Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been looking for a GPS navigation program for the last few weeks and have ... Smartphone Reviews forum

ASTMedic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Nav4All review (and the other GPS Programs too)

Advertisement

I've been looking for a GPS navigation program for the last few weeks and have used BB Maps, TeleNav and for a VERY short time Nav4All. I had a hard time finding a thread that covered the programs that we have available to us in depth. So I thought I would take a crack. Before we start I just want to say that I am not an expert in electronics. I do however catch on fast and don't have a lot of trouble finding my way around them.

I like TeleNav and BB Maps for the most part. I just feel that they seem to be missing a few things here and there. As for Nav4All..........just wait I'll get to that one!!

Just to cover one item that most newer people seem to ask: All of the navigation programs below need a data connection to download the maps and other info. That I know of there is no map program for the 8100 with the maps loaded on it. You will also need a bluetooth GPS receiver to get directions on the go. (I recommend the Houlx GPSlim 240 it's VERY small)

I'll start with BB Maps. This is a good, simple navigation program that comes on the 8100. It is a very straight forward program that is, I think, easy to use. It will map locations from your address book and load the directions to a location but not remap if you pass a turn. There is no relaxing female voice to tell you when to turn either. It has no search feature to find the closest Starbucks but you could use Berry 411 to do that. The maps seem to be up to date and all streets are included.

TeleNav seems to be the closest thing to a "real" navigation system. The menu is clear and easy to navigate. It has the turn by turn voice, auto rerouting, and the 3D look that most people are looking for. It will allow you to search for businesses by name or if you just want to find a gas station near by. You are able to go online and add or edit addresses so that you can preplan you trip and save frequently used addressed into a favorite category. Where I feel that TeleNav is lacking is for a program that 1) I am paying for and 2) Has access to a online database of maps it needs to have more up to date information. There are streets that were added 3-4 years ago in my city that don't show up on the map. I have also had trouble finding some businesses because they are no longer at the location I have been given directions to. All in all this is a good program with a lot of good features but you may be better off Google'n the place you want to go to just to make sure that it's still there.

Now on to Nav4All.

Well I'll give you the Cliff Notes version first:

I HATE IT!!!!

OK (deep breath)......with that said I'll go into more detail.

I just found out about this program today and jumped on it. Just looking at the website I thought this program would have some potential but after reading the installation instructions I got a little worried. It asks you to go in and change Java settings before downloading the program. Something about using GPRS and not EDGE I think. I don't understand this phone that well. After downloading OTA the program prompts you to select your language and then to set up your GPS receiver.

When you open the program you start off in the main menu with a number of options you can select. Some are more advanced than most people will need but I liked the fact that I had more ways to find a location. I had a very hard time navigating the menus due to the fact that the program seems to have been made for another type of phone. Many menus have two prompts that are at the bottom corners of the screen. It looks as if they are there to be selected by the two buttons that most phones have just below the screen. There is no way to select them with the trackball or any of the buttons around it. I looked at the website to see if there was a users guide but that seems to be in the works.

I was able to use the GPS to find my location with no problem but when I tried to scroll the map it took a long time to load the new area. I also found that just as with TeleNav streets are missing that can be found on Google Maps or BB Maps. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use it for much longer because the menu started to change colors after a few minutes of use even after exiting the program and reopening it. After exiting the program the backlight on the screen would not turn off so I just dumped the program all together. If somebody wants to try this program out and see if they get better results let me know.

Here are links to the different programs:

BB Maps
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...berry_maps.jsp

TeleNav
    http://telenav.com/

Nav4All
    http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com...100.php?m=8100

Well there you have it. If there is any part of what I wrote that is inaccurate or you feel that something needs to be added feel free to say something. I'm still new here and learning everyday.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Re: Nav4All review (and the other GPS Programs too)

sorry didnt know about this section, thanks for moving it

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

aimeekelley no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    askme

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~nav4all SUCKS!!! I downloaded and it caused my BB to freeze up. Then when I tried to delete it it took three times before it was gone. Now when I do a battery pull I get a java error when it boots back up! Take it from me don't bother trying it out!

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Like I said............it's no good. I didnt have any trouble removing it, too bad to hear that.

bpomeroy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24450BFA

Also, try mapquest navigator - it gives voice prompts and does a good job of redoing the route if you go off course. And its free right now.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks for the info these really helps also

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~too bad they don't have it for the 8100

PIN/ID
    24450BFA

If your talking about mapquest navigator / the version for the 7103 works in the pearl. Thats what I am using. / Just put in your phone nomber and they will send you the OTA link

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im having trouble with the site. I put my phone number in and no luck. Can I do it from my BB or does it have to be from a PC

PIN/ID
    24450BFA

this is the link that was sms'ed to me for ota / http://mqnav.telmap.com/mquota/clien.../7130e/mqn.jad

PIN/ID
    24450BFA

PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Thanks that worked better. Did you have any problems getting it to find the GPS signal cus it's giving me a lot of trouble

PIN/ID
    24450BFA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~at first yes. Try a battery pull, that worked for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast