Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verdict: Classic eReader features are still present Pros: Free, expansion card used Cons: Some teething ... Smartphone Reviews forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

REVIEW: eReader Pro for BlackBerry First Impressions

Advertisement

Verdict: Classic eReader features are still present
    Pros: Free, expansion card used
    Cons: Some teething problems
    URL: http://www.ereader.com/bb-beta.xjad (OTA) or www.ereader.com
    Price: $0
    Overall rating: 4/5

eReader Pro has been long awaited by many thousands of BlackBerry users and today it has finally arrived. It is available for the most popular models (BlackBerry Curve, Storm, Pearl, Bold, 7130, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8220, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i, 8703e, 8707, 8800, 8820, 8830, 8900, 9000, 9500, and 9530) and includes the ability to download your bookshelf to your device without the need of a desktop. You cannot buy books direct through the application, but the facility is available to do so via the mobile site (linked in the menus) and then you can head back to the application and download your purchase. That is the theory anyway…

It is very early days, hours even at this stage, but I could not log in to my account via my Curve 8900 and continually received invalid user name or password errors. I believe this to be a server issue because the same user and password works on a desktop and I occasionally receive other errors as well. This issue is similar to the problems encountered at the launch of eReader for iPhone so things should improve soon and we should all be able to grab our eReader and Fictionwise purchases via wireless soon.

epro2An example book is included in the application (Tarzan of the Apes) and it is pleasing to see the classic eReader simplicity brought to the BlackBerry platform. You can choose any of the fonts loaded on your device and also change the font sizes as required, but I would personally put the presentation up there with MobiPocket. The eReader application has the advantage over MobiPocket because there are droves of people who have left Palm OS and Windows Mobile and headed to BlackBerry and the iPhone, and thus a large customer base is already and waiting to buy more books. Being able to carry a large library in the palm of your hand is also an advantage, when the facility works properly.

To conclude, eReader on BlackBerry is as impressive as many of us wished it would be, and once the teething problems are sorted, we should have a new king of the BlackBerry eBook hill.
    Last edited by stmcgill; 03-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

lenchoirs no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have mobipocket reader on my 8310 which I like and use. Is it possible to download ereader pro so that I can compare the two or will this just confuse the issue?

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    Of course- they are completely seperate applications.
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

lenchoirs no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks, Shaun. I'm going to give it a try later today.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I may have to check this out
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    Definitely going to check this out... thanks for the info!

JoeyStyles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2448ED5B
    I like it a lot now I finally start reading more ofter, I don't want to carry books around instead ill carry my 8900 oh yeah
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I noticed this is powered by Fictionwise and B&N recently acquired Fictionwise, so this may come in handy afterall. There are a few books I can't get on the Kindle and this app may fill in the gap.

Thank you for the info.

UPDATE: Sure enough, I found a book through their site that is exclusive to them and created an account to download my first book. I love that I can read it from my phone or my laptop, should I want to download the app for that. Very, very nice.
    Last edited by goldengirl75; 03-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I like this app. Gotta sign up for an account though.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Manevitch no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a large collection of e-books on my computer, all in PDB format, and I can't move them to my eReader directory on my SD card - eReader gives me the error "Error synchronizing the book list with the filesystem" The same files, however, read just fine on the desktop version of eReader.

So, for me, maybe a score of 2/5

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    this looks pretty interesting
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I may mess around with this on the weekend. I love beta testing I wish I had a Storm, would be nice on that screen compared to my 8330 Curve

Thanks for the review Shaun and the heads up on what to expect!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Wonder if the wife would like this. . sounds like a neat app-note to self set reminder . . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I tried it on my Curve 8900 last night at about 30 minutes past midnight. First impression: I really like it. It has a lot of potential, but it's not "amazing" yet. I do like how it shows your bookshelf, and how you can download the books from it. That's a big convenience plus -- it beats having to manually transfer books. I wish you could change the color of the font and background (same as mobireader). I much prefer having a black background with a yellow/white text color (especially when reading at night in the dark) Also, the bookstore needs to be accessible from the application (same as mobireader). Having to go to the mobile site is just a little bit a pain. They need to add something "more ajaxy" which is quick. SPeaking about speed -- the only way I could truly conclude that this was a beta was by the speed of everything (loading, downloading, sign-in, etc...). I do like the prices however. They seem reasonable. I also like how they offer a descent amount of free eBooks. Overall, I really like it, and I think I will un-install mobireader in favor of this.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    One more addition -- I also like that eReader gives you the option to read the books on your pda and your computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast