I originally wrote this review and posted it on CNET near the end of May. ... Smartphone Reviews forum

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro

Thumbs up Review: BlackBerry 8330 Verizon Curve

Advertisement

I originally wrote this review and posted it on CNET near the end of May. I figured I'd post it here for anyone looking for another view of the Curve. It has since been changed to reflect my use in little ways, with my pros and cons. Enjoy!

Verdict
    I've always been the guy that wants a phone. A phone with no dings, bells, whistles whatever. I just want a contact list and a dial button. But realizing that the trend in phones and consumer products warrants that legends like the StarTac will never surface again, I must adapt and overcome.
    My needs for a phone over the years have changed as well. I'm a restaurant manager with a need for constant mobility to allow all kinds of data correspondence, yet I'm not able to commit my time to a desktop to get it done.
    Which brought me to the BlackBerry series. I've always kind of had a sense of contempt towards the BlackBerrys. I don't know why. I went to my Verizon Wireless store and started to seriously test these phones (within limits of being tethered to a booth of course).
    The Curve (as opposed to the World Editions, or Pearl) seemed the best option.
    My battery life is excellent right out of box, I did some additional tweaking such as the backlight timer, brightness etc and feel I get optimum battery performance. My BlackBerry routinely sees 2-3 days of regular texting, surfing, emailing and calling before requiring a charge (I'm not so good about putting it on the charger when I get home).
    Call quality is excellent as well. I frequently use the speakerphone to which a lot of people don't experience the talk back of a speakerphone and I've yet to receive any negative feedback about my end of the conversation.
    Reception on the phone is superb as well. My kitchens are filled with stainless steel, interference and signal attenuating equipment, all in all being fully surrounded by concrete walls. My previous LG-VX8100 would get spotty reception in various parts of the kitchen and even in my walkin coolers and freezers (which have heavy insulation and steel) that would give me minimal reception. My Curve triumphs all of it. I always notice full service reception on the meter anywhere in my building.
    The phone is also extremely easy to use. Within 10 minutes of opening the phone I was able to seamlessly integrate my Gmail as well as my corporate email accounts, as well as establish my blackberry.net email address. One feature I really like is that the phone has the ability to sense if it is holstered. You can change ring profiles and behaviors accordingly, and even set it to lock the phone upon holstering.
    The phone also has a good hold on security I feel. I have my security settings to use maximum strength encyption connected to the device and a password, and with these features installed, I see no decrease in performance.
    The system loaded software is excellent too, the maps program is fast and very thorough on searches and giving directions (not on the fly, but that is what VZNavigator gives me).
    My only cons to offer is that the Backup Assistant feature that Verizon has is not supported. I had to type out 170 contacts emails, phone numbers, faxes etc into Outlook to be synced into my address book on the phone. The plus to this, it that everytime I sync my phone to the computer, any new additions are updated to my Outlook/BlackBerry (depending on where I added or updated it), and my contacts are in my control (if Verizon's feature ever stopped working etc, I still have my master list in MY control).
    Also, even as much as I praise the battery life, I always prefer to have an extended capacity battery if offered. BlackBerry does not offer one for the Curve, but an aftermarket one is available (Seidio has one, as well as a battery cover, but I don't like aftermarket batteries or battery covers with a different maker on the back of it). I don't have a real need for it, I just like having it available (living in Florida during hurricane season can put you on edge for power). So for now I'll buy another battery and keep it charged.
    All in all, I recommend this phone highly to the mobile professional or text crazy person. The phone keeps you extremely mobile for long periods of time, isn't uncomfortable to type on, is easy to use and gives you impeccable service quality and reception.
    Pros
    • Excellent battery life
    • Plethora of (functional!) 3rd party software
    • Excellent service signal quality
    • Excellent quality speakerphone
    • Backed by Verizon's great customer service
    • Very easy learning curve (no pun intended), even for new smartphone users (like myself at the time of originally writing this review)
    • Stylish and comfortable form factor
    Cons
    • GPS has been locked by Verizon Wireless to only function with VZ Navigator, a $10.00 a month service (the software works and functions great, but this is a con by principle)
    • Trackball accumulates dirt from fingers, taining it a different color (easily cleaned however)
    • No support for Verizon's Get-It-Now programs, such as managing/purchasing ringback tones, ringtones, music, or games.
    • No support for Verizon's Backup Assistant (have to synch your contacts via BlackBerry Desktop software)
    • No OEM extended batteries available, only aftermarket
    URLPrice
    • Paid $199 + tax online w/ free shipping. Also received a $50 rebate from Verizon Wireless
    Overall Rating
    4 out of 5 stars
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

benthabits no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    My buddy learned that if you run VZ nav...and open another gps app it will work. He uses trimble for geocaching and just runs both apps. Sounds like the cons are against verizon....not BB

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

armenvzw no está en línea Stack level 3

Thumbs up

I have had my Curve 8330 from Verizon for several weeks now. I switched from ATT because the network speed is so slow. I love it, I use it every weekend for lap top connect when I work out of the office. Its a great phone and yes the battery does have a long life. I would recomend it before any windows based smartphone's which I have alot of freeze up's with including the blackjack I and II and the moto q which I got first with Verizon then went exchange for the Blackberry, very good choice.

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    hey armenvzw, is there really a difference in speed between Verion'z Curve and ATT curve, i have a Red 8310 from ATT and i have a app called opera mini, it seems fast to me, but i've been thinking of switching to the V....your thoughts..?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    hey armenvzw, is there really a difference in speed between Verion'z Curve and ATT curve, i have a Red 8310 from ATT and i have a app called opera mini, it seems fast to me, but i've been thinking of switching to the V....your thoughts..?
    I know it wasn't directed at me, but the first difference between the two that comes to mind is that the VZW curve has 96mb of onboard memory, whereas the ATT has 64mb I believe.

ETA: You can also add Opera Mini to the VZW Curve as well. Darned Opera should be standard software!
    Last edited by rmerck; 07-08-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    Really Didn't really know that, or i what i should say is i can't see the difference.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmerck View Post
    I know it wasn't directed at me, but the first difference between the two that comes to mind is that the VZW curve has 96mb of onboard memory, whereas the ATT has 64mb I believe.

ETA: You can also add Opera Mini to the VZW Curve as well. Darned Opera should be standard software!
    It's more of the difference between data network access methods...VZW uses EVDO, which is lightyears faster than AT&T's EDGE, not so much the memory.
    Last edited by snipes mcgee; 07-08-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    Where can I get that theme for my Bell Mobility 8330??? its so sexy
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

Quote Originally Posted by krikor222 View Post
    Where can I get that theme for my Bell Mobility 8330??? its so sexy
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=32771

tmdavies01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I got a $70 mail in rebate on mine.....weird!

vangorder no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Good review, my thoughts exactly. +1

From what I've read the memory increase doesn't really have a lot to do with it, apparently CDMA technology requires more memory to run efficiently, hence the bump in RAM; but that could easily be hearsay. I've been running the 4.5 beta OS for a few weeks now and the 8330 really flies, very stable.

I'm curious though.. What are your settings to achieve the 3 day power drive? I can only get about 1 day to 1 1/2 days out of mine before its completely dead. I'm also without a holster though, so that may be a big drainer.
    You have two ears, two eyes, and one mouth;
    therefore, listen and observe twice as often as you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by vangorder View Post
    Good review, my thoughts exactly. +1

From what I've read the memory increase doesn't really have a lot to do with it, apparently CDMA technology requires more memory to run efficiently, hence the bump in RAM; but that could easily be hearsay. I've been running the 4.5 beta OS for a few weeks now and the 8330 really flies, very stable.

I'm curious though.. What are your settings to achieve the 3 day power drive? I can only get about 1 day to 1 1/2 days out of mine before its completely dead. I'm also without a holster though, so that may be a big drainer.
    Backlighting set to minimal, no status light, no vibration just tone 10 second backlight timeout seems to be my winning formula

josephcaraccio no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31a987a7
    "My BlackBerry routinely sees 2-3 days of regular texting, surfing, emailing and calling before requiring a charge"

Absolutely impossible my battery dies by 7pm after a day at work. Some of my friends who use even more data than me have battery life issues by 5pm if they don't charge. The curve is a great phone but I always have my backlight at 10 seconds %10, no vibrate, low ring, no status light and if I can use my phone for max 12-14 hours before the wireless signal will turn off from low battery.

I have two blackberry batteries and the battery life is the same on both so I know its not my battery. I know at least a dozen people with this phone and they all say they can't go a full day without a charge or the phone dies. Is there something I don't know about?

"My only cons to offer is that the Backup Assistant feature that Verizon has is not supported."

Backing up my contacts and importing contacts from my old blackberry took about 5 seconds. I back up all the time and it works fine.

"GPS has been locked by Verizon Wireless to only function with VZ Navigator"
    It shouldn't be locked, I've never heard of that. Everyone I know uses their GPS without signing up for VS Nav. <- **** mine is locked too! It wasn't as of a week ago I am very upset about this!

Also curious what city you are in. In nyc the reception on the curve is pretty crappy in a lot of restaurants and bars. If the restaurant is downstairs i can complete forget about wireless service. I also find that no matter where i am apps that require constant digital service like AIM get dropped rather often. I like this phone way more than my old 8703 but I think the reception was better on my old one.
    Last edited by josephcaraccio; 07-16-2008 at 04:20 PM.