So I’ve been using both MapQuest and TeleNav for GPS services and I thought I ... Smartphone Reviews forum

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

MapQuest vs. Telenav

Advertisement

So I’ve been using both MapQuest and TeleNav for GPS services and I thought I might do a quick review about both programs.

Interface – Overall, both are well designed programs. The interfaces are easy to use and the menus are well placed. The on-screen display of MapQuest is a little easier on the eyes due to the availability of night mode, but neither are difficult to read. TeleNav does have a more “polished” look to the software in my opinion, but both get the job done equally as well. The one feature that TeleNav has over MapQuest that I personally like is the estimated time or arrival on the map screen.

Traffic updates – TeleNav wins this one. MapQuest does update just like TeleNav does, however TeleNav will automatically adjust the route if needed to severe traffic, MapQuest does not do this. Also when it comes to the display of traffic on the route TeleNav does a much better job. MapQuest gives you a small traffic symbol on the screen while TeleNav highlights the route in red to let you know that there is traffic. I did not notice any difference between the two in the accuracy of traffic reports or the average speed, the major difference is in how they tell you about it.

Locating the GPS location of the user – TeleNav again wins this one. I was away this weekend and was trying to get directions in Florida. MapQuest kept giving me “cannot find your location error messages” and could only do static directions. TeleNav picked up where I was immediately and was able to give me directions to where I needed to go. This was also not the first time that MapQuest had not been able to find my location, I have never had that problem with TeleNav.

Search functions – TeleNav wins again. I put in the search field to find a business located in Norwalk, CT. MapQuest could not find the business, and instead gave me locations of businesses that were not even in the same state (maybe it was using my current location in New York? No idea on that one). TeleNav however gave me the correct listing as the first result. This happened with a number of searches as well. I also experienced difficulties searching for locations of things along routes with MapQuest (things like looking for eating locations or gas).

Overall – Overall TeleNav wins. I have cancelled my MapQuest account and will be sticking with TeleNav. The issues with searching I could deal with, even the odd traffic update I could handle. What did it for me was this weekend when I was lost in the middle of Florida and MapQuest had no idea where I was and could not help me. Standing in the same location TeleNav picked up where I was and give me directions to the hotel. I will not use a program that is going to leave me stranded with no idea where I am, that defeats the purpose of having GPS in the first place.
    Last edited by I7oobie; 01-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

Re: MapQuest vs. Telenav

My vote goes to MapQuest, I tried both but I think MapQuest has a better user interface plus the night vision
    Best regards

Jorge Ledesma
    PIN 2440BE7C

www.blackberrygtd.com

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

I have to agree with psi chick, I found Telenav to be the best choice in my opinion, it also has more than just 2 route types. The biggest problem I have with Telenav is it's not very friendly to voice dialing while navigating but Mapquest works just fine with it but all the plus's overshadow the negatives. I found Mapquests key assigned a bit awkward on my 8300, I could never get used to manipulating the trackball while driving (I know, bad idea) but Mapquest has some functions that only work with the trackball. I've tried a whole pile of navigating software and I'm still stuck on Telenav, however, Telmap comes in at a close second for me, but that's probably because I love the British accent on Telmap.

cousinbrucie no está en línea Stack level 1

I have only used TelNav and quickly got fed up with it. I found that it took me off of a parkway (many times) only to put me back on it immediately. In addition, it had me get off because of "heavy traffic ahead" by ignoring the warning I was able to continue all the way at or above the posted speed limit for the rest of my commute. This happened all too often. Maybe this is more problematic on Long Island and Brooklyn (my daily commute) but I would think twice before using TelNav again.

" I found that it took me off of a parkway (many times) only to put me back on it immediately."

Hehe, you picked the shortest route. It has done that to me too on the interstate but since I could see on the map what it was about to do I just ignored it. Telenav is kind of anal about "shortest" route but hey, going off and getting back on probably saved you a few feet of travel. It sent me through a parking lot once on the shortest route. I've seen the traffic warnings as well and never really saw any at times. I think that's probably the delay from the traffic reporting facility not Telenav. Maybe Telenav should get it's reports from some other place. By the same token I've used Google Maps to show the traffic and it's not very accurate at times either.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    So I’ve been using both MapQuest and TeleNav for GPS services and I thought I might do a quick review about both programs.

Interface – Overall, both are well designed programs. The interfaces are easy to use and the menus are well placed. The on-screen display of MapQuest is a little easier on the eyes due to the availability of night mode, but neither are difficult to read. TeleNav does have a more “polished” look to the software in my opinion, but both get the job done equally as well. The one feature that TeleNav has over MapQuest that I personally like is the estimated time or arrival on the map screen.

Traffic updates – TeleNav wins this one. MapQuest does update just like TeleNav does, however TeleNav will automatically adjust the route if needed to severe traffic, MapQuest does not do this. Also when it comes to the display of traffic on the route TeleNav does a much better job. MapQuest gives you a small traffic symbol on the screen while TeleNav highlights the route in red to let you know that there is traffic. I did not notice any difference between the two in the accuracy of traffic reports or the average speed, the major difference is in how they tell you about it.

Locating the GPS location of the user – TeleNav again wins this one. I was away this weekend and was trying to get directions in Florida. MapQuest kept giving me “cannot find your location error messages” and could only do static directions. TeleNav picked up where I was immediately and was able to give me directions to where I needed to go. This was also not the first time that MapQuest had not been able to find my location, I have never had that problem with TeleNav.

Search functions – TeleNav wins again. I put in the search field to find a business located in Norwalk, CT. MapQuest could not find the business, and instead gave me locations of businesses that were not even in the same state (maybe it was using my current location in New York? No idea on that one). TeleNav however gave me the correct listing as the first result. This happened with a number of searches as well. I also experienced difficulties searching for locations of things along routes with MapQuest (things like looking for eating locations or gas).

Overall – Overall TeleNav wins. I have cancelled my MapQuest account and will be sticking with TeleNav. The issues with searching I could deal with, even the odd traffic update I could handle. What did it for me was this weekend when I was lost in the middle of Florida and MapQuest had no idea where I was and could not help me. Standing in the same location TeleNav picked up where I was and give me directions to the hotel. I will not use a program that is going to leave me stranded with no idea where I am, that defeats the purpose of having GPS in the first place.
    I agree with most of these comments, having used both programs. To me, the big problem with Telenav is that they will not support any GPS puck except the one they sell, and they charge a premium for it. I've been able to get Mapquest to work with a Holux GPSlim386 when Telenav said that the GPS device wasn't working. On the other hand, the Mapquest screen does not show adequately on a BB 8100, whereas the Telenav screen does.

But to conclude, I've given up on both and bought a TomTom One 3rd Edition at $149, which is only slightly more than the cost of the Telenav puck, and the screen is much easier to read and you are not dependent on a data plan to load maps.

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

Thanks for the clear concise review!

lldru32 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Yeah thanks, for the review and the stackers who commented!

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

nrcapes - telenav does work with a puck other than the one that they sell. my boyfriend has a puck that he uses with his 8100 and it works perfectly. he got it for something like $40 on ebay lol. i'll have to ask him which one it is, but he's never had a problem.

cousinbrucie - the issue with going off the highway is the same on all gps programs i've found. mapquest, telenav, even bbmaps does that on occassion. as commented above, it's based on what type of route is chosen. as for the traffic, you have to remember that with all of these programs traffic updates are based on news reports and user reports, so they're not always 100% up to date. there might have been traffic that cleared up by the time you got there, it does happen. that's an issue with any traffic reporting service though.

hpak no está en línea Stack level 3

I have Mapquest 2.30, the release just before they started charging for the service. For me, I tried a whole bunch of nav programs, from Nav4All, amAze, Telenav, etc. Gotta, say that mapquest & telenav was the best of the bunch. What swayed me over to mapquest was that it was free at the time (although, not anymore) & it provided an easy to read, accurate directions. If telenav was a one time fee based service, I may look at it again, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mike mike© no está en línea Stack level 2

HAS ANYONE TRIED GARMIN MOBILE FOR BLACKBERRY???

the suscription is expensive .. but i love it .. live updates .. trafffic , weather and gas ...and everything else u can ask for .. and the directions are exactly like using the more expensive garmin units .. i love it

cj3_69 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204BE657
    Telenav on 8900 amazing!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~