Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verdict: Pros: Cons: URL: http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...itRegionAction Price: $349.99 before discounts/rebates Overall Rating: BlackBerry 7100i I've had ... Smartphone Reviews forum

juwaack68 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400D8B1C

Review: 7100i

Advertisement

Verdict:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    URL: http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...itRegionAction
    Price: $349.99 before discounts/rebates
    Overall Rating:

BlackBerry 7100i

I've had the 7100i since last Thursday (had the 7520 before that, and the 7510 before that). I can tell you that I will NOT be going back to the 7520 and have already re-deployed it to someone who had a 7510. Here are the differences I've found so far (for what they're worth):

- The screen resolution is 100 times better than the 7520. Yes, the screen is a bit smaller, but the resolution more than makes up for it.

- I like that (most of) the icons change a little when you scroll over them. For example, when I scroll over calendar icon, the little 'day' page flips up. When I roll off that icon, the 'day' page flips back down. Makes it easier to see where I'm at.

- And that little blue dot that highlighted icons is gone - replaced by 4 square brackets around the 'corners' of each icon. They're still blue, though.

- I really LOVE the phone connect and hangup buttons. Instead of having to hold in the Esc key to hang up a call, I just press the red hangup button - much like a regular cell phone.

- The programmable button inbetween the green and red phone buttons is very nice. With one touch I can go into whatever application I set that button to, from anywhere (program under Options / screen/keyboard).

- The Direct Connect button is on the side, where it should be.

- The attenae is shorter...so it's not nearly as annoying as the 7520.

- When I compose a message, I am not FORCED to add a recipient first - I get to the email message and can type in the message first, then the subject, THEN the recipient. Or whatever order I want. Very nice.

- There are only 13 programmable speed dial keys...but that's ok, I didn't have all 26 programmed before. I don't even know 26 people well enough to give them their own key.

- The calculator is MUCH better. Before you could press the numbers on the keypad when using it, but the +, -, x, and / signs were not easy to remember and I found myself scrolling to them - which made it very cumbersome. Now since the numbers are right in the middle of the keypad, the screen shows which buttons correspond to the +, -, x, and / signs.

- There are a LOT more ringtones (but where can I get more?) and I like being able to assign a specific ring tone to a contact.

- I can now view my Tasks on my Calendar (setting under Calendar options).

- There is a new profile for 'Off' that just turns all noises/vibrations off. On my 7520 I had created a 'Silent' profile, so this is nice to have as a default (and it can't be edited so it is user-proof!)

- You can also silence all tones with the new button on the top.

- I was able to reload almost all of the other apps I had (BBSpell, TeleNav, BBLight, Berry411) without a problem. METAMessage wouldn't load though. No version for the 7100i yet.

- Enterprise Activation was a SNAP.

- Searching for a name in the Address Book is very easy since it uses something called "Use Address Book as data Source". Basically it already knows what names you have to choose from so when you type the name it doesn't use letter combinations that don't exist.

- The SureType typing took about 20 minutes to get used to. The darn Del key is in the wrong spot though, since I keep typing L instead of deleting things

- You can now set a default backlight brightness from 0-44. I think the default is 24.

- SMS WORKS! I can now receive a message sent to my email from a cell phone, see who it's from AND reply to it! That is one thing I did miss with the other devices, as did many of my user base.

- I can now easily hide the sent items by going in the Message/Options.

- Instead of using T or B to get to the top or bottom of my message list, I now press the ER button for top or CV for bottom (thanks to someone on HowardForums for that tip!).

- Battery doesn't seem to last a full day. I charged it for 7hrs last night and it's been off the charger since 6:00am this morning (it's 9:30am now). I've taken one phone call this morning that lasted 8.5 minutes and my battery is already down to 85%. I had a high-capacity battery for the 7520, but I can't find one for the 7100i.

Hope that helps anyone who is thinking about or will be getting one of these. I highly recommend it...at least to people who aren't freaked out by the keyboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-06-2006 at 09:45 PM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: My Personal 7100i Review

Great review! thanks.

ingot1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400df839

I just switched as well from the 7520. I have been trying to find a horizontal case that supports the sleep function but seem to be very few out there. Have you seen any?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

there you go:

http://www.eaccess-estore.com/store/...g.asp?item=175

Welcome to Pin stack!

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Great write up!

If it weren't for the sure-type I probably would have gone the 7100 route rather than my 7230.

You're review makes me want to re-think and re-evaluate the 7100. Good info.

mrpink57 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320F8773

Thumbs up Re: My Personal 7100i Review

Quote Originally Posted by ingot1
    I just switched as well from the 7520. I have been trying to find a horizontal case that supports the sleep function but seem to be very few out there. Have you seen any?
    Take a look at www.fortte.com also, that is where I got my 7100i vertical case (at the time they only had the 7100g case though).

pink
    Do you know what this is? Its the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Sweet review juwaack68!~

You might know this already... but you can press 'UI' to get to the top or 'M' to get to the bottom of the screen.
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

kevinimpac no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400d77df

When I got my 7100i i was a bit unsure about the suretype. My son had a great idae on how to learn it, he is 8, cover the screen and type the words he selects from a discovery channel tv show. So we did that and after about an hour we looked back at what we had typed and to my suprise it appeared that about 95% of the time it was correct. I dont know what i would do with out it now.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Sure type isnt bad at all. Much easier to type while driving!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

The only thing I don't like about SureType is that certain words take the same keystrokes. Such as 'hey' and 'get'. And it always seems to choose the wrong one. So certain conversations come out like this:

Me: Get
    Me: Could you hey me a copy of that new 4.1 software?

That and the M key has been a bit iffy with me lately. Might just be my typing style though.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

BenMarvin - I have the same problem. I have learned to deal with it. Overall I like the SureType. My other problem is that I and U are on the same key. I often send quick text messages to my husband (who doesn't have a BB) and I tend to use U instead of you. However I have the Suretype has a nasty habit of picking the wrong one and confusing my husband.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Mikey no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243B3221

To all that have a problem with the sure type:

Go to the Options icon
    go to Auto Text
    Hit the track button
    go NEW
    in the replace section -type what you like - I used hh
    in the with section - type hey
    save!

Try that. I love my sure type. Couldn't live without it.
    Mikey
    243B3221

Mikey no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    243B3221

I forgot to add......

Once you change hh (or letters of choice) to hey, now go back and replace hey with get.

Type and move on, you'll see the change.
    Mikey
    243B3221

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Thank you!
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

fivestar no está en línea Stack level 1

Great review. Have you tried TeleNav on 7100i?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast