Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everyone since I have had my 8300 now for about a week thought some ... Smartphone Reviews forum

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

My mini curve review

Advertisement

Hi everyone since I have had my 8300 now for about a week thought some of you might be interested to hear my impressions of how's its going.
    This is my 3rd BB (I also have the pearl and an 8800) and I have to say its probably my favorite so far.
    First the good stuff:

Great screen - brightest and crispiest I have seen on a BB, fantastic for videos, browsing and imaging. Very good quality screen protector seems much clearer and less prone to scratching then the pearl's

Media player - hallelujah!!! BB now does full screen video which means that combined with the new Roxio software to resize videos that comes with the phone, this little beaute will become a real travel companion for those long commuting and flying hours... Also, RIM have done a great thing fitting this one with a 3.5 headphone jack, my Senheiser CX300's sound very nice with it... Who needs a video iPod when you have full screen on this thing?! .
    The image gallery and MP3 player interfaces are also much slicker and the whole media experience feels like its been enhanced since the 8800 and the pearl.

Keyboard and build - is very solid. I love the new rubberised sides, makes this BB feel very nice in your hands. None of the looseness and sometimes downright flimsyness one experiences with the pearl or the 8800... everything just seems to be very solidly put together on this BB. Some have mentioned that the keyboard is better than the 8800's, I'm not sure that's true, suffice to say I find both equally good but not perfect.

Camera - Wow! The most impressive thing about this cam is not just the good image quality but its the responsiveness! As good or better than the pearl. Have you ever used any of those mobile phone cameras (especially the 20000000000MP ones from SonyEricsson and Nokia) where you click and then wait and then... wait and then.... wait a bit more and only then the shutter actually clicks? And then there's the wait for the image to store... Well the curve just snaps the shot when you want it to. No frills or complications. Simple effective and very usable. Great UI, kind of like the pearl but slightly more accomplished and smoother. IQ is not bad at all for a 2MP.

Size and weight - RIM have corrected the awful mistake they have made with the 8800 when they made that good phone too big (bigger than the 8700 it replaced). the 8300 is small! To realize just how small and light and convenient this BB is, I just need to drop it into my jeans pocket and ooops, forget about it I sometimes wish it was just a tad thinner but otherwise this is the smallest lightest QWERTY BB to date!

The bad:
    Very little really, I'm a bit disappointed that RIM have not refreshed the BB browser, its in serious need of an update. OM runs just fine on this but I hate being stuck with just one browser.
    UI slickness and speed - somehow feels less smooth and refined than the 8800. Don't get me wrong its not slow its just that the 8800 is so refined... the trackball seems to skip sometimes, especially when scrolling long pages on pinstack and long lists or emails. Hopefully a software upgrade will smooth these kinks out.
    Battery life - mmmmm not as impressive as I hoped. Seems to drain quite quickly. I'm a heavy user and pretty much need to recharge it every day I guess its about the same as the pearl. the 8800 is definitely better.
    My last negative is a totally personal peeve, I just don't like the grey plastic finish of the front and back sides, feels cheap to me. The screen frame and BB buttons area's silver mirror finish is lovely and very classy, but I think a satin black finish (like the 8800's) for the rest of the front and back panels combined with the gorgeous ruberissed sides would have looked so so much cooler.... But that's just my taste

Over all, a definite BB winner. Think I'm going to keep this one. Was thinking about getting an iPhone but now I have lost interest... This device is so accomplished and does so much so well.
    Just hope RIM will release an updated OS soon with better battery life and smoother scrolling.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: My mini curve review

Thanks for the review. Now if AT&T would get off the stick.

Rcbjr
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~great review, thank you

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

And tmo!
    Very nice review. Thanks for taking the time to share!

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Well written review, thanks for the insight.

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

The more I read about them the more I want to get my hands on one. Sad considering ive had my pearl for only a few months.

slider8300 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

Well done and I hope I can enjoy it someday..AT&T are you listening????

jerms no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~awseome... All I have to say is cdm-who?

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Man I love all this chatter about the Curve. I feel like getting ready for a big game in high school. I am so ready for this device its not even funny. This device is going to be nasty!thanks again for the review. Nicely done. Now I'm going to go change my shirt because of all the drool!

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

Great review; short & sweet, yet educational and honest. I might just switch when Rogers decides to let me have one.
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

KITTYblack no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E9DE1F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~love your review! very excited about getting "Curve-d". Does anyone know when its coming to T-Mobile?

andykhoang no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f25cd0

Are you referring to the curve as the 8300?

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ cheers for your comments guys, glad you find my blurbs relevant
    Two points I forgot to mention in my original post are:
    Speller feature - works a treat! Using it now I can't believe no one thought of this before in a smartphone... Feels so natural and useful to have it there, especially when you consider that typing on a mini qwerty kb can get a little messy sometimes... the nice thing is that its very well implemented, and you can teach the dictionary words it doesn't know which also works well. I have it set to check my spelling before the email is sent (like outlook works) and I find it very useful for ironing out those embarrassing typos

Internet speed - although this BB doesn't have 3G, wifi and despite the fact that my network (O2 UK) doesn't even support EDGE, browsing GPRS speed on this babe is amazing. Much faster than our HTC window$ brick mobile was on our home WIFI!!! Much Faster than the 3G version of the 8700 I tried a couple of months ago (O2 does support fast 3G data rates). Seriously, using OM 3.1 on it, pages come up as fast as they do on my poowerbook!!! In fact in recent days I have been using the curve for much of my simple browsing as is so much more comfortable than a big heavy computer....

RG
    RG no está en línea Stack level 1

Awesome review...thanks for sharing with the group. Will Verizon get the Curve this year?? RG

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

Thanks for posting. I am coming from an 8700 do you think I should upgrade to the curve or 8800?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast