience keys. For example, you can launch Windows Media Player, iTunes, PowerPoint, or even a DVR application right from your BlackBerry! You can also assign shortcuts to close an application, open the default Browser, Task Manger, and many more!
    MobiMouse is great for a Windows Media PC or for giving presentations with PowerPoint.
    Don''t carry a mouse around with your notebook - use MobiMouse!
    Features:

• NEW! Assign Windows apps & Shortcuts to Convenience Keys!
    • Wired or Wireless Control
    • Move the cursor with the trackball or touch screen
    • Control Windows Wave Volume
    • Escape key to right click
    • Works with USB, Bluetooth or WiFi
    • Support most Windows Bluetooth Stacks
    • Works with Windows 32 & 64 bit systems

Benefits:
    • Remotely Control a Windows PC
    • No need to carry extra mouse with laptop

Uses:
    • Media PC
    • Presentations
    • Type on the keyboard

Now, I know that there is a free/donations requested app out there which allows you to use your BB as a BT mouse as well. But MobiMouse has many more features/options and supports more connections options, BT, Wifi, and USB, has support for XP, Vista, 32 and 64 bit systems. Works with several BT stacks including Windows, Widcomm, Toshiba, and Blue Soleil. The ability to assign windows shortcuts and programs to the convenience keys and more is fantastic and my favorite thing about the app. The support/installation documentation that comes in the zip file includes screen shots and is very detailed.

The ability to assign windows apps/shortcuts to your keys is an override feature for while MobiMouse is in use so it does not force you to change your convenience key setup for normal BB functions. You can choose to allow the program to override the normal function of the keys so I unchecked the override so I can still use the End key to quickly exit the app without needing to go through the menu first.

So here are a few of the favorite ways I have been finding myself using MobiMouse. Some of them are for the sheer geeky joy of it, some are just practcal, others are maybe out of laziness.

1. I open WMP with a convenience key and start playing some tunes. Of course I still have to be close enough to the computer to see the screen and select the playlist or album, but I can control volume and mute it quickly with the mute key on the BB if I get a phone call on the land line while at work.

2. Ever try to use your laptop in the dark, connect your BB via MobiMouse and you now have your BB's illuminated keyboard to type on.

3. Here's where the laziness comes in. My laptop is usually on, open, and on a table close to my bed, but not within arm's reach. If I wake up during the night and can't sleep, or in the 30 minutes I plan for wake-up time before I crawl out of bed in the morning I can lay in bed, BB in hand, snuggled under the covers and control my laptop. I can check the Stacks, communicate with my Facebook friends, check out news feeds, etc. on my laptop, all with the control of my BB but without the limitations of the mobile versions on the BlackBerry.

MobiMouse works with all trackball BBs running OS 4.5 or higher and works with the Storm as well. I would love to try this with the Storm's touch screen! So give it a try and if you come up with any other cool or geeky uses for MobiMouse post them!
    Last edited by azstar; 04-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Cool! Glad you found it useful. Now if only I had a computer to use it with.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Gonna try this out!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    This sounds awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Cool! Glad you found it useful. Now if only I had a computer to use it with.
    Haha, yeah, definitely need the computer too
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    I had a little trouble setting it up as well, I have a laptop with built-in bluetooth running Vista 64 and 2 desktops with bluetooth dongles, I have XP on one and Vista 32 on the other and when I open the list of bluetooth devices from within the mobimouse program it only lists the PC with XP and my GPS puck (not sure why it would list that) and neither the laptop or the other desktop are listed even though they are listed on my blackberry. I did however get it use the USB on my Vista desktop and worked well.

I have it running on my Vista 64 laptop with a USB BT dongle. But I'm still trying to get the whole BT thing figured out. I can transfer files like photos and mp3s via BT. I can BT tether and I got MobiMouse working. But I can't get the DM to connect to my BB via BT

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I have it running on my Vista 64 laptop with a USB BT dongle. But I'm still trying to get the whole BT thing figured out. I can transfer files like photos and mp3s via BT. I can BT tether and I got MobiMouse working. But I can't get the DM to connect to my BB via BT
    did you check
    bt connection on your dm?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Yepp...but it won't connect..

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    going to get this tonight or tomm to try out. . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

I finally got this working on bluetooth and usb. After running it for a day my computer started acting sluggish. I opened up the taskmanager and mobimouse was eating 540 meg of memory and climbing. I right clicked the mouse in my tray and clicked on "exit" and the mouse went away from the tasktray but the program was still in the taskmanager and the memory was climbing. I had to kill the process. Memory leak?

Interesting, I have not had issues or looked at its memory usage on my pc. Contact support@ virtualviews dot com with your concerns.

DeSalvionjr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Cool!

The original problem I had with memory useage has not returned, now it's working great, I may have caused the problem by trying to get it to work with my phone. I am pretty sure I'm buying this one.

AgentMissa no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    310986F5
    I LOVE THIS APP! It was very easy to set up. I'm always lookin for apps that make life easier and this does. In my situation I can not use my keyboard unless I'm in a chair. Like Azstar mentioned, its good for being lazy and staying in bed.