Verdict: Best Windows Mobile Phone Owned Pros: Keyboard, Software, Apps, Memory, Processor, Screen, Hardware, TouchFLO3D ... Smartphone Reviews forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

One Week With The Touch Pro 2

Advertisement

Verdict: Best Windows Mobile Phone Owned
    Pros: Keyboard, Software, Apps, Memory, Processor, Screen, Hardware, TouchFLO3D
    Cons: Battery Life, AutoText, Hardware
    Price: $330
    URL: http://www.htc.com/us/products/t-mob...&filters=3-0-0
    Overall Rating: 5 of 5

I love this phone. Got it a week ago today and have not been able to put it down.

Keyboard: One of the best keyboards I have ever used. The keys are slightly raised. The phone has a full row of number keys/punctuation keys (when used with the alt key). The CAPS and ALT keys have a light above them when pressed. No problem with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as I can type all day long. An audible click is heard when keys are pressed.

Screen: This is one HUGE screen! It is resistive touch so when using the onscreen keyboard you get vibrating feedback. The tilting feature is one I love. Also, the screen covers the keyboard when the phone is closed. Below the screen is the barely visible Zoom bar. It took a Google Search for me to learn this is only for the browser and a few other instances. There is also a notication bar that alerts you to any missed calls or messages.

Processor: MUCH LESS LAG than on any BlackBerry I had prior to it. It handles as many apps as I throw at it.

Hardware: This phone doesnt have a 3.5mm headset jack or mini USB port. There is a propietary port on the phone and an adapter is included with the headphones. The top of the phone features the message/battery charging LED notification that blinks when you have messages.

Buttons: The buttons on the phone are as follows: Send Call, Home, Back, and End Call buttons, Volume toggle and Power. The Micro SD cover is on the left side of the phone but you have to remove the battery cover to get to it. The 3.2 MP camera, speaker, speakerphone, and mute buttons are on the back.

Phone: The speakers are amazing! You won't miss any notifications on this thing LOL

Software: Touch FLO3D is amazing. I fly through my apps by dragging along the bottom row of on screen icons. I haven't tried the camera or media player yet. The on screen keyboard can be used for one handed typing with the phone closed. There is no auto capitalization, unless you end a sentence with punctuation.

Memory: 288 MB. I am spoiled rotten about the ability to have as many apps running consecutively on the phone as I want without it lagging or seeing an hourglass.

3rd Party Software Installed: BeeJive IM, FaceBook, FaceBook IM, Handango InHand, Handmark Apps For Windows Mobile, ICQ, IM+, Microsoft My Phone, Microsoft Marketplace For Windows Mobile, MySpace, Nimbuzz, NormSoft Pocket Tunes, Palringo, Panormic MoTweets, Scrabble, The Sims 3, Twikini, Viigo, WeatherBug Mobile.

The install files for these are on my media card if I have to replace the phone. The ability to install from the card is great.

On Board Apps: The usual Windows Mobile apps, YouTube, etc,. I have used all apps but the camera. Some work, some don't. I personally love the bundle app for Instant Messaging.

Battery Life: This honestly sucks for messaging addicts. I have to charge my phone 2x daily to get through a normal day with all the emails, texts and instant messaging I do. I will invest in a Seidio Extended Life Battery soon. I did not leave the T-Mobile store I bought this phone at without a car charger.

Browser: I have yet to understand why HTC put 2 browsers on here. Using the internet icon launches Opera Mobile anyway. To get to Pocket Internet Explorer, you have to use the app icon scroll bar to go the Programs tab, hit the All Programs key onscreen, and launch it from there.

Other than the listed cons, the rest of the phone works great. I will be happy for the next 2 or more years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 03-16-2010 at 01:59 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    That's awesome, is the Battery really an issue or is it b/c your using to more?

I am not done with the review yet. My phone was throwing fits while typing it LOL

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    That's a great looking device. Glad you're enjoying it.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Good review so far Erica. As Steve was asking, is the battery life really that horrible or are you just an abuser? Also, does HTC offer an extended life battery? Lastly, what on-board apps don't seem to play well. I'm considering the Android platform if I don't see anything really impressive from RIM this year, so getting a few ideas in line. I gotta say the proprietary headset/charger plugs is a big turnoff. Hate the need for an adapter and ANOTHER charger.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    That's awesome, is the Battery really an issue or is it b/c your using to more?
    This might actually be an oversight by HTC. Stacker BigHulkDiese (who owns the AT&T version which is branded the Tilt 2) said the same thing in his own review here http://forums.pinstack.com/f27/bhds_...review-116686/

Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Good review so far Erica. As Steve was asking, is the battery life really that horrible or are you just an abuser? Also, does HTC offer an extended life battery? Lastly, what on-board apps don't seem to play well. I'm considering the Android platform if I don't see anything really impressive from RIM this year, so getting a few ideas in line. I gotta say the proprietary headset/charger plugs is a big turnoff. Hate the need for an adapter and ANOTHER charger.

I couldn't find an HTC extended battery so I will have to fork over the $60 for the Seidio version. I can unplug the phone at 10 AM Central and by 2 PM it is at 70%. I text and I.M. heavily and send a few emails. I tried the YouTube app and it came to a complete halt. Everything else works fine. The camera opens when it feels like though LOL
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 03-14-2010 at 01:45 AM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Can you view in the settings what is using your battery, bet it's that huge screen That's what eats up my battery on my DROID. Glad you're liking your new phone, keep us posted as the days progress. Once you test the camera, post a pic or two so we can see the quality
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I thought I would add some images of it to the review.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 03-16-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: changed images

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    And the specs:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

One thing I forgot to mention in this review was the GPS software. On the TP2, you have TeleNav and Quick GPS. I didn't use Quick GPS. I did use TeleNav this past weekend. Here's a quick review of TeleNav for Windows Mobile review and comparison to TeleNav on a Samsung Behold 2.

My mom, my godmother (who owns a Samsung Behold 2 with TeleNav) and I used GPS this past Friday. GPS worked great but was a major battery hog. Not sure how bad it killed the battery on the Behold 2.

Unfortunately my first usage of TeleNav was to go to a funeral. Between the 2 GPS systems (my TP2 and a Samsung Behold 2) we got there fairly quickly, on time with a few hiccups. The software would re-route on both phones when we missed a turn. Mine was a little slower to re-route than the Behold 2, though. Mine also did not have turn-by-turn voice directions like the Behold 2 did.

TeleNav for Windows Mobile features:

Drive To: Will give you non-audible turn by turn directions on a map. There is a little cute car showing which direction to turn. At the top of the screen you will see the approximate distance, distance remaining and how long it will take to get to your destination.

Search: Allows you to search for anything you want to find using your voice or typing in whatever you're looking for.

Maps And Traffic: Shows current maps and traffic conditions. You can toggle different views, pull up the location of the cursor on the map, or get new maps.

Tools And Extras: My Stuff-stores favorite routes and Commute Alerts;

Product Tour (intro to the features which I viewed prior to using TeleNav);

Weather (gives current stats);

Record Location: records current location;

Preferences: General information about the user and preferences; Navigation-options for fastest travel; Audio-Options for language and voice used; Speech Input: Options for recording voice directions;

About: Information about Telenav and your account; Support options; and feedback.

My only gripe about TeleNav is the battery hog. I left home with a full battery. I used TeleNav to get to my destination (Houston to Texas City). After the service and visitation with the family, I looked at my phone 4 hours later and my usage had sucked 50% battery life from my phone. I put my phone back on the car charger on the ride home. I didn't use my phone much after getting to the service. I don't know how much more battery life got sucked from the phone while in the building or at the relative's house we went to later. I sent 2 texts the entire day so GPS and bad reception could have been the culprits.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 03-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Folder Management: Just remembered this feature. It was one I LOVED on the Sidekick and prior Windows Mobile devices I owned and I missed one portion of it on the BB: The ability to go back and re-read an email or text before I delete it for good. And, for all of you who save your text messages, you have all the room you need. It stores unlimited texts (so far I have saved over 500 texts in the deleted folder).

Finally found an extended battery for my phone. Got this one coming to me for free shipping and just $39.50 on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. Been preparing for college graduation on May 15, 2010. As promised, here is a pic of me (on the right in the blue pj's LOL) taken on the phone
    (deleted pic)

Another update I forgot: I have progressed to the point where I no longer even use the hardware keyboard except for very long emails. I have been using the on screen keyboard for most of my messaging. Battery life has gotten better with the Seidio battery. I can finish one day if I charge in the middle of the day at school around 2 PM.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.