Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

OK first I need to say sorry for some of the pics not being great. ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Review: iPhone - can it replace BB? (lotsa pics)

Advertisement

OK first I need to say sorry for some of the pics not being great. It's hard to get pictures from the BlackBerry's camera of the iPhone's screen. For now I am just starting off with many pics since people wanted to see them. I'll give more review later as I use it more.

I went to the Apple store this afternoon just to look at it. Well playing with the live demo's they had setup I told the rep to grab one for me (literally took less than 5 minutes, shocked me, no wait at all).

Here we start with bringing it home, and unboxing. Took me a moment of hesitation because there is a 10% restocking fee, so had to think about it a bit

Notice in the pic above, they actually include a nice soft cloth to wipe the screen with (right of iPhone)

Have pretty much all you need besides a case/holster - has headset, wall adapter, usb cable, dock, cloth for the screen (no manual only a very short guide of what it can do, not how to do it lol)

below - first time it powers up (still didn't look to see how you reboot it since you can't pull the battery)

It says "Activate iPhone - connect to iTunes" and on the bottom "slide for emergency"

BELOW - the real down side to it, you lose any corporate discounts you might have on your account (such as 19% military)... that hurts.

Yep - you see this right, only 3.49GB free when you turn it on. The OS takes up a bit. Even a 4GB SD card gives you 3.79 free. After a few minutes the iPhone lit up and said "iPhone is activated".

Under settings it had an interesting section - wifi

There is also a "usage" screen, kind of like the BlackBerry's uptime when you do ALT+EACE. It tells you how long since the last recharge though. BELOW.

OK now to the cooler features:
    Visual Voicemail - you can scroll to the message you wish to listen to. No more charges for checking voice mail

When having a conversation via Text Messages (SMS), it threads them just like iChat does conversations. Very nice.

It supports only a few mail services out of the box, and no push (at least at this time... perhaps when they release the software update to include MS Exchange):

The Safari web browser has tabbed browsing, very nice. It also supports JavaScript, plug-ins, and block pop-ups.

One other thing I saw that was really neat, when you are in iCal and create an event, when it asks for the start/end times it gives you this roller wheel with the times/dates like an old date stamper or something.

OK, quick review. The email is very nice, full HTML. But no push mail. It also requires you to keep (at least) the 25 most recent messages in the inbox. If you try to delete them all, it downloads more from the server (even though you set gmail to "only from now on".

The iPod feature, just like any modern iPod video or iPod nano. It does not play 3gp files like the Curve does, but supports M-PEG4. I'll try to let you know more about the video part of it later - was still converting my movie to upload to it. On that note, I do not like how iTunes handles the iPhone compared to using my iPod nano. With the nano I could just tell it not to manage my device and drag/drop single MP3's as I wish. Could even play them on the computer when the iPod nano was connected. The iPhone doesn't let you do that.

The phone doesn't sound too bad, I was actually surprised (when I had the courage to rip the plastic off that came with it lol). As I am sure many have read, you cannot switch out SIM cards.. that is because this thing seems to have it built right in. I couldn't put my own in there. The sucks since it deactivated the BlackBerry and it's SIM. Like I said above you also lose any discounts you might get from your employer.

The best part of it all, it syncs with the Mac perfectly (sorry BlackBerry) lol. It's definately not a BlackBerry replacement, but it is VERY impressive. Let me know what questions you might have for me to try out, or any pics you wanna see. I'll play with the camera later, it's 2mp like the Curve, but no flash

Cliff

edit: another cool thing. you can use Safari, go to Apple.com and watch the movie trailers on the iPhone... so those nights you are out and decide to see a movie but don't know what they are... pull up the trailer right there on your phone.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 06-30-2007 at 09:13 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180

Re: Review: iPhone - can it replace BB? (lotsa pics)

wow ... congrats on the acquisition. Nice review -- thanks for the nice comparison.

i love my Pearl .. and can't wait til the Pearl or the Curves' older sibling comes out in September.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    OK first I need to say sorry for some of the pics not being great. It's hard to get pictures from the BlackBerry's camera of the iPhone's screen. For now I am just starting off with many pics since people wanted to see them. I'll give more review later as I use it more.

I went to the Apple store this afternoon just to look at it. Well playing with the live demo's they had setup I told the rep to grab one for me (literally took less than 5 minutes, shocked me, no wait at all).

Here we start with bringing it home, and unboxing. Took me a moment of hesitation because there is a 10% restocking fee, so had to think about it a bit

Have pretty much all you need besides a case/holster - has headset, wall adapter, usb cable, dock, cloth for the screen (no manual only a very short guide of what it can do, not how to do it lol)

It says "Activate iPhone - connect to iTunes" and on the bottom "slide for emergency"

Yep - you see this right, only 3.49GB free when you turn it on. The OS takes up a bit. Even a 4GB SD card gives you 3.79 free. After a few minutes the iPhone lit up and said "iPhone is activated".

Under settings it had an interesting section - wifi

There is also a "usage" screen, kind of like the BlackBerry's uptime when you do ALT+EACE. It tells you how long since the last recharge though. BELOW.

OK now to the cooler features:
    Visual Voicemail - you can scroll to the message you wish to listen to. No more charges for checking voice mail

When having a conversation via Text Messages (SMS), it threads them just like iChat does conversations. Very nice.

It supports only a few mail services out of the box, and no push (at least at this time... perhaps when they release the software update to include MS Exchange):

The Safari web browser has tabbed browsing, very nice. It also supports JavaScript, plug-ins, and block pop-ups.

One other thing I saw that was really neat, when you are in iCal and create an event, when it asks for the start/end times it gives you this roller wheel with the times/dates like an old date stamper or something.

OK, quick review. The email is very nice, full HTML. But no push mail. It also requires you to keep (at least) the 25 most recent messages in the inbox. If you try to delete them all, it downloads more from the server (even though you set gmail to "only from now on".

The iPod feature, just like any modern iPod video or iPod nano. It does not play 3gp files like the Curve does, but supports M-PEG4. I'll try to let you know more about the video part of it later - was still converting my movie to upload to it. On that note, I do not like how iTunes handles the iPhone compared to using my iPod nano. With the nano I could just tell it not to manage my device and drag/drop single MP3's as I wish. Could even play them on the computer when the iPod nano was connected. The iPhone doesn't let you do that.

The phone doesn't sound too bad, I was actually surprised (when I had the courage to rip the plastic off that came with it lol). As I am sure many have read, you cannot switch out SIM cards.. that is because this thing seems to have it built right in. I couldn't put my own in there. The sucks since it deactivated the BlackBerry and it's SIM. Like I said above you also lose any discounts you might get from your employer.

The best part of it all, it syncs with the Mac perfectly (sorry BlackBerry) lol. It's definately not a BlackBerry replacement, but it is VERY impressive. Let me know what questions you might have for me to try out, or any pics you wanna see. I'll play with the camera later, it's 2mp like the Curve, but no flash

Cliff

edit: another cool thing. you can use Safari, go to Apple.com and watch the movie trailers on the iPhone... so those nights you are out and decide to see a movie but don't know what they are... pull up the trailer right there on your phone.
    Got mine, also. Very impressed with it so far. I love the fact that it will sync with my Mac and with Outlook on my work PC.

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    holy moly 500-600 bux..................

kre8berry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I am 100% Mac based and I don't think I go iPhone just yet. Too many complaints of typing issues and yes the cost is a bit up there. Not to mention service plans. Just yesterday a guy was on radio talking on two phones. Blackberry and iPhone. IPhone dropped call like 5 times. Hmm. Don't get me wrong heat phone concept. And as I said I amm 4 macs but my blackberry syncs just fine.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by Akakios
    They're going for double that on ebay! lol unreal. I'm glad Verizon didn't pick this up, my daughter wants one bad, and I just got her the LG EnV
    I don't get why they are going for that much on eBay - they are still available in stores and you can order them online... Who'd pay eBay prices??

(Ok, I guess if you live outside of the US and can't get one and must have it, I understand, but I hope no one in the US is actually buying these things off of eBay already...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by LLc0oLJ
    holy moly 500-600 bux..................
    ehh, the BB Curve on eBay is going for 350-475$ and mine was unlocked from Cingular, and has a 4gb SanDisk card. So won't cost too much in the near future with that off-set.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by kre8berry
    I am 100% Mac based and I don't think I go iPhone just yet. Too many complaints of typing issues and yes the cost is a bit up there. Not to mention service plans. Just yesterday a guy was on radio talking on two phones. Blackberry and iPhone. IPhone dropped call like 5 times. Hmm...
    I actually haven't had any issue yet with the virtual keyboard... *knock on wood*. When I mistyped a few words it realized that I meant to hit the key next to it and corrected it for me, very nice.

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

Great review, but I still wouldn't replace my 7100i
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

jonbost no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FA03C0

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there have been mixed reviews on the virtual keyboard. I used one today and honestly with how fast I type on the bb I was having problems all over where is was not registering the buttons that I was pressing. This is a major flaw for me.

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Wow Cliff great review. Thanks for sharing (i'll still stick w/ my BB)

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks Cliff !!! Is it true only HandsFree and Headset are the only bluetooth profiles? No DUN?
    Last edited by rweckhoff; 06-30-2007 at 11:12 PM.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

hmmmmmmm I think I might need one! is there a way to get it to work on tmo?

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

Seriously... the Iphone seems sweet, I messed around with one for about an hour (yeah, i am a loser). I dont understand why everyone is complaining about the keyboard. It JUST came out yesterday and the tutorials said start slow with one finger and move up to the thumbs. And that after a week, you should be used to it. I completely believe that, because thats how long it took me to get to adjust to the suretype on my pearl. So I guess I am taking all the keyboard issues with a grain of salt considering it JUST came out and even the APPLE tutorials say it will get some getting used too. The video function just seems sweet and the screen is amazing in its clarity. If push email isnt a must for you, you can save $360 over the BIS in 2 years which make the phone that much more worth it IMO ($35 for BIS and 200 texts versus Iphones 20$ for internet and 200 texts).

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Very nice review Cliffr. Thank you. Looks like a very sweet phone. Hmmmm.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast