Verdict: Very easy to use product to keep your BlackBerry from taking unwanted tumbles. Pros: ... Smartphone Reviews forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: Egrips

Advertisement

Verdict: Very easy to use product to keep your BlackBerry from taking unwanted tumbles.
    Pros: Easy application of product, many choices of models and colors
    Cons: Lack of pictures indication of placement on a BlackBerry; peels off easily
    URL: http://www.egrips.com
    Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

Egrips

I was just browsing the "Dropped BlackBerry" forum and saw a request for a review of egrips appliques.

Price: $12.95 USD

If you have a tendency to drop your BlackBerry as I do (and according to the MANY dropped BB posts in the above thread), and have been searching for a solution to keep you from dropping your BB, you will love egrips applique technology. Egrips also keep your phone in the case you put it in. I used a set with my OEM case before I got the open face case, and the phone never fell out. It can also be applied to cradles if your phone falls out while synching (I saw this tip online).

Egrips are adhesive strips that stick to just about any dry surface to prevent your portable electronics (mostly cell phones) from taking massive tumbles resulting in calls to providers saying "I dropped my phone and need to replace it."

They are double-sided adhesive strips which means one side sticks to the phone and the second side sticks to whatever surface your phone is laying on.

The set I have is for my 7105t but they come in many different shapes, colors such as black, carbon fiber, clear, and pink is available for those females who want a "feminine" color. Different configurations for all models except the 950, 850, 857, 5800 series (no grips for these models). Also for those of you who have extended battery/door kits, no plans are being made for grips to fit I had to use the standard grip for the back of the 7100t on the extended battery door and the edges of the grip do not stay down.

They come in packs of 2-6 grips depending on model (7100 series feature 6 grips per pack). Universal packs come with more grips. http://www.eaccess.com has pictures of egrips on BlackBerries already so if you need a visual go there and search for your model and egrips.

Applying egrips can be tricky if you're a first time user (I'm on my 3rd set now) and no picture of them on BlackBerry comes when you order them. I asked for a picture when I ordered my 2nd set from them but still got no picture of them actually on a BlackBerry. The trick is to apply them as straight and flat as possible as you can without them getting dirty, oily, greasy, attracting lint, etc or they will NOT stick.

I always begin with the back wide grip first as it's the biggest and easiest to apply to cover the battery door. Then I apply the smaller grips that fit on the back by the speaker at the top. Next I apply the side grips and these can be really difficult if you do not apply them straight. One grip goes below the mini USB slot on the left side and the other grip goes below the Escape key on the right side. Finally I apply the long top grip that fits around the power button (it has a cutout for the power button).

Once you get the grips on in place, the best thing to do is to handle your BB carefully for a few hours until they stick. Or if you are an addict like me, you can always do what I did LOL I applied the grips and immediately shoved my BB back into the open face case I bought which covers the sides, top and back of the phone and this makes the adhesive stick while you use your BB. If it becomes apparent that the grips have lost the adhesiveness and start to come off, you can take a damp towel and gently clean the adhesive side of the grips to regain the grip.

After you've waited a while to let the grips adhere to your phone, you will notice that it becomes easier to hold your phone (the biggest reason I bought them). It will also not slide around on any surface you put your phone on.

As I mentioned earlier, I am on my 3rd set of egrips and these have worked the best for me since I have a case that basically forces them to stay in place. My first 2 sets peeled up on their own as I didn't have a way to keep them in place. I wish I had had them back when I was using Pocket PC/Phone Editions and my Sidekicks as I would not have dropped those so much. I highly recommend them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-23-2006 at 04:57 AM.

taeisme no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Egrips

What I found as a work around for not having a size compatable with the extended battery door is go to Radio Shack, they have the universal and cut to fit. That worked for me. Also, Office Depot has them, or at least mine does. For the 8700, the Egrips go along the side and the battery door but instead of one strip going over the top of the BB. There are twi strips that go along the top of the front of the BB, there is a speaker cut out and along the bottom centered directly under the keyboard.

That's cool. I will get them whenever I get my 8700 lol

Gina no está en línea Stack level 4

great write. Can wait to get the 8700 also.
    Gina-Lisa James,
    Pinstack.com – the web's #1 BlackBerry spot!
    Add Pinstack to your MySpace & twitter.com/pinstack

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

I started to write a review of my experience with egrips and the 8700c, but Erica beat me to it! :-p

I have the extended battery which required cutting the back-plate grip to fit. I would like a strip of the material along the top edge of my BB. I often have a finger up there to stabilize the unit. I'm not so sure of the utility of the patch on the front-bottom location of the unit.

I really wanted an image to guide me in placement. The photos on this thread,

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=2169,

were useful in getting correct placement. (Thanks!)

My holster is now very tight, but I think it will loosen a little with use.

Thanks for the review, Erica!

GeoMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Review: Egrips

Can someone tell me if they've gotten eGrips for the 8700 in black? When I ordered, the only color they offerred was "clear." I have an 8700c, but I would only use the back panel, anyway.

I just looked and the only color still there is clear. They are good except that if you get any lint under them, they are useless after due to the fact that they lose the stickiness. I've had 3 sets already and the top and backs have been my problem.

Try going to Office Max or Office Depot, asking for the Universal eGrips and then cutting them to the size and shape you need.

GeoMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Erica, your comment about lint is disheartening because their marketing materials just say to clean the grips with a damp cloth. I keep my BB in my back pocket, and there's bound to be lint in there! And, on the center console of my car.

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

With the extended battery and door, the egrips for the 8700 require trimming. The folks at egrips responded immediately to my comment and requested images of my system with extended battery mouted. I made the images and some measurements and they indicated they are planning a set for the 8700 with extended battery.

After working with them in place (I trimmed the back piece), I decided to remove the back and front and moved the lower egrip to the very top of my 8700. With the two side-grips and the now-top-mounted grip, I have sufficient grasp but without the friction of the grips against my leather holster. This setup works for me.

Good review, Erica!

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

just ordered mine for the 8700c
    great review

tomtester no está en línea Stack level 1

Did anyone else scroll down when the egrips logo appears after the link in this review is clicked... (Before it refreshes again)

Please do and tell me how egrips are related to teen b*tt s*x etc... Is this SEO spam?

arodweb no está en línea Stack level 2

got mine on today on my 8700g, and WOW!, it really works, no more droping my BB. i don't know why i didn't get this product before........Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by tomtester
    Did anyone else scroll down when the egrips logo appears after the link in this review is clicked... (Before it refreshes again)

Please do and tell me how egrips are related to teen b*tt s*x etc... Is this SEO spam?
    Read my review again. They are for your BlackBerry.

Been a while since I added to this thread but I am going to try to secure a set of egrips for my Pearl and review those.