Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I did a review of the first release of MobiMouse several weeks ago, but the ... Smartphone Reviews forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: MobiMouse 1.3 Use Your BlackBerry as a Mouse & Keyboard for your PC

Advertisement

I did a review of the first release of MobiMouse several weeks ago, but the developer, Virtual Views, has added so many new features that I decided it needs a new review.

Verdict: Very cool app with many uses
    Pros: Multiple connection options, support for Vista 64(tests on Windows 7 32 bit worked well too), use keys on your BlackBerry to open programs or use Windows shortcuts
    Cons: It can be a bit complicated to set up some of the ways of connecting. The native things like auto capitalizing the word I don't translate to the PC screen.
    URL: Mobihand Handango
    Price: Regularly $9.99 but if you purchase it through App World then it is only $4.99 *note that right now only version 1.2 is available, version 1.3 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. Also the $4.99 is a promo price, not sure when it will end.
    Overall Rating: Love it! There's a 7 day trial available through App World, Handango, and Mobihand so try it out!
    Compatible Devices:Works with BlackBerry devices running OS 4.5 or higher including the BlackBerry Storm!

Here is the developer's description:

Turn your BlackBerry into a Wired or Wireless Mouse and Keyboard with MobiMouse!
    MobiMouse supports Bluetooth, WiFi, USB, and mobile connections.
    Mobimouse allows you to control the Windows cursor with your BlackBerry trackball or the touchpad on your BlackBerry Storm.
    Press the trackball for left click and the escape key for right click.
    You can even adjust the Windows volume control using the volume keys on your BlackBerry or press the mute key on your BlackBerry to mute the sound.
    Mobimouse supports full use of the BlackBerry keyboard. You can type on your Blackberry it will show up in whatever Windows application your are currently using.
    MobiMouse allows you to assign Windows Applications & Shortcuts to BlackBerry convenience keys. For example, you can launch Windows Media Player, iTunes, PowerPoint, or even a DVR application right from your BlackBerry! You can also assign shortcuts to close an application, open the default Browser, Task Manger, and many more!
    Use the "Arrow Mode" in the menu to simulate pressing the arrow keys on the Keyboard. This is great for controlling a program guide on your Media PC or navigating a spreadsheet or menu that typically use the arrow keys.
    Version 1.3 of MobiMouse has password support for IP Networks and supports connections via most mobile networks.
    MobiMouse is great for a Windows Media PC or for giving presentations with PowerPoint.
    Don''t carry a mouse around with your notebook - use MobiMouse!
    Features:

• NEW! Connect using the mobile network
    • Use Arrow Mode to simulate pressing Arrow Keys
    • Adjust the Backlight Brightness and Timeout
    • Options to Hibernate, Suspend or Logoff the PC
    • Assign Windows apps & Shortcuts to Convenience Keys!
    • Wired or Wireless Control
    • Move the cursor with the trackball or touch screen
    • Control Windows Master Volume
    • Escape key to right click
    • Works with USB, Bluetooth, Wifi & Mobile
    • Support most Windows Bluetooth Stacks
    • Works with Windows 32 & 64 bit systems

Benefits:
    • Remotely Control a Windows PC
    • No need to carry extra mouse with laptop

Uses:
    • Media PC
    • Presentations
    • Typing on the keyboard

Here are a few of my favorite ways to use the app:

I use it for Windows Media Player. I can be cleaning or working and listening to music. If the phone rings I can simply hit the mute key on my BB it mutes my computer, phone call over, hit mute again to turn it back on. No need to get back to my computer to turn down the tunes.

I use it to open and control my browser. Before I get out of bed in the morning or as I'm falling asleep at night I can lay in bed and control my laptop with my BB. My laptop is within easy view of my bed so I can benefit from the full screen of the laptop but lay in bed with just my BB in hand. The new arrow mode also works very well with the trackball to scroll down web pages. You can also see from the screen shot that you can assign functions to 7 of your BlackBerry keys. These can be Windows shortcuts or any program you wish.

If you are using your laptop in a dark setting, connect via MobiMouse and use your BB as an illuminated keyboard.

Use the new mobile connection to connect via your BB data connection if Bluetooth and wifi are not an option. It is a bit laggy compared to USB or Bluetooth but better than nothing. It also comes in handy for messing with people. I was able to totally freak out my son by connecting with mobimouse while I was not home, open WMP, randomly scroll around and play music, mute it and turn the volume up an down. He called me to tell me that my computer was freaking out

If you are very computer savvy then maybe you can do like the developer. He made a way for MobiMouse to open and close his garage door Note that this is not a supported function so don't write him for help with that, but check it out:

Here are links to a few other videos of MobiMouse in action:

MobiMouse
    Arrow Mode
    Apps & Shortcuts
    Last edited by azstar; 05-10-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Wow, definitely checking this out!

~via Blackberry Bold~
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Very nice review az. Going to hav to re download and give it another try.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Great review, Sam. I didn't realize how "remotely" you could use this thing as a mouse. Lying in bed and operating the laptop? That has some REAL possibilities for when we're feeling lazy! Thanks for taking the time to put the new review out there. The trial plus the promo price makes this a tempting application to try out.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

The only problem with getting the cheaper one through app world is that it is not the latest version, still waiting for approval. But if you check out the free trial of the newest version from mobihand and like it, then buy it 1/2 price at app world and the updated version should be available on app world soon.

What would make this truly awesome would be if you could see your computer screen on your BB, not sure that will ever happen.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    The only problem with getting the cheaper one through app world is that it is not the latest version, still waiting for approval. But if you check out the free trial of the newest version from mobihand and like it, then buy it 1/2 price at app world and the updated version should be available on app world soon.

What would make this truly awesome would be if you could see your computer screen on your BB, not sure that will ever happen.
    K. Thanks...and, seeing your laptop screen on the BB WOULD be cool!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

My 1st problem is that it didn't "turn on blue tooth and connect" although I selected "ok" at the startup screen - I had to turn it on manually. Now my BB and laptop are connected I can't use the trial - it's got no "trial" option and I don't have a registration code so I can't use.

I'm gonna try to uninstall and do this over again. I don't know a lot but I KNOW how to set up a trial!

Bluetooth setup is complicated. You have to create a com port for it on your computer. Read the documentation. There is nothing special to do to use the trial, you just have to set up the bluetooth properly. Also on your BB refresh your BT service list for the connection with the PC. You have to be paired with the pc but don't connect to the pc first, connect via mobimouse.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Bluetooth setup is complicated. You have to create a com port for it on your computer. Read the documentation. There is nothing special to do to use the trial, you just have to set up the bluetooth properly. Also on your BB refresh your BT service list for the connection with the PC. You have to be paired with the pc but don't connect to the pc first, connect via mobimouse.
    You mean I have to read the "manual!!!" I haven't had to do that in a LONG time - I'll try but don't hold your breath - I hate to read instructions. :d

USB is the easiest, no setup required. That will at least show you how it works, then you can decide if it's worth reading the manual
    Twitter? My Apps List

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    this is neat. I am typing via my BB.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    this is neat. I am typing via my BB.
    Good goin' Cowboy. I got interrupted and still haven't set it up yet. Hopefully later this afternoon.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I gotta give this another try! Just don't know if I have to buy thru appworld to get the discount.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

I've given up for now. I never had so much trouble with BT and I just don't have the time or need for this. What should have been a simple installation turned into laptop hell.

For the record, it's not even MobiMouse's problem - it's me and my uncooperative laptops, both of them!

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    wow...this seems really cool....gonna give it a try now and byu the way great review azstar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast