One of my current favorite features of the Blackberry Bold is the built in media ... Smartphone Reviews forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

Review: Blackberry Media Player - Bold

Advertisement

One of my current favorite features of the Blackberry Bold is the built in media player application. I have an 8gb microSD loaded and my Bold reads it effortlessly. I can use the Windows file explorer to drag and drop files to the card easily. The best part is the way the media player handles tags.

The songs are listed and displayed by the information in the ID3 tags. This is taken a few steps further however, and the media player has one of the best media search functions of any device I've seen, including stand-alone mp3 players.

For example, let's say I'm looking for "Lil' Wayne - Dr. Carter" but I'm feeling a bit forgetful. I know the artists name is "Wayne" and the song has "Carter" in the title. I can type in "Wayne" and the Bold will narrow down my results in real-time. In other words for every letter I type the results will be re calculated, instantly.

So I've typed in "Wayne" and have a list of songs with "Wayne" in the title or with "Wayne" as an artist. I'd like to narrow it down more and I know "Carter" is in the title. Without erasing "Wayne" I add Carter and watch as I type and the results continue to narrow. I have now found my song and it was as easy as typing in what I knew about the song! The word or name you use doesn't have to be complete as long as you start from the beginning of the word. For example you can search "Way Car" but not "yne ter". You can search for title,artist, genre or album in any order.

It doesn't stop there. I was pleased to find a built in play list editor. You can create and edit multiple play lists, name them whatever you want, and even search for songs within a play list! The search works in the same way as the regular search. You can create an auto playlist which basically filters music by album(s),artist(s) and or genre(s). once you set the filters you can see what songs would be included in your new playlist

An increasingly important feature of media players has been support for album art. I tagged all of my files with itunes and included album art in the tags. The Bold displays album art beautifully! It doesn't have any fancy animation or full screen album art display but it does show me the album cover which,again, looks terrific on the Bolds display.

I use my media player in 3 ways. I use it to put me to sleep (speaker), as my car stereo on the way to and from work (cd-to-tape kit) and as a portable media player at the gym (headphones). The sound in all 3 instances is excellent, highs are high, lows are low and mids are well rounded. If the default sounds arent to your liking, anytime headphones are connected, an "Equalizer" menu is available. There are quite a few presets like Rock, HipHop, R&B etc. You also get options like "bass boost", "bass cut" "treble boost" etc. The only downisde is that you cant manipulate the bands yourself, but this is a very minor downside and its not fair to knock it for this, since no other portable media players that i know of have that option. The headphone jack is the 3.5mm which makes it compatible with the most popular sets of headphones, as well as the CD to TAPE kits.
    I love the shortcuts that make it easy to change tracks or pause and resume play. For example, without looking, I can skip to the next track by pressing and holding "Volume Up" or the letter n. I can skip back with volume down or the letter p. I can pause and resume play using the spacebar or mute key. These are the shortcuts I use on a regular basis but I'm sure there are more I'm unaware of. That's the beauty of it. As much thought was put into the media player as the rest of the device.

A media player should play more than just music, and the Bold excels at this too. Thanks to its powerful processor and beautiful screen, watching videos on the Bold is like watching hi-def tv. I converted an episode of chapelle show from DVD to a mobile format and loaded it into an iphone and my Bold. The colors on the Bold were more true, the details sharper, and the sound was much more clear. Since the Bold supports my 8gb memory card, I'll never be bored on a long road trip.

Alot of people bash the Blackberry media player and opt for 3rd party apps like Miutunes or Flipside. While I dont want to take away from those apps, I think alot of people dont really take the time to see how robust our own built in media player is! While it doesnt have fancy features like "coverflow" or ability to get song information off of the internet, it makes up for it by being DEPENDABLE like so many of RIM's offerings.

I hope this review helps some of you save some money
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 12-29-2008 at 09:30 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Nice review of the media player.

Just my opinion, but I try to use the built in player on my 8120 when I don't feel like carrying 2 devices. I figured out how to compile a playlist.

I do however find the other media players out there are better. I actually beta tested MiuTunes and prefer it but it's a memory resource hog.

Maybe when it gets a face lift (or by then I'll have the 8220) I will begin to use it more. And maybe when I get a memory card big enough to hold my music without having to upgrade whenever a new OS comes out.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 12-28-2008 at 01:19 AM.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Nice review of the media player.

Just my opinion, but I try to use the built in player on my 8120 when I don't feel like carrying 2 devices. I figured out how to compile a playlist.

I do however find the other media players out there are better. I actually beta tested MiuTunes and prefer it but it's a memory resource hog.

Maybe when it gets a face lift (or by then I'll have the 8220) I will begin to use it more. And maybe when I get a memory card big enough to hold my music without having to upgrade whenever a new OS comes out
    Thanks.
    I also tested Miutunes and while itas nice to look at. It didn't hold a candle to the blackbbery media plyer even then (I was using a curve 8300 os 4.5)

Like you said, this is just my opinion but the only thing it had going for it was the fancy UI. it was slower, less dependable, not as fully integrated, and not even as easy to use. The fonts weren't as readable on miutunes or flipside as on the BB media player. Also, miutunes and flipside don't play video. The biggest "issue" I have with the other media players is they are for purchase. Like I said they are pretty good apps but when I get this much functionality and stability for free, why pay for something else?
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 12-29-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: thanks lavagirl :)

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Nice Review, however I didn't see any mention of the "Equalizer" that was a big plus for me when I upgraded my curves OS, and for some reason my music sound better on my Bold's Media Player with my Bose in-ear phones, than on my Ipod Classic - go figure...

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~oops, I screwed that up...can I edit via wap?
    I don't think so, I do remember making a correct/edit from my device but that was only because I did not refresh my browser. But basically No!

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    downsized the pictures and added a part about the EQ. no screenshots unfortunately

amazinglucky no está en línea Stack level 1
    8700 can not use it

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinglucky View Post
    8700 can not use it

This was a review on the Media Player that came built in to the Blackberry Bold. Similiar versions are in the 81xx,83xx,88xx,9xxx and 8220 phones. Unfortunately to my knowledge, theres is no such software for the 87xx series.

As an update i finally found a bug, and this may be related to Bold Beta OS .210 as i never experienced this on the 83xx devices (beta or not).

While I am listening to music, sometimes I am not in the mood for certain songs, i will skip using the volume shortcut and if i know im not in the mood for the one that comes next i skip again. Sometimes i get skip happy and skip one that id like to listen to. so using the volume shortcut again i skip back. the song will play but after it finishes it will play the song BEFORE the one i just listened to. i have not let it continue to see if it has just reversed the playlist (this may be a feature after all) but i end up skipping the song, skipping the next one which is what i just listened to, and then going from there....

anyone else experienced this?

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC
    Just wanted to say great review...
    ~via BB Bold(wap.pinstack.com)~