Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I asked Brando for a BlackBerry Curve 8900 case for review, and Brando being Brando ... Smartphone Reviews forum

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8

REVIEW: Curve 8900 Accessories

Advertisement

I asked Brando for a BlackBerry Curve 8900 case for review, and Brando being Brando I received a box through the door which could have held a washing machine! I received a crystal case, flip case, wallet case, rubber case, 2 screen protectors, a car charger and a lanyard (which turned out to be something else entirely) for my Curve. On top of this was another item which I will have up for review very soon.

So, let’s take a look at the cases first. Smartphone cases are a difficult breed to understand from a practical sense because most people want quick and easy access to their phones all of the time, and that is often more important to them than protection. In view of this I am going to start with the Silicone Case which is the most unobtrusive of the bunch and one that will enable you to use the phone in exactly the same manner as you would when it is naked.

The case is fairly standard and offers good access to all of the major features of the Curve. The screen and keyboard are unprotected, which makes sense, but every other part is covered. This should help if you drop the phone and offers good protection against minor scratching in a bag or pocket. The cut outs for the headphone jack and microUSB slot are perfectly cut and the volume keys are covered, but still perfectly useable.

This case has something called ‘organic anti-dust technology’ which sounds like a marketing gimmick, but it seems to work. After a week of use, it does not attract the amount of dust I have seen in other cases of this type. The silicone cases are available in Ice (white), Blue, Pink and Black and are well priced at only $10.

Verdict: Good quality, well priced
    Pros: Does not add much bulk to phone
    Cons: Not the best protection
    URL: http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03121
    Price: $10
    Overall rating: 4/5

The next two cases are more traditional and are designed for the user who wants as much protection as is possible while still allowing for relatively easy access. My personal preference is to use the silicone case, but the pouch variety fits the design of the Curve very well indeed. It is small and the Curve simply slots in and out when needed. The elasticated sides mean that the phone should not suffer any minor scratching when in situ and the soft interior lining obviously helps in this regard. The stitching is perfect and the ever present belt clip will ensure that it is highly unlikely to fall when you are walking or even running. I would like to see a version without the belt clip, but that is purely a personal preference.

Verdict: Very well made and offers good protection
    Pros: Small enough to not add too much bulk
    Cons: Fairly expensive
    URL: http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03122
    Price: $28
    Overall rating: 4/5

The flip top version of this case is in essence almost identical, but allows for smartphone use when the phone is in the case. The belt clip is removable on this one and so you can just carry the Curve in your hand and not suffer the bulk at the back. The thin strip above the keyboard keeps the phone in place well, but does not add to the look of the phone. This is not my preferred style of case, but it is designed well and will suit those who need continued use of a phone whilst maintaining protection.

Verdict: Very well made, but quite bulky
    Pros: Great protection
    Cons: Fairly expensive
    URL: http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03123
    Price: $28
    Overall rating: 3/5

Last but not least we have the Crystal Case which brings a whole new dimension to protection. Without doubt it is the best looking case here and is designed be as invisible as possible. It comes in two parts which you simply snap together and away you go. All of the main functions are accessible and you can even charge with the case on. I was surprised at how easily I could type with the case on and after a few days it became my case of choice. You need to make sure that the insides of each cover are clean before inserting the phone, but other than that you will soon forget that it is even on the phone. Pure class…

Verdict: Looks great, is great
    Pros: Full access to phone features
    Cons: None
    URL: http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03123
    Price: $12
    Overall rating: 5/5
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Thanks for the reviews!
    -Tim

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Great review McGill, nicely done.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

lando4 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30FB09EF
    Thanks for this post
    Lando
    (googletalk/latitude)
    landopecs@gmail.com

PIN# 30FB09EF
    http://jackshill.hi5.com

artcarney no está en línea Stack level 3
    Will the 8900 still fit in the charging dock with the crystal case on it? If not, is the case easily removed?

David

tmdavies01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have the silicone case but am thinking of getting the crystal one as well. Thanks for the reviews......makes my decision to get one easy!

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    Will the 8900 still fit in the charging dock with the crystal case on it? If not, is the case easily removed?
    No and Yes
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

sparkyj62 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24acd57e
    I doubt it single guy. i have just the invisible shield on the entire phone and it barely fits in my dock that i have but, it could vary depending on which dock you have.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    nice review!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    Awesome review. I've tried a few of the cases myself and I've had the crystal case the longest. Before this I had two leather cases which looked nice but detiorated after only a few weeks which made me regret paying 49.00 for them. My crystal case ois perfect and even after being stepped on is still functional.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    thanks for the reviews shaun!

very helpful; makes it easier on people trying to decide what to buy

lacroixn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    27FFB707
    Excellent very very helpful, thanks. Will get the crystal case.
    As I was using a Bold before, I had a Bold case, I just stuck on screen protector and a skin for the 8900 and slid it into the Bold case.

goldenhours no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks for the review! That crystal case looks great.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Shaun,

Two questions:

1. Do the leather cases invoke the sleep mode on the devices?
    2. Does the clear case have integrated screen protection?

Thanks,
    Roger

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Interesting to note that in their list of BlackBerry devices they have the 9300/Javelin. Hmmmm......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast