Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Man u just saved my life, I was tempted to downgrade from my beautiful 8310 ... Smartphone Reviews forum

redoliver no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    A5K41T

Advertisement

Man u just saved my life, I was tempted to downgrade from my beautiful 8310 to the iphone...but I'm convimced that I should not.Great posting, but let me ask u or anybody, how come the battery for the 8320 lasts more than mine?? Mines lasts a dayand a half, are there different batteries for bb's??

bbpaul86 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i was actually going to get an iphone. after playing around with my friend's iphone-the coolness factor kinda died on me after having troubles with the virtual keyboard. i was playing NES games and all. overall, it was a very cool device. but i text a lot so i wanted something with a keyboard. since my cousin has the pearl, i looked up blackberries to see what the fuss is all about bb's. i found the curve 8320 and i thought it wasn't that bad compared with the iphone. then i went to a nearby t-mobile and got me a curve 8320. my very first bb. i had no previous experience with blackberries or knew about them. but when i got the curve....i was amazed at what this lil' thing could do. i couldn't be more happier with the bb family.

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    I had a iPhone for a couple months (1st Gen ) and the thing that I missed most was viigo. There are no comparable rss readers out there for the iPhone that even compare to viigo.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by redoliver View Post
    Man u just saved my life, I was tempted to downgrade from my beautiful 8310 to the iphone...but I'm convimced that I should not.Great posting, but let me ask u or anybody, how come the battery for the 8320 lasts more than mine?? Mines lasts a dayand a half, are there different batteries for bb's??
    What type of battery do you have? The 8320 is a blue battery with C-S2 on it.

It may also have to do with having GPS on the 8310, while the 8320 has wi-fi instead. Battery life on my 8320 was pretty phenomenal compared to non-BB phones I had previously.

Just to give everyone an update on my iPhone experience...

I'm actually getting used to the iPhone. I still will not say that I am as comfortable with it as I was with my Blackberry 8100 or 8320, which took me at most only 2 days to be familiar with, but I am warming up to it.

I still think the message event indicator can use a LOT more work. It only beeps/vibrates once when an email or message arrives, and I can barely hear it when it's in its sleeve in my pocket (volume at max).

Battery life is better since I recalibrated (run down and fully charged twice). I keep wi-fi on for about 8 hours per day and can go maybe 2 days now without having to recharge.

Email push/Mobile Me has not been updated to handle proxy-servers, so I'm still using a tedious method to sync my work Outlook. I actually de-activated my Gmail so that the only mail I get is the Gmail that is forwarded to my Mobile Me account and pushed to the phone (and replies set to use Gmail servers so it shows as from xxx@gmail.com).

Still no background running apps, so Facebook and AIM apps are nowhere near as useful as the BB versions. Still buggy as hell too...AIM will keep you signed on for 5 minutes or so after you leave the app, and it is supposed to send the messages received during that time, but people (including me) are reporting that it does not.

I'm getting used to typing on it, but still making a lot of mistakes especially with the letters closest to the edge. I'm also inadvertantly hitting a lot of icons when just handling the phone.

3G is no better than it was the first day I had it...new SIM card did nothing. I'm hoping the 2.1 OS will fix this or at least switch to 2G when the 3G signal is weak instead of just saying "no signal".

The eWallet app ($9.99 at the app store) is actually pretty well done. It is very customizable and can be used to store pretty much anykind of information you would need...ID, passwords, credit cards, etc. And it's not linked online or anything, so hopefully pretty secure. The other App I found pretty cool was the dark knight app that draws a joker face on any pics you have on the phone. I just thought it was a fun time-waster.

And just to comment on an observation I have been making with some of the iPhone and Apple "fans" that are in my office. A lot of them actually think the iPhone can do more than it actually does, which amazes me where they come up with this stuff (do they hear it from somewhere or what?). I have 2 very specific examples of this (both from 2 different people, both using the 2G iphone who have had theirs for 6 months or longer).

First guy told me that the GPS on the 3G iPhone is no better than the one on the 2G iphone. I told him the 2G iPhone has no GPS at all, but he tells me it does, and that's how Maps or whatever triangulates his position and that the one on the 3G iphone is the same. I told him that the 3G iPhone has REAL GPS, and only uses triangulation, which any phone can do with google maps, to narrow down the location before pinpointing with the real GPS. He still doesn't believe me for some reason, so I actually showed him how it shows a throbbing circle when using the triangulation and then puts a push-pin on the map when the GPS locates the actual location.

The 2nd example is a guy who told me you can program the Home button to do anything on a double click. I told him it only gives you 3 options..."home", "iPod", or "favorites". He said no, you can set it for any application. I ask him to show me and he goes to the menu to set it up, then realizes that I was right, you only have 3 options for the home-button double-click. Obviously this guy did not explore that function yet (although he had the phone for 6 months longer than I did), but he just assumed that it could just because he saw a setting that said "home button".

He is also convinced that I cannot sync my work Outlook with Mobile Me because I am doing something wrong. I can't convince him that the Mobile Me sync program doesn't have provision to hand proxy servers. He does not believe me, even though he does not have Mobile Me and has not set it up. I've done my homework...this is a common complaint. But alas, fanbois are still convinced that Apple can do no wrong, so it has to be me who is doing something wrong.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Once again reinforces, no Iphone for me!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

imzadi04 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2467F396
    This was a great review! I just recently became a member of the Blackberry and Pinstack family, upgrading my phone early to get a great deal on the Pearl 8110. Honestly, I did this because I was not sure when the new version of the iPhone was going to come out, and, since it was going 3G, I was not expecting the price drop on the phone that was announced. At first, I was upset about it and thought that I would limp along with my Pearl and then pay full price for the iPhone to get what I really had wanted all along. However, as the days and weeks have gone by, I have been nothing short of impressed with my Blackberry. I have a friend that has an iPhone and I sat around and compared my phone to his, and even with all the cool Apps that you can purchase for the iPhone, my friend was envious of the extreme flexibility and customizability of the Blackberry platform.

I will state that I am a HUGE fan of Apple and their various product lines, but in my view, based on my short work experience with the Blackberry, I think Apple has a long way to go to catch up with Blackberry, so I think the original author of the review is correct--RIM has nothing to worry about in the near future on the business end of the market. Personally, I don't use my Pearl to connect with work; I spend enough time there--I don't need them following me around. Instead, I use my Pearl to keep track of my personal e-mail accounts, as well as texting just about everyone I know. Sure, it may not have a browser that can be remotely compared with Safari, but that's why I downloaded Opera Mini, which is also lackluster compared to Safari, but is far better than any cell phone default browser ever has been. My phone is fun--I'm discovering ridiculous amounts of applications to download to make it even more fun, and the Blackberry community here at Pinstack is just as voraciously attached to their phones as iPhone users are to theirs.

Right now, I have no desire to buy the iPhone;. I am going to stick with my Pearl. Now all I have to do is come up with a good pet name for my Pearl. I have downloaded the Mac OSX Leopard theme for my Blackberry and I plan on purchasing the iPod Touch to download all my music to. I honestly have the best of both worlds--a truly world class phone that keeps me in touch with everyone and also keeps track of everything in one tidy place, and a device that I can add music and movies to and listen and watch at my leisure. I may never have to leave my house again! Viva la Blackberry (I have no idea if a Blackberry would be a masculine or feminine noun in French, so I just went with the feminine, as my phone will probably get a girl's name anyway)!

Just found another BIG annoyance with the iPhone...

Not only can you not make ring/tone profiles like on a BB and customize what event does what, but the volume control on the iPhone seems to be arbitrary.

I set the volume in the sound menu to full. I go to home screen. I put phone to sleep. I wake phone up. I go to sound menu again. Volume is now towards the bottom. And this is REPEATABLE. I thought i was going crazy at first because no matter how many times i set the ring volume at full, it always reverted back to around the bottom/middle of the range...no wonder I keep complaining I can't hear the message and ringer when it's in my pocket, it keeps lowering the volume to near the bottom every time I put it to sleep!

I did some googling and turns out this is a common problem and there are supposed to be separate volume controls for depending on what the phone is doing (apps, ipod, ringer, etc.). Unfortunately they are not being separated correctly with this OS, so one impacts the other. I also learned when researching this problem that the phone has the capability to set specific ringtones to specific contacts, but no matter what you set it at it'll use the default ring.

What next? Why don't they just give us a keypad that we can dial but not actually make any calls?

Rather than finding things that surprise me and make me happier with the phone, I am finding things that surprise me and piss me off more and more.
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 07-30-2008 at 04:23 PM.

One Week Update to iPhone 3G vs. 8320 Curve

Ok, had the phone officially 1 week now, and most of you probably already know how I feel about the iPhone.

Hands down, this is probably one of the worst mobile phone experiences I have had. I can't believe people actually stand in line for this thing! It's cool and all, but no where near worth the hype, especially with the problems I have been suffering (and i'm not talking about the limitations of the software or the quirks...i'm talking about problems where the Apple people tell me, "it's not supposed to do that.").

To summarize the good things: iPod, design, physical quality, cool UI, App store, 16gb (or 8gb) of storage, web browser, screen size/resolution.

To summarize the bad things: inefficient UI, lots of bugs, iTunes, limited ways to sync emails/cal/contacts, price plan, 3G problems, lack of customization, none of the small features that make BB so good, and the fact that I actually do feel like a kid instead of a professional when i use it at the office, and AT&T customer service is like talking to a bunch of zombies on the rag (T-mo was always pleasant to deal with).

I actually have an appointment with the Apple store friday for them to figure out the 3G problem and the ringer problem since the ringer volume isn't supposed to change with other apps.

And I think I pretty much screwed myself when i got the iPhone, when I should've waited a couple more months anyway until my T-mo contract actually expired instead of taking the ETF-free cancellation. If i return the iPhone within the 30 day remorse period, I have to port my number somewhere to keep it (had number for 10 years, not about to lose it) until the Bold comes out in September. I can't port it to a pre-paid plan (you can port from a pre-paid, but not to a prepaid). I can't go back to T-mo without signing a new contract, and I can't stay with AT&T if I cancel this contract. One option would be to cancel at the end of the remorse period, jump to T-mo and use their remorse period (only 14 days though...don't think Bold will be out by the end of that). The stupid AT&T rep actually suggested that I return the iphone and keep my account, use an unlocked phone on my ATT account, and then buy the BB at full price when it comes out since I wouldn't be able to get a discount since it wouldn't be a new contract. I actually asked her why she even suggested such a stupid option...why wouldn't i just keep the iphone and sell it when I have to pay full price for the BB bold anyway?

And that seems to be the only option I see...keeping the iphone until the BB Bold comes out, then changing my plan (and extending contract) to the BB plan and pay full price for the bold and hope that I can cover the cost by selling the iPhone.

The other option is to keep the iPhone and hope they issue software updates that'll at least take care of the ringer and 3G problem, since the quirks of the phone I can live with...it's just the PROBLEMS with the phone that is pissing me off. Even though it's not out and I never used it, just knowing the intrinsic features I would rather have the Bold. If anyone can give me any other options to get me into the Bold and out of the dark-side, i'd appreciate the suggestion.

imzadi04 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2467F396
    Your horror story with the iPhone further entrenches me in the BlackBerry category. I wish you luck in getting yourself back into the loving arms of BlackBerry as soon as you are able! Hopefully you don't lose your mind between now and when the Bold comes out. I'm crossing my fingers for you!
    Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

-- Basho --

redoliver no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    A5K41T
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno View Post
    What type of battery do you have? The 8320 is a blue battery with C-S2 on it.

It may also have to do with having GPS on the 8310, while the 8320 has wi-fi instead. Battery life on my 8320 was pretty phenomenal compared to non-BB phones I had previously.
    Yep, that's the one that I have. I'm gonna try turning gps off to see how it affects battery life, if its considerable; I might just keep it off all time or simply charge the phone everyday.

marc_madison no está en línea Stack level 1
    Awsome review thanks for the comparison and honesty BB fo life~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Great review, some folks will try and stick with the iphone, but the majority of people who have had Blackberries come back to Blackberry. For the features and EASE of operation, there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Great review, some folks will try and stick with the iphone, but the majority of people who have had Blackberries come back to Blackberry. For the features and EASE of operation, there is no comparison.
    Not only do some folks try to stick with the iphone, but some are in denial about any problems that thousands of owners have complained about...

for example the 3G problem. The message boards indicate that this weak-signal problem is happening WORLDWIDE on the other carriers that it was released to, yet you'll get people who disregard this and post saying that it's not the phone but that it's AT&T's network that has always had problems and blah blah blah. Uh, I didn't know that AT&T's network reached into London and Australia...but these Apple fanboys have to say something to maintain that Apple is perfect. And when reviews come in complaining about the same thing and how a Nokia with 3G next to the iphone will have full bars while the iphone will have 1 bar of 3G, they'll say something like the iphone's 1 bar is equal in strength to the Nokia's 5 bars, or that even if the Nokia's saying 5 bars of 3G it's actually the EDGE signal or some other stupid shiz. My ex-GF said I am too picky for the iphone and my expectations were too high (she's one of those "fans")...uh, if people pay so much for a phone and service and stand in line for it, wouldn't you think that it should live up to at least mediocre expectations, not to mention higher expectations. Last time I looked, expecting something to work the way it's supposed to is no where near a high expectation, but a GIVEN (especially when it's called an "iphone 3G").

My biggest worry about this is that it's hardware related and a firmware won't be able to fix it and whether they roll out the update prior to my remorse period or not so I can at least sleep a little better knowing whether I had to return the phone or not. And unlike the Mobile Me problems, Apple has not said a whisper about the 3G signal problem.
    Last edited by mrdeeno; 08-01-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Whoever said Apple customer service and the genius bar is great is lying out their effin' teeth. They are nice and pleasant, I'll give them that, but they are as incompetent as any other mediocre company's customer service.

After dealing with Apple and AT&T for the past week trying to figure out my 3G problem, Apple suggested I replace the phone last night. The Apple rep told me to check online to see if they have them available since it was after closing, so she went ahead and made an appointment since all models were available. I said that I did not want to waste another trip to the Apple store if they won't have any...I TOLD HER THIS because it would REALLY PISS ME OFF if i had to waste time and gas. She said as long as the store is showing they have them in stock and they really do have them, I should be fine.

I go in to day to get the replacement. The guy says he has none. I told him the website said they do, but he tells me that is the "sellable" stock, they can't replace my phone with those and would have to do it with a service replacement (new, but no shiny box). I told him that this is EXACTLY what i told the girl I did not want to do last night...WASTE MY FREAKIN' TIME going to the Apple store for nothing. She even made an appointment for me to WASTE MY TIME.

He apologized and said he will order one, and they may get a shipment in later today, but that's all he can do and it doesn't look like they'll have any until Monday or later.

I called Apple and complained about this. This is by far one of the WORST experiences I have had with any new device, and since most other times I had a problem with customer service from another company, at least they didn't instruct me to waste my time/effort...or even make an appointment for me to waste my time/effort. And considering this is only my 2nd Apple product (iPod being the first with which I have had no problems), this does not bode well for customer loyalty.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast