Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Have you ever found yourself in a conversation about news or local headlines only to ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Review: FreeRange Mobile RSS Reader -- Free Download

Advertisement

Have you ever found yourself in a conversation about news or local headlines only to find out you are out of the loop on what's happening in the world? Too busy to watch the news on TV? You always have your Blackberry with you, right? With FreeRange FreeReader, you can get local/world news, weather, check stock market, look for a job and actually have a feed dedicated to 'keywords' -- powered by either google or yahoo search.

(homepage)

(settings)

(display -- I love the fact that you can customize this)

(choose how to add your feed)

(news keyword match .. LOVE this. Guess what keyword I used? )

(search for jobs using keywords)

(results from "keyword" seach on google)

(PinStack News Feed)

I love reading news, be it local, world or entertainment on my Blackberry (usually during spots of downtime). I even send articles to people when I think they may be interested. I never watch the news on TV and newspapers are a thing of the past, right?

Key features include:
    - Create custom news feeds based on keywords
    - Easily search for and add feeds
    - Web-based configuration
    - Headlines and summaries are cached by our service, ready for download when you are
    - Navigate using the arrow keys on your phone
    - Organize your news sources into categories or subcategories
    - Get news based on topics of interest-company, product, place or person

OTA download here
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 02-24-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: updated ota link again .. sorry

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review, I'll have to try this out. How is it on memory? I'm sure it depends on how many feeds, but I know some of the other apps of this type can be real memory eaters, some versions better than others. Just wondering how this one compares.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    ATA
    no noticeable difference. course, i've been running to readers simultaneously too

will report back in a week or so with details on battery/memory life.

the downside to this is that it is limited to 10 feeds for the free version (that's about what i normally run ... too many feeds = too many duplicate stories)

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    It looks a lot like NewsGator Go, probably because it powers NewsGator, which is free

mrvtx no está en línea Stack level 2
    How do you think it compares to Viigo (or any other ones you use)?

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier87 View Post
    It looks a lot like NewsGator Go, probably because it powers NewsGator, which is free
    yep!! and also the new WSJ reader

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvtx View Post
    How do you think it compares to Viigo (or any other ones you use)?
    Up until now, I have used viigo exclusively (I haven't ever even tried another RSS reader). I like the ability to add feeds based on keywords and the fact that you can customize the view. Too soon to make any other judgements I'll try and update the thread next week with more information as I use it more.

ncswerve no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3070C15D
    Thanks cherri. I'm downloading now and will give it a shot. I used viigo for a little bit but the alerts weren't notifying me. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I lilked viigo but also wanted to be alerted to new items. Any thought?

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    WOW

Very Nice, Good looking out Ma
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Sounds cool. So far I can't do without my viigo. I can only assume that is very similar to it, correct? Let me know how it works out for you. Thanks! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by ncswerve View Post
    Thanks cherri. I'm downloading now and will give it a shot. I used viigo for a little bit but the alerts weren't notifying me. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I lilked viigo but also wanted to be alerted to new items. Any thought?
    hmm..not sure on the alerts. mine work just fine, running 4.5.0.55 TIM OS. you are running the tango beta, right?

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    This is by far my favorite reader. Super lightweight on memory, only drawback could be the 10 feed limit, it isn't for me
    When you create your account here

https://freerangeinc.virtual.vps-hos...jsp/signup.jsp

In the website you can organize the order your feeds come up in your BB and rename them, you can even create folders, name them whatever and organize your feeds inside each folder.

The app itself in the device is surprisingly configurable, down to the way it opens the feeds you do want to learn more about, I like how quick the internal browser is.
    You can adjust settings for global tweaks and open properties on each feed to adjust things like if you want thumbnails on one but don't care for them on another.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    In my opinion, use NewsGator Go, which is completely free (without limitations). It is powered by FreeRange, and looks very similar. It is MUCH better on memory than any version of Viigo that I have used, although I have to say that Viigo Tango has an interesting layout... it just uses too much memory for me.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More
    I've used it in the past, even b4 Viigo went to Tango... didn't hold a candle to it then, and can't say much more for it now... of course, the feed limit (as others have noted) is the biggest drawback...

But, visually it isn't even close as well... as much news reading as I do from my Curve, (and likely more with Bold and 3G) FreeRange won't work for me.

Thx for the updates tho C2...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

mrvtx no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    Up until now, I have used viigo exclusively (I haven't ever even tried another RSS reader). I like the ability to add feeds based on keywords and the fact that you can customize the view. Too soon to make any other judgements I'll try and update the thread next week with more information as I use it more.
    Thanks - I'll keep an eye out

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast