Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

As many of you have already read, everyone who attended the BlackBerry Developer Conference this ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

REVIEW: "FlipBerry" BlackBerry Pearl 8220

Advertisement

As many of you have already read, everyone who attended the BlackBerry Developer Conference this week received a brand new device (or voucher for those who wanted a Bold or Storm .. since they haven't been released in the US yet ). My 'instant gratification syndrome' kicked in and I chose the new Pearl 8220.

I haven't used a Pearl (suretype), for more than two weeks (when I sent my Berry in to Colorware), since April of 2007 when I purchased my first QWERTY device, the 8300 from AT&T. I'll admit that after using QWERTY for over a year, the suretype devices do take some getting used to again. We will see how this one fares, as I could always go back to the Curve.

The outside of the phone reminds me of the original 8100; its shiny and a fingerprint magnet. I've already sent in a request to BestSkinsEver to get going on an 8220 skin. It would definately help on the fingerprint issue. The LED is round and quite larger than all other devices in the past. I can only guess that they made it so that it matches the flash on the other side of the camera lense -- symmetrical. There are four choices for the outside clock display (analog, digital, flip clock or LCD Digital).

inside screen/analog clock

If you are a theme builder like me, the outside screen is 100% customizable, with the ability to move elements around. (I am going to apolgize ahead of time for the glare on the screenshots)

As mentioned in previous posts, this device has a new charger/USB port. The side keys are a hard plastic (instead of chrome and/or rubber) with a 'mute' key on the top left for muting incoming calls (it does not send straight to vm, just mute).

You can preview new messages, calendar items, bbm messages, etc on the outside display. If you have multiple new messages, just use the volume up/down keys to scroll thru all of them in preview mode. (also see screenshots below)

Some new things I have noticed:
    New menu for moving apps into folders

New BBM smileys

Five new games; Word Mole, Texas Hold 'Em King 2, Klondike, Trooper Typing and Sudoku (on of my favs)

Two separate icons for media and music player (although you can get to the music thru media too)

The keys are going to be a little harder to get used to than I thought, but I like them. At a glance, they seem to be flat, but after running your fingertip over them, you can tell that they are raised just slightly in the middle. They do have a certain tension under them, so it is easy to miss a letter here and there when typing. The trackball is sunk which, IMO, is the best part of the design. (although I am probably going to regret having to take it apart to clean when that day comes)

One major issue I have noticed in the past two days is the signal. I can only hope that it is something with AT&T and not the device itself. My email and BBM seem to come in spurts, all at one time .. making me believe that its losing network connectivity. I will keep watch and hope that it gets better. I noticed the same thing on my curve the past few weeks, so I am going to continue to blame AT&T instead of RIM, for now

Lastly, a picture to compare the 8100 Pearl, the 8310 Curve and the 8220 Pearl

Last edited by cherrichiodo; 10-24-2008 at 02:26 AM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review. So shiny and new and pretty. I love the new smileys, those are awesome!

Good luck with the SureType, I've only had my 1st Qwerty since mid-June and don't think I could go back to the Pearl keyboard.

Keep us posted on how you like it in the next couple weeks.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Lindararith no está en línea Stack level 3
    Nice screen shot. I never really got to play around with it when I went to my local T-Mobile store. Maybe next time.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Nice review

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Great Review!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Very nice review. But let me get this straight. Everyone that attended got a new blackberry of their choice (or voucher)!?! Insane!
    "Who Dares Wins"

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!
    Wow cherri, your review actually...made this device seem more appealing..if that makes any sense to anyone but me...lmao!

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by eazid View Post
    Very nice review. But let me get this straight. Everyone that attended got a new blackberry of their choice (or voucher)!?! Insane!
    Yes..Bolds and Flips were on hand, Storms were given away as vouchers for after it's released.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Wow cherri, your review actually...made this device seem more appealing..if that makes any sense to anyone but me...lmao!
    Agreed. Although I personally don't care for the device.

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Yes..Bolds and Flips were on hand, Storms were given away as vouchers for after it's released.
    That's amazing. I wish I could have been involved.
    "Who Dares Wins"

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Great exposé, Cherri. I love your passion for anything Blackberry

Sparky1254 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Wowzers! I was pretty set to dump my 8100c Pearl last week when I actually
    got to put my fingers on the new VU. Now that I see the crystal clear pictures
    you placed out for us I'm rethinking. I've always been partial to Flips. The
    external display on THIS one is a real winner! Thanks for the preview!

Sparky, It's a New Day!

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80
    very nice reveiw C2, great pics!
    "Make It Count" R.I.P. Jay D ~ 6-25-05

tuteblack no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A972A9
    nice review, i like the new OS looks!!!

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    NIce, might drop by the T-MO store this weekend to get a first hand look at it!

ReccaKun no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E08FB0
    nice review.. wish i was there too ....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast