Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ok not sure which is more accurate, but there are two articles just came out ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Review: iPhone - can it replace BB? (lotsa pics)

Advertisement

ok not sure which is more accurate, but there are two articles just came out this afternoon talking about the processor in the iPhone. Either way it's more understandable why it cost so much now.

One report is the Arm 620mhz, the other is a Samsung S3C6400 at 667mhz
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/i...nd-620mhz-arm/
    http://www.gearlog.com/2007/07/iphon...msung_s3c6.php
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

drjman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C49B7

Don't mean to hijack the thread, here, but rather than starting a new one, my thoughts would seem more appropriate here--I've been collecting notes for this forum since I fired up the iPhone.

Ok. I'm of the Mac/BB camp. I'm on my third BB (8700, 8800-still have but don't use, and 8100-love, love, love). I said for weeks I prolly wouldn't need an iPhone given the BB 8100 fits the bill so incredibly well.

But I caved to the hype and the pressure thinking "I can return it," or sell it on ebay...plus--my boss sprung for it. So why the heck not? I'm already on AT&T, family plan (2 phone numbers already).

Here are my thoughts after 48 hours with this device, mostly in comparison to the Pearl, which you'd have to pry from my cold dead fingers.

By the way, I showed up at my local store at 6:45pm, waited in line for about 20 min, and had no issues picking up an 8 GB iPhone. Tried to talk them into selling me 2, but to no avail. Interestingly, and this is not a slam on AT&T workers, they really didn't know much about the product, and they said as much.

Beautiful. Sexy, sleek. Feels good in the hand. But definitely more heft than the Pearl, and there is the feeling that it could be dropped. It's pretty smooth. Smudges--eh...big deal. Not too worried about scratching the glass (pretty high on the hardness scale), but I am worried about breaking it, or God forbid...sitting on it. I'm not really the belt-holster type.

In order to go "back" for most things, you've gotta go back all the way to the main menu.

No easy way I've seen to lock the screen, except to set the time out--1 min, 5 min, etc.

The only customizable wallpaper is possible is from the pictures from the photo album. There are some nice presets, classic works, the usual Apple backgrounds, etc. But the only place I see wallpaper used in when the phone screen locks, see above. This sort of thing is not a deal breaker for me, but if you're really into customization, there's not much that distinguishes your phone from others'.

I had no trouble activating, but I did call customer service to make sure I still had my "family plan" active and to switch phone numbers. It was pretty easy.

The syncing with iTunes has been a little buggy for me. First, I had to download v7.3. I've had some issues with getting my computer to recognize when the iPhone is plugged in. Now this might have to do with my non-Intel Core Duo box that has all my tunes on it, I don't know. But I've tried every connection sequence I could think of to get iTunes to recognize the phone and it's a little inconsistent. Once it even wiped the phone (no big deal, since I had just sync'd it for the first time a couple hours earlier), resetting to defaults. Would've been a little irritating if I had added a bunch of contacts/calendar items to the phone and hadn't sync'd yet.

The keyboard issues have been well-documented. I'd say not as bad as some have experienced, not as easy as the BB Pearl, either though. I have thin fingers. The hardest thing getting used to is that it is really a two-handed device. Would be really hard to do emails or texts while driving (not that I ever do that of course!).

There doesn't seem to be a way to save emails as with BB. There's also no way I've found to search emails. BB has a powerful search tool. The email is not "push." Basically email update is activated when you wake it. No flashing indicator that you have new mail. Also to get a copy of your SENT emails, you've gotta cc: yourself--and there is an option for this. As we all know on BB, you've got an automatic copy of all your SENT emails. Maybe not the biggest deal for some, but kinda big for me.

Word, Excel, and PDF files render beautifully, as do HTML emails. Email appearance is as slick as on the mac.

I haven't made a lot of calls, but people said I sounded fine. I did drop a call, but the coverage area wasn't great on either end at the time.

I'm not aware of any third party apps to add-on at this time, although I understand they are in the works.

Thoughts on the iPod function--8 GB is not that much for video and music, considering video iPods are now up to 80 GB. I loaded my favorite playlists, artists and podcasts--NO video, plus a loooong book (The Fountainhead), and a couple books on cosmos/physics, and I've only got about 500MB left.

YouTube is pretty cool, but the whole library isn't accessible yet.

The options for toggling on/off are pretty limited, considering the mac has a lot of options and functionality within apps.

Contacts scroll pretty easily and it's super easy to set up and access. I haven't seen a speed-dial function yet. Unfortunately there's no way to search contacts (that I've seen). Huh? Mainly it's done by punching a letter on the right (A-Z listed vertically) and then scrolling within the contacts under "C" (or whatever). Not the most efficient way, IMO. Also in BB I can search by going to the phone, and start typing letters and get an ever-shorter list of the contacts available. The iPhone's numbers are a standard keypad (1, 2-ABC, 3-DEF, etc.). So at least I could look up 1-800-Wachovia on the iPhone, which you can't do on the BB, due to the QWERTY keyboard....an ongoing pet-peeve of mine.

It's got WiFi which is good at home for everything except the phone function. On BB, I've never really had a lot of issues with EDGE, mainly cause I realize it's not primarily a web browsing device. This thing is billed as a web device, so there's a gap between EDGE and WiFi (when available, with password)...it's called 3G.

It's also sync'd with USB 2.0. Again, huh?!!!??? Why not Firewire like everything else Mac? I'm sure there's some limitation against it, but still.

No car charger. Argh. There was one for $20 at the store, but I already have a USB car charger--must not be 2.0 cause it don't work.

No case or holster (even though I'm not a fan of belt hosters).

Internet (via WiFi) works great. A little difficulty trying to get the screen to enlarge...sometimes it took me on a link down a rabbit hole....

The battery life is pretty short--about 36 hours of heavy use--but not much phone use--mainly left the WiFi radio on the whole time, and did a good bit of email, and internet.

My impression is that this is a technological breakthrough and a beautiful device. The functionality for many people features a lot of things they haven't yet seen. But it's more of a lifestyle device in my opinion, where the BB is more of a serious workhorse with tried and true features that make it far more useable for business and serious email needs.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by drjman
    Don't mean to hijack the thread...
    But I caved to the hype and the pressure thinking "I can return it," or sell it on ebay...
    lol that was my exact thoughts too - and you're not hijacking, it's great to see more opinion of this device and comparison to the BB.

No easy way I've seen to lock the screen, except to set the time out--1 min, 5 min, etc.
    you can hit the top right button for "sleep" and it will lock the device.
    The syncing with iTunes has been a little buggy for me. First, I had to download v7.3. I've had some issues with getting my computer to recognize when the iPhone is plugged in.
    I think we had the same issue. I have a USB hub that was hit and miss, but when I plug the iPhone directly into my MacBook it works fine. iTunes also wiped my stuff, so it's not as user-friendly as iTunes was with the iPod nano I have.
    There doesn't seem to be a way to save emails as with BB. There's also no way I've found to search emails. BB has a powerful search tool. The email is not "push." Basically email update is activated when you wake it. No flashing indicator that you have new mail. Also to get a copy of your SENT emails, you've gotta cc: yourself--and there is an option for this. As we all know on BB, you've got an automatic copy of all your SENT emails.
    do you mean when you send it from the iPhone or from say the webmail site of an account (like gmail/hotmail). When i send from my iPhone they store on the iPhone under sent no problem. When in Mail, the upper left corner you will see it say your email address with an arrow. Hit that and it will show you the folders you have set for that account, if you have more than one account configured you will also see above the folders "Accounts" with a left facing arrow
    YouTube is pretty cool, but the whole library isn't accessible yet.
    True, disappointing, but hopefully with these rumored updates coming they will include the flash for Safari so we can do the regular page.
    I haven't seen a speed-dial function yet. Unfortunately there's no way to search contacts (that I've seen).
    Home screen / Phone / Favorites (bottom left corner), then hit the + key to add the contact(s) you wish... pretty nice actually
    The iPhone's numbers are a standard keypad (1, 2-ABC, 3-DEF, etc.). So at least I could look up 1-800-Wachovia on the iPhone, which you can't do on the BB
    you probably know, but you can hold down the ALT key while you hit the letters you need (for WACHOVIA for example) and the BB will convert that to the numbers.
    It's also sync'd with USB 2.0. Again, huh?!!!??? Why not Firewire like everything else Mac?
    The only reason I could guess is because it is going to be used by MANY Windows customers which may or may not have FireWire on their desktops/laptops (you know how some people don't like to upgrade their computers lol)
    No car charger. Argh. There was one for $20 at the store, but I already have a USB car charger--must not be 2.0 cause it don't work.
    yeah that does bite, but it can use the ones from your iPod if you have one (or eBay for one like $5, maybe even Walmart, usually like $10).
    A little difficulty trying to get the screen to enlarge...sometimes it took me on a link down a rabbit hole....
    LOL
    just make sure you don't try to do it too quickly or it might think you were tapping.. do the un-pinch thing (it's still weird to me haha)
    As for battery, mine is actually holding up really well. it is reporting Usage - 4 hours 6 minutes Standby time used 26 hours and still around 80% (that was with watching videos for around 60 minutes last night from the YouTube app.

But again thanks for the open-minded report

PIN/ID
    204C49B7

Thanks!

I guess I still haven't used it enough--only a few phone calls, and it seemed to look nice when a call was coming in--I was really careful, didn't want to hit the wrong button.

I guess I haven't sent any emails from it yet? I just noticed the cc: thing in the general preferences app.

I did load some "faves" in the phone, but I guess I was more used to just punching a number.

I noticed when I logged into YouTube it wouldn't play--I guessed it was the lack of flash.

I'll try it with my MacBook Pro for syncing--but I really don't have tunes loaded on there. I think you're right--I read somewhere that all the USB ports may not be high-speed on my desktop iMac--which is a weird thought to me--I guess system profiler might tell me which, or just try all of them.

Funny thing about using my current iPod car charger--I use an aftermarket Pioneer tuner (has iPod, XM, disc, etc)--that has a connector in the console. I plugged the phone into it just to see and I got a message saying the tuner didn't recognize the device. It also didn't charge. So I guess I get yet another USB car charger. Dang.

I also want a case of some sort. I 'fraid I'm gonna drop this thing.....

I'm really just mildly disappointed I think because the Pearl does pretty much everything I need--and I'm addicted (for better or worse) to push email.

Thanks a lot for the tips (and the BB Pearl tip about the dialing alphabetical phone numbers....there's a number of those for restaurants here in Charleston!).

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Thanks!

I noticed when I logged into YouTube it wouldn't play--I guessed it was the lack of flash.

I also want a case of some sort. I 'fraid I'm gonna drop this thing.....

I'm really just mildly disappointed I think because the Pearl does pretty much everything I need--and I'm addicted (for better or worse) to push email.

Thanks a lot for the tips (and the BB Pearl tip about the dialing alphabetical phone numbers....there's a number of those for restaurants here in Charleston!).
    Completely hear ya, I'm torn between this cool new toy and the Curve which I do love (miss BBM and real keyboard). As for dropping it, I wonder if they have any skins for the iPhone yet like they do for the iPod nano (really thick was awesome - it bounced like a rubber ball hahaha)

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Great read!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

prodigee no está en línea Stack level 2

i used to have a nokia 7710. using that phone while driving is a hazard. i like my keys that i can "feel". i'm content with my nokia n80 & blackberry 8100.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

No Discount...NO WAY!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Well.. here's my 2 cents..

My boss got one on Friday and let me play with it a little today.. I obviously didn't use it as heavily as some of you people that went out and bought one, but it was enough for me to decide that I'm content with my blackberry...

If it was an iPod it would be awesome - throw in some sort of 80+ GB drive, leave off the phone features and I'd be sold.

The screen looks great - browsing the internet is very nice.. BUT - with that being said, I'm quite content with the web access I have via the BB (Mobile browser and Y! Go) - I'm OK using WAP pages.. Yes, a full browser would be sweet, but thats not a selling point to me.

Mail is nice - I'm a Mac user and have a .mac account so it would work pretty seamlessly for me. My mail account for work is imap so I could configure that too. I like the mail interface of the BB better though..

The iPod features are very cool, no debating that - but 8GB isn't enough for me to use that to replace my 60GB iPod (which is too small for me).

Overall, I was impressed w/ the iPhone - more so than I thought I'd be - and if I didn't have a Blackberry for the last 2+ years and was only using a 'regular' phone, then yeah, I'd be tempted - but its just not enough to sway me from the Pearl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

I think everything about the iphone sounds great except for a few things.

1) it is bloody linked to itunes.
    2) you are stuck in apple hell.

I would love an iphone, without itunes and the whole apple universe.. you know... like the rest of the free and open pc world?

Form factor... features... interface... awesome... in ways this phone is more then just sim locked.

PIN/ID
    204C49B7

After a couple days I'm a bit more comfortable with the keyboard but I still find I avoid long missives in favor of the BB.

EDGE is slow and I drop in an out of coverage. Doesn't feel so with BB.

Still I'm warming to the device. It is sexy if you care about that sort of thing.

I noticed an option in the File menu of iTunes "download music from iPod" and I didn't recall that being there. Foretells OTA iTunes music purchases? I thought iPod had to be enabled in disc mode to to do that sort of thing? Hmmmm ....
    Last edited by drjman; 07-03-2007 at 12:28 PM.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

After a couple days I'm a bit more comfortable with the keyboard but I still find I avoid long missives in favor of the BB.

EDGE is slow and I drop in an out of coverage. Doesn't feel so with BB.

Still I'm warming to the device. It is sexy if you care about that sort of thing.

I noticed an option in the File menu of iTunes "download music from iPod" and I didn't recall that being there. Foretells OTA iTunes music purchases? I thought iPod had to be enabled in disc mode to to do that sort of thing? Hmmmm ....
    It was there before and its not as direct as it sounds.. Lets say you purchased a song from the iTunes Music store (on your PC/Mac) and then transferred it to your iPod.. then you go to your friends house and want to hear it on their PC/Mac - you'd plug in the iPod go to "Transfer purchases from iPod" (Mac) or "Download music from iPod" (PC) and authorize the music to play on that PC...

It is kinda misleading and does lead to lots of optimism about wireless downloads!
    Last edited by hls811; 07-03-2007 at 12:48 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

PIN/ID
    204C49B7

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~actually you're right that's what I have too...I was just doing it from memory which is generally a bad idea....btw that is mac os x --dont know what they have on windoze.

Btw I just got my alpine integrated tuner/disc/xm/iPod cranking...just leave off Airplane mode and don't believe it when it says unsupported--in airplane mode it just charges. Ahhhh Snow Patrol!...now if I can just remember the factory pascodes for my Parrot handsfree and my jawbone.....

This just got better....

But notice how I'm still hanging out and posting this crap in THE BB forum!

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

this is a great read, im still not feeling the plans. the phone itself is ok, seems a little over hyped but ok. the plans are perfect for current cingy users, but for a tmob user it could be kind of steep, especially for a bb user. we only pay 19.99 for unlim web, and unlim txt for 9.98. imo my data plan is waaaaay cheaper or more functional at this point (minus wifi from the picture)

wordthenerd Guest

Man, f--- the iPhone.

Just f--- it.

I'm not gonna bother listing all the reasons that fuel my hatred for the device as I'm sure that you've already been beaten in the head with review after review; announcement after announcement [That's considering that you actually give the slightest damn about that crap in the first place.]

But honestly, what kind of grown *** individual drops six large on a mobile device that is clearly marketed at idiots? That's the best I can put it. If you bought one or had true aspirations to do such-- you're an idiot. Plain and simple. You're not smart and neither is your phone.

You may request further elaboration per response to this post.

Have a nice day.

Posted via my Blackberry
    Last edited by wordthenerd; 07-04-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast