Also see this 8700g review The new BlackBerry 8700g improves upon earlier models by incorporating ... Smartphone Reviews forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Review: Blackberry 8700g

Advertisement

Also see this 8700g review

The new BlackBerry 8700g improves upon earlier models by incorporating the latest high-speed EDGE technology for mobile phones and doubling the amount of available memory. As it turns out, those are just two of the features that make Research In Motion's new smartphone for T-Mobile a winner.

Look and Feel
    Measuring 4.3 x 2.7 x 0.77 inches, the 4.7-ounce handset sports a Qwerty-style keypad featuring textured and contoured keys that deliver excellent tactile feedback. The handset's large, 2.2-inch light-sensing screen is designed to automatically set display brightness to match local lighting conditions. The 8700g comes in a stylish midnight blue and black color scheme, distinguishing it from the gray 8700c for Cingular, which preceded this model by a few weeks.

Features
    Among the first mobile handsets to sport the "Intel Inside" logo, the BlackBerry 8700g integrates a speedy Intel processor expressly designed for mobile applications; a spacious 64 MB of user-accessible memory; a USB port for synchronizing handset files with other computing devices; and a Bluetooth radio. Also on tap are dedicated "send," "end," and "mute" keys, together with additional keys that are user-definable.

The BlackBerry 8700g offers excellent support for Web browsing and messaging, and you can view e-mail attachments in a wide range of formats. Even better, the smartphone's onboard "enterprise-activation" capability is designed to quickly integrate BlackBerry handsets with corporate Outlook, Lotus Notes, or Novell Groupwise e-mail accounts running on I.T. platforms equipped with BlackBerry Enterprise Server, version 4.0 or higher.

When working in tandem with BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the handset has access to corporate intranet content. A browser "push" capability is also on board to enable the device to receive content updates automatically from Web-based applications.

Performance
    The BlackBerry 8700g deserves high marks for delivering excellent voice quality performance, with calls coming through loud and crystal clear. The incoming call notification function can be set to tone, vibrate, on-screen, or LED. Moreover, the smartphone fully supports call forwarding, conference calling, and speed dialing.

Designed to roam over GSM networks globally, RIM's quad-band phone delivers up to four hours of continuous talk time and can be operated for up to 16 days in the standby mode. The handset's battery is easy to remove, which means that it can be replaced for a fresh unit while on the go.

Unfortunately, the performance is crippled somewhat by the absence of an expansion card slot or a Wi-Fi radio. In addition, some road warriors will be disappointed that RIM limits wireless linkups to Bluetooth-enabled headsets, car kits, and a few other devices.

The Verdict
    Available from T-Mobile for $299.99 after rebate, the BlackBerry 8700g is an enterprise-class handset that is more than up to the task of fulfilling the needs of most mobile workers. However, those who like to access Wi-Fi hotspots while on the go should consider the purchase of T-Mobile's MDA smartphone.

BlackBerry 8700g
    Specs: Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) GSM/GPRS radio; 2.2-inch, 65,000-color screen; 312-MHz Intel PXA 901 processor; 64 MB of flash memory; 16 MB of SDRAM; Bluetooth 2.0; USB port; speakerphone.

Pros: Higher-speed EDGE data-handling capability; 35-key Qwerty-style keypad.

Cons: No expansion card slot or Wi-Fi capability; limited Bluetooth connectivity.

Verdict: The BlackBerry 8700g is an enterprise-class handset that is more than up to the task of fulfilling the needs of mobile workers.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Review By: Mark Long, newsfactor.com

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Re: Review: Blackberry 8700g

Great review Hydn. But, I feel that the cons you listed, really cant be called cons when we know RIM's stance on security and usability. Granted, they have officially announced a more "consumer" oriented BB to debute sometime this year, but in the mean time, the 8700 model series, are meant for business. So expansion cards and wi-fi are farthest from the minds of business users. This device is Email specific, and it does that oh so well.

I am not trying to disagree with you, or anything like that. Just wanted to make an opinion, that I dont feel the cons listed can be listed based on the fact they were NEVER thought of in the design of the unit. Hope you dont take offense. Just trying to add to the conversation

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSE79
    Great review Hydn. But, I feel that the cons you listed, really cant be called cons when we know RIM's stance on security and usability. Granted, they have officially announced a more "consumer" oriented BB to debute sometime this year, but in the mean time, the 8700 model series, are meant for business. So expansion cards and wi-fi are farthest from the minds of business users. This device is Email specific, and it does that oh so well.

I am not trying to disagree with you, or anything like that. Just wanted to make an opinion, that I dont feel the cons listed can be listed based on the fact they were NEVER thought of in the design of the unit. Hope you dont take offense. Just trying to add to the conversation
    Offence? No .Remember I didn't write this. See the top of review:

"By: Mark Long, newsfactor.com"

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

ahhh Missed that one. Well, What do you think? Find it fairly true that the cons listed cant be listed, if never intended for the product??? To me, and this is my opinion, but to me, its like saying a TRUE digital camera, which shouldnt have a video feature, isnt good, without at least some type of video feature. If it wasnt designed to do that, then it cant be a con.

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSE79
    ahhh Missed that one. Well, What do you think? Find it fairly true that the cons listed cant be listed, if never intended for the product??? To me, and this is my opinion, but to me, its like saying a TRUE digital camera, which shouldnt have a video feature, isnt good, without at least some type of video feature. If it wasnt designed to do that, then it cant be a con.
    Yes. I do agree with you. The BB fills the needs of it's market share better than any other device.