Well about that time for a review again...How about a case for the 8100's? A ... Smartphone Reviews forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Review: BoxWave Designio Case For 8100 Pearl

Advertisement

Well about that time for a review again...How about a case for the 8100's?

A few days ago I received a case from BoxWave called the Designio.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...hlight=boxwave

BoxWave Website

Now, keep in mind there are two designs, a vertical flap and a horizontal flap...The one that I received was the horizontal flap.

Good thing, it's leather and seems to be rather well built, compareable to the Fortee case that I have for my 8700 (which I like very dearly).

The flap that goes over the front is very well protected in the event of a drop. I tested this by going to the local TMobile store, having the salesperson give me an 8100, put it in the case, then drop it face first on the tile floor while the sales person wasn't looking...Picked it up, and it was fine. (You don't think I would actually risk my own Pearl do you???).

Now, as you can see in the pictures on the above thread, there is a MicroSD holder on the flap...On the one I received, rather than a slot for the MicroSD, it has a little pouch on the inside of the flap (You will see in pictures below). While it is too small to carry an ID, it is big enough to maybe put some folded money in. I would not though recommend putting a MicroSD in it, as it seems a little too large to put a MicroSD in...I would think it would be too easy for it to fall out.

The build of the case is great...The design, is just a hair off...

First off, the slot for the LED doesn't line up perfectly. This really wouldn't be too much of a problem, except for the following...

A: I depend on being able to see my LED flash, so that I know I am in service, or if I am driving in the car with the radio up, I can see if I have a message. It lines up a little off, so it is possible to see it thru the case, but not extremely easy.

B: And the biggest pain in the rear for me...Since it covers most of the LED, it also turns on the AutoDim feature. Since the light is covered, the light sensor is assuming that it's always being used in the dark, thus darkening your screen and lighting up the keypad and the trackball.

Next, there is no magnet in the flap to put the device into sleep mode...Not a huge deal, but I happen to prefer it. Pic here shows how flap closed doesn't put the device into sleep mode:

Next picture shows that the cut outs on the side are just a little off, which isn't too bad, and in all honesty, will probably vary by each case since not every case is going to be a 100% copy of the other:

Now, I would recommend getting the vertical flap case, because the horizontal does not come with a clip to put on your belt, which unfortunately for me, is where I prefer to have my devices, rather than in my pocket...

Here is a picture of the back of the case:

Side and the Top of the case:

Unfortunately, RIM wasn't kind enough to supply us with a case out of the box on these things. This case would be good for those who like to carry their devices around in their pockets. And I am sure that the other case would be good for those who like to have it on their belt, such as myself.

One thing I can complain about, would be the difficulty of taking a picture with the case on...However, that is going to be an issue with every case that has a flap, so no need to even rant on it...The vertical flap may be a little better, because you can just drop it down.

Anyways, I am sure that this is going to be the first of a quite a few case designs by Boxwave.

And right now they have their cases on sale...Check out their website. They are marked down from $43.95 to $29.95.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Wow..Nice...Is it just me or are all of the pictures Black and White???

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Nice review N8 thanks! And it does appear that all the pictures are black and white but they're nice and clear!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by msbrenda64
    Nice review N8 thanks! And it does appear that all the pictures are black and white but they're nice and clear!
    Good old camera...Maybe I left it in the car too long and the heat finally fried it...Thought I was going color blind..

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Glad I got the Designio Sleeve! Works Great and No Auto Dim Problems http://www.boxwave.com/products/dlsl...leeve_2175.htm