Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GVdialer is phenomenal. There... I said it. Now let me tell you why. GVdialer is ... Smartphone Reviews forum

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer

Review: GVdialer available on BlackBerry, iPhone, WM, Nokia & Android.

Advertisement

GVdialer is phenomenal. There... I said it. Now let me tell you why. GVdialer is an application made by that harnessing the power of Google Voice for your BlackBerry, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Nokia and Android smartphones.

I stumbled on a thread in a BlackBerry related thread from user 3CISSB in a related BB forum detailing how he was using an app called GVdialer to use Google Voice on his BlackBerry device.

To appreciate GVdialer, you have to appreciate Google Voice, the ambitious foray by Google into the VOIP (voice over internet protocol) wars. What Google wants, Google tends to get, and they wanted GrandCentral. Google Voice is the rebranded, improved product of the acquisition. Google Voice purports to give adopters the last number they'll ever need; a number that can survive changes to service providers AND relocation.

So, the question remains: how can a Google Voice user harness the features of Google Voice on a handheld? On a web-enabled phone, one can call from the Google Voice Mobile portal, but the dialing process can be clunky. This is where GVdialer fills the gap.

GVdialer automates the dialing process for BlackBerry users. It accesses the native address book, and gives the user the option of calling out to a contact with his/her GV number, all done without having to access the web browser.

It installed with a relatively small footprint. What I liked was the fact that this application does not seem to run continuously in the background. After OTA install, you can set up GVdialer and give it instructions as to how you want calls handled. You can have it connect and "call out" via Google Voice all the time, never used, or you can choose to have it prompt. With ask/prompt toggled, you get a pop-up that appears every time you launch a call, asking if you want a regular call or a Google Voice call.

When you make a Google Voice call, GVdialer connects you to your contact by dialing both numbers. This is a vast improvement on the "regular" method. The ability to access the built-in address book is HUGE; GVdialer gives users a way to access contacts that do not exist in the history of Google Voice. This means if you had never called a contact before via Google Voice, you couldn't call him/her without memorizing the number to call. GVdialer integrates this important ability.

GVdialer handles SMS too. It uses a unique access number to send messages to your contacts. Return messages can be accessed from the Google Voice site, or on your device based on the options you select within Google Voice.

As an added bonus, think of the savings that can be had when your Google Voice number is used as a Favorite-type contact on a calling plan. The potential is endless!

All in all, this great application allows you to really exploit the advantages of having a Google Voice number with customizable interface and seamless call integration.

You can try out GVdialer by picking it up at the GVdialer website. It has a 30-day trial, and I feel it is a must have for anyone who uses Google Voice in any capacity.

I'd be remiss if I did not point out that GVdialer is available for iPhone, WinMo, Nokia and Android.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 07-27-2009 at 12:23 AM.

conker no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249E86E3
    There is no reason to buy this. Google released their own native version, that is much more fully featured:

http://www.google.com/mobile/product...html#p=default
    NOT posted from an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by conker View Post
    There is no reason to buy this. Google released their own native version, that is much more fully featured:

Ah, but then my nice review would be for naught...

Thanks for opening the useful discussion.

There are a few ways that GVdialer, IMHO, is superior to the official app you have referenced (for BlackBerry OS at least).

One, to get free calls, the official app takes two Faves/F&F slots for routing numbers, where GVdialer takes one (the GV number itself).

Two, the BB port is stripped down. For some reason, it does not integrate the BB phonebook adequately. From a thread elsewhere:The Blackberry app is less integrated, accessing only the native address book, and uses its own dialer. Users can’t simply go into the call log and return missed calls. They need to go back to the address book and select Google Voice to make the call.

Three, GVdialer has an option that gives you the ability to call out all the time, when asked, or never via Google Voice. I can use the native dialer, select a number from my address book, and when I call, with the way I have mine toggled, it asks me if I want to make a "direct" call or a GV voice call. The usability in that area alone is a serious trump card.

Four, the official app seems to create a battery drain effect (some have reported). There is also an issue with memory, since to really use the official app completely, I believe you have to have it running in the background.

Try them out head-to-head. I was one of the first to try out the Google Voice official app, even before I finished this review. I am sure you'll agree that GVdialer is better, even if you decide not to spring for it.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Wow man! That sounds pretty cool!
    I'd probably pick it up if I made more VOIP calls. Thanks for that awesome write up!!
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Great write-up, Tre. Thanks for sharing!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Very imformative-great job.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

My pleasure guys...

Malluco no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thancks to share this ^^
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.239 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by conker View Post

The google app does NOT work the same way. Biggest problem: it does not use your phone number to bridge the call. Thus, if you have tmobile and faves5, it will not register as your google phone #, but as some random phone number.

PIN/ID
    249E86E3
    Wow, sounds like a bunch of GVDialer developers are posting in here.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Not really, at least for myself, I am just simply looking at the two apps side by side and measuring the good and bad.
    What is the point of the google app if I can't use it correctly for the *one* thing that I need it for? (and the one thing it's good for).

If you go through the google voice forms, I've posted a comment in each of them about this bug, and it seems that no one else has actually utilized the app to find it. Everyone comments on how great it is, because they watch the google video on "what it does" and say "ohh great!". Now the "bug" could be on purpose so that carriers wouldn't frown, but if I can do the same from my web browser, why do I have to spend extra time in order to make a call, rather than just launch it from a program on my phone quickly?
    that's my only complaint! Plus, it's still a first release. I am sure the google voice app will be much better in the long run.

PIN/ID
    249E86E3
    Occasionally, why do both seem to fail dialing out? Actually, more often than not.

Ventz, you know you are a GVdialer is a developer... admit it. I must be to...

In news related to the review, Apple has reportedly removed GVdialer for iPhone from the app store, saying it duplicated AT&T features. Go figure...

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Haha...you mean it dialed out? Pfff...that is the most B/S excuse ever. Yea, I wouldn't mind the native google app if it used my own phone number to bridge the calls. Very frustrating.

It turns out though that I can dial my google # and from there dial any number I want ... so same effect reached.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I've been using the dialer for a few weeks now and in the last 3-4 days I've gotten random errors saying the app has crashed and I need to run the Setup Wizard again. Anyone else found this?
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast