Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have had this phone for less than a week and it is hands down ... Smartphone Reviews forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Review: BlackBerry 8100 Pearl

Advertisement

I have had this phone for less than a week and it is hands down the best BlackBerry I have had. The only picture I have right now is my avatar.

The first thing about this phone is that it is obviously the smallest BlackBerry device. I have already compared it to the Moto SLVR because of this. The dimensions and weight of the device are specified on www.discoverblackberry.com so I won't bore you all with those. Its also a more user friendly candybar style shaped phone.

The next thing about this device is that its the first BB to come with the ability to use a media card to save files. It uses the micro SD card to save pics, and text files. The media card holder is on the back of the phone under the battery and sim card doors.

SureType is still available on this device but it seems to have been improved so that more words are correctly typed than the 7100s I had.

The two things I've had to get used to are that sometimes it will not insert a period when I need one with the spacebar shortcut while texting. I've also gotta get used to the fact that the Symbol key now opens on its own and you don't have to hold down the alt key.

The Edge network is much faster than any network used previously on a BB and this makes web browsing much easier also.

The next feature is something I have seen a lot of discussion about and that's the camera that is now included. The Pearl comes with a camera lens located on the battery cover. I'm not sure how many megapixels it is but I believe its 1.3. The right convenience key opens the cam and lets you take a picture.

The left convenience key opens the voice dialing application to where you can use voice dialing and other voice activated commands.

The menu key takes the place of the menu you used to have to scroll thru when in an application.

Another new key on this device is the speaker key which lets you use the speakerphone without opening a menu in the phone application. The same thing with the Mute key which is located on the top of the phone.
    The media player that comes on this device plays songs, movie clips and a few other formats which I'm also not sure about since I haven't yet used these. The headset jack to use with this feature is located on the left side of the device above the USB port.

The trackball takes the place of the trackwheel that was located on the right side of the device but serves the same function.

Finally the escape key has been moved to the front of the device.

I will include pics of the Pearl when I am near a pc but this is my first review of the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 and this is one sweet little phone packed with the features known and loved on previous BB's plus newer stuff.

Re: Review: BlackBerry 8100 Pearl

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~By the way, I wrote that review USING my BlackBerry Pearl 8100 LOL

AliceLand no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    318959cc

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive had my Pearl about a month now. I love it. It is a beautiful phone. I won't be using it for the media player because I have an iPod for that. But everything else is great. the iPhone made me a little jealous at first. Until I realized I have all that on the BlackBerry. Plus iCrack isn't as catchy as CrackBerry.

squ34k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EAD2EE

I'd hate to sound mean or anything but:

How can you compair the Pearl to a RAZR? RAZR isn't even a smartphone and doesn't even come close to the Pearl. The only thing Motorola has done was made phones that are not bricks and are thin. Everything else has been done.

Sorry I went on a small rant but it's true.
    Will you be my friend?
    AIM: killaninjamnky
    Y!: isitupsidedown
    MSN: squ34k@gmail.com
    PIN - 23EAD2EE

YMark no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the review. Maybe tomorrow you can review the 6510.
    Mark

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ LOL I said the SLVR not Razr. I made the comparison because they are both very thin and small phones.

I also forgot to mention the volume keys on the right side of the phone which raise and lower the volume while on a phone call instead of having to use the scrollwheel on previous models. Also the LED indicator is on the front of the phone instead of the top.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Good review, the blackberry pearl is in its class of its own!!!!

nickgust no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED7D94

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you said it. Best BlackBerry thus far. Found a few bugs but what the heck.

Just an update to my review. I am having one issue with the trackball. It seems to want to scroll to call voice mail when I want to delete the history of past SMS messages. Is this normal or a defect?

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Review is right on the money!!!!! I love this phone!

msorima2 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Review: BlackBerry 8100 Pearl

I got my pearl last december. T-mobile sent me anew one just 2 weeks ago. I cant hear any voice coming out of my phone unless I activate the speakerphone. I was wondering if anybody had the same problem.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

msorima2 - there have been posts on here with those issues and they had to be exchanged...prob something you don't want to hear since you are already on your second one...sorry

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

I agree with Erica. This phone is great. I have been using it for over 2 weeks and I am so use to the trackball that it felt funny when I handle the non-trackball BBs. Now if they can get integrated GPS on it for the next model. That would be great!

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

hi just joined the forum and found your thread.one of the first things i did was to change the convenience keys to RH lock keypad LH address book.Now how do i delete all previous calls on pearl.Their is no delete all bar.This sure is fun!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Just a few updates since this is my thread. I have been through 2 additional Pearl 8100's since the last post. Next in line will be a review/comparison/contrast between the 8100 and 8120 when I finally get that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast