Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It was ready, then it wasn't... almost two weeks ago we were all waiting impatiently ... Smartphone Reviews forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Review: Facebook v1.6 for BlackBerry

Advertisement

It was ready, then it wasn't... almost two weeks ago we were all waiting impatiently for the much anticipated release of the latest version of Facebook, v1.6. Then, on the day it was to be launched, we were all hit from behind by a HUGE (but all too familiar) bus. It wasn't ready. It's not like we haven't seen that happen before, right?

After waiting, for what felt like months (ok, it was only one week, give or take three hours), its here in all its GLORY (clouds open up and let out sunlight from the Heavens). Much like the Facebook we all see on the web, similar to what seems to me the Twitter Status UI, Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you Facebook 1.6 for BlackBerry.

Setup
    The setup is quite like the previous version. You have the options of syncing the contacts (including images), calendar and BlackBerry messenger. With the contacts sync, the contacts on your BlackBerry are synced with the contacts on Facebook, including all the latest profile information, updated photos (be sure to read their mini "privacy statement" on syncing contacts). Syncing with the calander allows you to accept invitations sent to you on Facebook into your BlackBerry calendar. Finally, checking the box for BlackBerry Messenger allows you to be alerted of a new Facebook message while you are in BBM.

Options
    In the options menu, you get the choice again whether you want to sync your contacts, calendar or BlackBerry messenger. Scroll down and you also have a few more options to choose from including the ability to clear the Facebook cache and a link to look for updates.

Composing Messages
    Composing messages is very easy. Start typing the name of your contact and you get a drop-down menu of all your contacts in alphabetical order.

Pros: you will most likely never need to log back in from desktop ever again; revamped UI is AWESOME; seriously too many to list
    Cons: haven't found any yet
    Verdict: the developers over at FB really out-did themselves this time. this update should hold us over until the next major
    Download link: point your BlackBerry browser to mobile.blackberry.com (be sure to remove the www in the 'go to' field)

Check the attachments for more eye candy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    I love the app, but do have a con ~ I have not gotten any notifications to BB since download of this to my 8900.

I uninstalled/reinstalled and checked all notification settings and it still is not sending any fb notifications to BB.

Anybody else getting this?

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    So far so good for me since downloading it a few days ago. I haven't had any issues. Notifications come through fine. I really like what they did with the photo section.

jhtapia no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am not getting notifications either.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    I just got the notifications to work. Tried the uninstall/reinstall one more time and ran the setup wizard (in Options) and reset the email notification address.
    That did the trick

Try that jhtapia.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    This app is definitely a huge step up from previous versions. The only issue I have been having is that sometimes my notifications delete themselves after read them, other times they stick around for days until I delete them myself...weird

The addition of facebook chat would be nice at some point. But I am impressive with the improvements this version has.

Some have complained of huge memory leaks but I have not experienced that so far.

Thanks for the review C, I am jealous of how it looks on the big Storm screen vs my little 8330 curve screen
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I agree azstar I would like to see FB chat. Nice review cherri.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Nice review cherri, unfortunately still not working on 5.0

9of13 no está en línea Theme Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i dont need the facebook chat since its apart of me beejive account. Notifications come thru fine. My only con, still have to go to the web version to access note. HINT HINT! LOL
    For my theme blog, remember....
    Resistance Is Futile

nomer no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm having one or two issues with the new facebook. First, I don't get the notifications (I tried the uninstall / reinstall + running setup wizard and it didn't work). The second issue is that for some reason it doesn't allow me to change the checks on the set up (they are greyed). It doesn't allow me either to link my address book to my facebook friends. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomer View Post
    I'm having one or two issues with the new facebook. First, I don't get the notifications (I tried the uninstall / reinstall + running setup wizard and it didn't work). The second issue is that for some reason it doesn't allow me to change the checks on the set up (they are greyed). It doesn't allow me either to link my address book to my facebook friends. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
    Are you not getting notifications at all, or just not seeing them when you open the app? Also, are you on a BES? There was some discussion about those options beiing greyed out and it seemed to be BES related.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

nomer no está en línea Stack level 2
    I only got one notification since I installed the app. I am on BES, do you know if there's a thread for that?

Souljaslimm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A7DA4C
    Nice, downloading it now
    PIN: 24A7DA4C PSN: Souljaslimm Twitter: @soulja_slimm

amascoho12 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    311840cc
    Its been working fine here, notifications are fine. Occasionally it tweaks out when I try to comment on a status for a second but then its alright. I suspect that at times I rush it though. Thanc Cherri

suyup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Thanks Cherri for the post.

After uninstall my 1.5 version and installing 1.6, I love it so much....
    A lot of improvements from previous version.
    Can't find any flaws...

Keep up the great works FB crews!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast